British Speedway Forum
ch958

Jason Garrity

16 hours ago, midlandred said:

Really?  How does that work then?

Its explained in the rest of the post that you havent quoted with examples

14 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I don't see why speedway riders must be holier than thou, to be riders. I'm pretty sure many riders have a 'back catalogue' or skeletons in their cupboard. Many boxers have skeletons and back catalogues. I do understand speedway promoters getting worried about the affect on their gates. On the other hand, he might be a draw. 'Come and see the bad boy come good'!   

Its a fair point politey put.
I dont expect riders to be holier than thou - I doubt if many clubs would have a team lol.  Im not holier than thou myself nor do I claim to be.  We are probably all aware of a rider who has broken the law and done the time for less extreme crimes and been rehabilitated and come good in speedway and in life.
To me its down to the severity of what someone has done and it wasnt *just* burglary for Garrity.  For me it also would reflect on the sports credibility with the wider public, those who dont follow speedway but will quite happily jump on the back of the sport allowing someone convicted of his crimes being 'typical' of the people involved in the sport to object to speedway being allowed at a new or existing site

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Lioness said:

You judge me wrongly.  I care very strongly for the disabled individual he assaulted and put the fear of god into and basically ruined the final few years of their life.

You do realise he didnt just burgle the house?

Its also very telling the tone of your response to Fishersgate when you admit you wouldnt touch him with a bargepole compared to your rather aggressive responses towards me when I am saying the same thing.  I wonder why?

Apologies if I have come across as aggressive, that's really not my intention. I haven't said you don't care, I have said you don't seem very forgiving. Unlike you I'm not prepared to write somebody off for life for a crime they have committed, pleaded guilty to and served time for. 

He was found guilty of burglary, robbery and two counts of attempting to commit fraud.

My reasons for not touching him with a barge pole are purely Speedway related, but like I said, if I were a desperate promoter I may think differently. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

I'll give you £1 for every hypothetical person that physically attends a speedway meeting.

Edited to hypocritical 

The justice system, sentenced for so many years then get out after serving half the sentence ....hmm, prison overcrowding and the backlog of trials.

43 minutes ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Edited to hypocritical 

Sorry....couldn't resist!

• Like 1

With regards to this, (and coming from a HCB background) many people on here are unable to distinguish from the Can he...(the law of the land) and should he (an individuals opinion based on the strength and direction of said individual's moral compass). The answer for the first is irrefutably YES. The answer to the second is......

3 hours ago, Lioness said:

Its a fair point politey put.
I dont expect riders to be holier than thou - I doubt if many clubs would have a team lol.  Im not holier than thou myself nor do I claim to be.  We are probably all aware of a rider who has broken the law and done the time for less extreme crimes and been rehabilitated and come good in speedway and in life.
To me its down to the severity of what someone has done and it wasnt *just* burglary for Garrity.  For me it also would reflect on the sports credibility with the wider public, those who dont follow speedway but will quite happily jump on the back of the sport allowing someone convicted of his crimes being 'typical' of the people involved in the sport to object to speedway being allowed at a new or existing site

I agree, it is possible the tabloids could get create a negative story, if Jason was allowed back into the sport, but Oscar Wilde said 'there's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about'.

Is it likely a planning officer/committee would have it brought to their attention that 'speedway employs convicted criminals'? They seem to worry about how the surrounding public are  going to be affected, such as:

Will the roads be able to take the extra traffic, will the stadium have adequate parking, will the environment be affected, will the greasy motor bike types cause trouble in the area, the noise polution, etc etc

• Like 2

I saw him at derwentpark in 2018 i said then he was as high as a kite,speedway now should have nothing to do with him.

5 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I saw him at derwentpark in 2018 i said then he was as high as a kite,speedway now should have nothing to do with him.

If he gets another chance, it's obvious that he will be tested for drugs very quickly, & rightly so in my opinion.

4 hours ago, screm said:

He had probably the greatest deal ever, for him anyway, he got the parts but whether he paid for them could is another story.

I can’t speak for all the spares vans but I do know he had an account at one where he was told a person would sort his bills, I think then garrity was injured and when he came back the person did a runner from speedway, leaving the bill unpaid to this day, I believe it was around £900 

3 hours ago, topaz325 said:

The justice system, sentenced for so many years then get out after serving half the sentence ....hmm, prison overcrowding and the backlog of trials.

It has been the same for everyone for many years. The sentence handed down is the maximum an individual will serve. But the term is only set for half & parole can be applied for at that point. With the time served & the offender demonstrates good behavior whilst incarcerated, shows remorse for their previous actions with a plan to improve in society & follow a set plan with a registered probation office. The sitting panel will consider all aspects & decide if the applicant is safe for release.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Technik said:

It has been the same for everyone for many years. The sentence handed down is the maximum an individual will serve. But the term is only set for half & parole can be applied for at that point. With the time served & the offender demonstrates good behavior whilst incarcerated, shows remorse for their previous actions with a plan to improve in society & follow a set plan with a registered probation office. The sitting panel will consider all aspects & decide if the applicant is safe for release.

100%...

Many go into prison with alcohol/drug issues, often the issue which caused them to offend as they fed their habit, or were heavily under their influence of, on the day they did the crime itself..

Many then also come out on probation due to "getting clean" whilst inside, with the belief that, with support continuing, they don't then reoffend..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I can’t speak for all the spares vans but I do know he had an account at one where he was told a person would sort his bills, I think then garrity was injured and when he came back the person did a runner from speedway, leaving the bill unpaid to this day, I believe it was around £900 

He was hardly alone in this ... CovComp once published a list of riders who had run up a debt with them and showed no likelihood of paying. Possibly one reason why Geoff was so helpful to us was that we (that is, I) always paid up straight away.

• Like 1