British Speedway Forum
adz_mft

Mildenhall 2023

9 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

What is it?  13 or 14 falls and exclusions so far, and 2 riders withdrawn injured and a 3rd being looked at by the medics.    

Has nothing improved?

The place is a death trap

4 hours ago, rearingtogo said:

The place is a death trap

Not at all!

Todays track was grippy probably cause of all the rain we've had recently and of course many youngsters through inexperience and a lack of riding struggle to get round a grippy track!

Bowtell and Complin had no problems which shows that it was more a case of abilities than the track being unrideable.

I'm sure that had todays meeting been in the one of the top 2 Leagues then the racing would have decent caused the better standard of rider would of coped better with the track.

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

Good to see Lee banging in the points.

28 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

Not at all!

Todays track was grippy probably cause of all the rai we've had recently and of course many youngsters through inexperience and a lack of riding struggle to get round a grippy track!

Bowtell and Complin had no problems which shows that it was more a case of abilities than the track being unrideable.

I;m sure that had todays meeting been in the one of the top 2 Leagues then the racing would have  decent caused the better standard of rider would of coped better with the track.

So in today's case, not suitable for NDL racing then?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Unfortunately speedway in 2023 offers little opportunity to practise with so few tracks available for such stuff and theirs much fewer riders about than what their has been in the past. This has resulted in many youngsters being inexperienced when facing track conditions that aren't slick and riders such as Fen Tigers number 7 Richardson being put into this level of racing when they aren't ready! - So yes maybe the track wasn't suitable under these 2023 circumstances, but in my book it was a decent racetrack which capable riders like Bowtell and Complin showed as much!

- I think you put todays Mildenhall V Kent line ups in a match on any track that is a bit heavy after a lot of rain then you would have the same scenario of riders crashing and many re runs and hold ups.

• Like 1

Mildenhall stock car , sorry speedway track AGAIN providing poor entertainment, long delays and causing injury and expensive repair bills,

This is not the first time the Mildenhall track has had problems. Surely with so many rider collisions, falls and delays the referee has reported that the tracK wasn’t fit for racing at NDL level 

7 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Mildenhall stock car , sorry speedway track AGAIN providing poor entertainment, long delays and causing injury and expensive repair bills,

This is not the first time the Mildenhall track has had problems. Surely with so many rider collisions, falls and delays the referee has reported that the tracK wasn’t fit for racing at NDL level 

If it was that dangerous would he have not called it off?? 

The ref has the final say no?

• Like 2

Yes the referee should have called it off ……….but the issue I guess is that both Bottell and Morley ( both CL riders) would have said it’s rideable. The other dozen novices are way out of their depth on the well soaked Mildenhall stock car/ speedway track. 

Once again the public let down with endless delays.

Isn’t it av pbout time the finishing times of meetings were officially published ? 

Same track, same problems. When packed hard Mildenhall can produce some brilliant racing but when patchy its a processional venue blighted by fallers and injuries. The small nature means that races don't get too strung out and rider contact can and will happen. Its clear that on the grippy/patchy days it needs to be attacked and those who can get clear track and who have benefitted from deeper tracks at higher levels cope better but Morley has been around enough there times, Josh Warren knows the track well and Alcock and Ablitt aren't first year rookies. Nothing against Richardson on a personal level but every pound of damage he causes or injury as a result of his actions lays at the hands of the Mildenhall promotion as they are simply tracking a rider who isn't ready. 

There were fallers and injuries at Belle Vue recently so its obvious its a sport that contains plenty of risk but id wager that we are unlikely to be having such a discussion about the NSS again whereas it feels a matter of time before West Rows issues return. On its day Mildenhall is a brilliant place to watch Speedway but i have to wonder how many of the die hards will keep returning when the threat of long drawn out meetings hangs over them.

• Like 1

We can't help how the weather effects the track at the end of the day. The track staff didn't choose to have it how it was yesterday. A massive downpour the day before soaked the track. They did a great job to get it to the condition it was. The previous week there were no issues so fingers crossed with a bit of luck with the weather it will go back to that again 

11 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Todays track was grippy probably cause of all the rain we've had recently and of course many youngsters through inexperience and a lack of riding struggle to get round a grippy track!

I'm sure that had todays meeting been in the one of the top 2 Leagues then the racing would have decent cause the better standard of rider would of coped better with the track.

11 hours ago, StevePark said:

That's a tough question to solve @StevePark if you only allow NDL racing on perfect slick tracks, how will they ever learn to race a more difficult track? At the same time don't want injuries!

Even someone like Dominic Kubera who has reached GP podiums couldn't get round the Glasgow track, is that because he's only ever been trained on fast & slick Polish circuits?

• Like 2

On Facebook Lee Complin has posted that the track was 'spot on' which seems to confirm that the more experienced riders can get round without issue. 

Since the NDL was weakened 3 years ago or so the impact has been that there are too many riders in teams who probably shouldn't be racing at that level. 

I very much doubt BSPL will do anything about it as they caused it, but it leaves tracks like Mildenhall in an invidious position. 

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Yes the referee should have called it off ……….but the issue I guess is that both Bottell and Morley ( both CL riders) would have said it’s rideable. The other dozen novices are way out of their depth on the well soaked Mildenhall stock car/ speedway track. 

Once again the public let down with endless delays.

Isn’t it av pbout time the finishing times of meetings were officially published ? 

Did you attend this meeting Bob ? Yesterday’s meetings was completed at 6.35

On 4/17/2023 at 9:29 AM, szkocjasid said:

That's a tough question to solve @StevePark if you only allow NDL racing on perfect slick tracks, how will they ever learn to race a more difficult track? At the same time don't want injuries!

Even someone like Dominic Kubera who has reached GP podiums couldn't get round the Glasgow track, is that because he's only ever been trained on fast & slick Polish circuits?

Agree,remember in 80s/ 90s at Powderhall/ Berwick when the juniors got a chance at reserve in the Main Team most of them struggled in Heat 2 because there was dirt on the track.They were only used to riding  after meeting on slick tracks.Today even some good riders struggle with heavy tracks because of modern machinery.

Something good is happening at Mildenhall with it regaining it's happy family feeling once again, thanks to all the hard wok everybody is putting in.
Customers are made to feel welcome, and the only other place that I've experienced that is the Isle of Wight, who have a wonderful set-up, that speedway in general could and should be learning from.

People moan about Mildenhall being a dangerous track, but then all tracks are dangerous, and I don't mean that literally, but wherever you race on a machine that are so highly tuned these days, with no brakes, then they're all dangerous from that point of view.

I agree that they do get a lot of riders falling/crashing etc; at Mildenhall, but nine times out of ten, it's the younger riders learning their trade that are falling/crashing, which is inevitable as this is a Development League club, not somewhere like Doyle, Bewley, Masters and so on race. 

Yesterday, I attended the meeting against Berwick, raced in front of a very health Bank Holiday crowd, and was equal in racing quality that I've seen at any level (I'm not talking GP's), and possibly the best meeting I've been lucky enough to witness at ANY level, for a couple of years now. 

So well done Mildenhall for all the hard work you are obviously putting, and well done Berwick, for coming and attacking the track, rather than being wary of it. Superb Meeting. 

• Like 5