British Speedway Forum

Not a bad old meeting a fair result I think 

5 minutes ago, Shockster said:

Fricke's lucky that only 1 guest is allowed per meeting or he'd be gone.

Yep he would be testing positive for covid next week ;)

We move on to the last catch-up match tomorrow. After that all teams will have ridden 10 matches- only 4 regular season to go !!

Monday August 17th Gorzow v Wroclaw programme start time 7pm 1st race  7.30pm N Sport and Premier Sport 1 (7.30pm)

Links

http://spedway.ucoz.lv/

http://www.maniak.tv/mk7

http://www.drhtv.com.pl/drhtv-2.html

https://daddylive.live/embed/stream-75.php

Racecard pages 14 and 15  https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:e70ca1f3-d920-4aee-905d-3bc7bceb4ab0#pageNum=15

Edited by racers and royals

16 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Pedersen obviously has beef with vaculick,?? gave him no room twice and that was being kind to pedersen and then looking back at him coming off last bend 

Pedersen has beef with everybody doesn't he? Even his own pit crew :lol:

Also, unrelated... Why is Lindback, Lindbaeck in Poland... surely his name is his name?

... And I predict a bog roll shortage soon in Poland :rofl:

Being relatively new to the rules of Polish speedway, can someone explain the nominated heats? Do you have to put your highest two scorers in heat 15? I ask this as it regularly seems that this is the standard selection process. Watching Lublin vs Leszno and seeing Lublin 42-36 up after heat 13, I wondered why Lublin didn't use Zagar for heat 14 to simply get the meeting won?

7 minutes ago, Speedway28 said:

Being relatively new to the rules of Polish speedway, can someone explain the nominated heats? Do you have to put your highest two scorers in heat 15? I ask this as it regularly seems that this is the standard selection process. Watching Lublin vs Leszno and seeing Lublin 42-36 up after heat 13, I wondered why Lublin didn't use Zagar for heat 14 to simply get the meeting won?

Yes 2 highest scorers in heat 15, although they can be replaced by 6 and 7(14 and 15)

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Pedersen has beef with everybody doesn't he? Even his own pit crew :lol:

Also, unrelated... Why is Lindback, Lindbaeck in Poland... surely his name is his name?

... And I predict a bog roll shortage soon in Poland :rofl:

Spelling related,Sayfutdinov and Loktaev  both end with a W on Polish captions.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I've not noticed this, I'll keep an eye out for that. I wonder why though, surely you spell your name how you spell your name. It's a bit like in Eurovision when France refer to Britain as Grande Bretagne or Germany as Allemagne. If Germany call themselves Germany they should be referred to as Germany... although don't they refer to themselves as Deutschland? I'm confused :unsure:

The Laguta brothers first names are different in Poland as well as Gleb Chug’s, seems like a Russian to Polish thing! Although have noticed Lindbaeck and a couple of others as well

47 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Klindt rides for Gorzow tonight.

I’m assuming he has signed as their second “guest rider”? Looks like they have well and truly given up hope with Kasprzak

Just now, Najjer said:

I’m assuming he has signed as their second “guest rider”? Looks like they have well and truly given up hope with Kasprzak

Yes- it`s been reported that Tungate refused to sign as it would have probably been just the 1 meeting- because you cannot guest for more than one team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Bear in mind the Russian names are translations from the Russian script, cyrillic, so there is no official spelling in our alphabet. We convert to how we would spell the names and the Poles their way. Their w is a v sound so what we would call Victor would be Wiktor in Polish, and something looking totally different but sounding pretty much the same n Russian. 

Going back over the years the English translations have varied. Take Grigori Chlinovsky, aka Grigory Khlinovsky. Likewise Grigori/Grigory/Grigorij Laguta.

The problem gets more complex with Latvia where two alphabets are in use, Russian and Latvian so an ethnic Russian's name in his own language may be Andrei Lebedev (check the back of his kevlars) or Andzejs Lebedevs in Latvian!

In English we have very few accents over or under letters like the e in cafe. Other languages have many. I don't want to wrestle with the keyboard too much but taking the Antonio Lindback case. The a in Lindback in Swedish has a double dot accent over the a, known in German as an umlaut,  making his name phonetically closer to Lindbeck. In English we don't use that accent so we usually add an e to the vowel, hence the occasional use of Lindbaeck. 

The English alphabet isn't flexible to accommodate all these accents, usually applied to vowels to change their sounds. We compromise, and in so doing often get the pronunciation of foreign names very wrong. A y in Swedish is usually pronounced more like ew or a g like a y. The Poles don't just mess with vowels which is why Lech Walesa's name is pronounced Vawensa and Lodz as Woodz. In both cases the l has a bar across it, changing it to w. 

How do you cope? Compromise. We convert foreign names to our alphabet as best as we can  and the pronunciations accordingly. Other nations do the same. I remember being amused at the 1982 Intercontinental Final at Vetlanda announcer refer to Kelly Moron. Well, he as many things, but not that....

It works in reverse. The Russians don't use the letter h so to get close to that sound they use a mix of x and i. I learned this when I covered ice racing n Russia using a programme obviously written in Russian and with the names similarly treated. It took a while to find Jarmo Hirvasoja.....

So, it's all compromise in adjusting from one alphabet to another. Our lack of accents being used with vowels helps make English a tricky language to learn. 

Just a final one, Google Translate can offer some interesting translations. Dawid/Wiktor Leopard (Lampart) , Rafal Innkeeper (Karczmarz), Pawel Month (Miesiac). Oh and speedway to Zuzel, or .....Slag.......

Hope this makes sense. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1