British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
womble53

Somerset Closure

Interesting that the original post that I copied and pasted here from Facebook, has now been deleted. 

Going back and reading the statement again as it’s still posted here, just confuses matters further. Greg Daniels isn’t involved in the potential running of the speedway but is in the consortium to run the speedway… clear as mud again ey?

1 hour ago, RoundTheBoards said:

The whole thing sounds like a wind-up by some Walter Mitty on a fantasy trip.   there's no way any of this happened.

So the council turned down a planning application for a multi-million pound entertainment arena?      A planning application that doesn't even exist in the real world?

A music festival arena for 25,000 people.  That's going to cost £15M - £20M minimum (And I'm probably way under there), and sorry you just don't pop up a 25,000 capacity arena by registering a company at companies house the day before with former junior rider Greg Daniels as sole director, and sole shareholder with one £1 share.
But this multi-million pound arena can be funded by one appearance from Michael Jackson, Robbie Williams, Simply Red and The Killers.....  erm, OK.

Then we look at some of the gibberish posted.  "Un-vailing"?  And what are "bonified" contractors?  Is this some kind of fossilisation?
"All domains both .co & .com are registered with companies house."   No they're not!   Companies House register and regulate Limited Companies in England and Wales.  (Like the one Greg Daniels has a whole pound invested in).  They're nothing to do with any register of internet domain names!

Then we're expected to believe that this whole multi-million pound project to bring global music artists to Weston Super Mare has been brought crashing to the ground by a few phone calls with Neil Vatcher and Roscoe?
A Speedway club using the facilities isn't some massive money-spinner.  It would be bringing in chicken-feed compared to a Rihanna concert.  
Whether Henry Atkins can have a skid round on his bike isn't going to matter much to Bruce Springstein and Taylor Swift.  No way would the lack of speedway derail this project.

Sorry, but it's all Billy Bull****

Spot on that 

• Like 4

On 1/23/2023 at 11:31 AM, RoundTheBoards said:

The whole thing sounds like a wind-up by some Walter Mitty on a fantasy trip.   there's no way any of this happened.

So the council turned down a planning application for a multi-million pound entertainment arena?      A planning application that doesn't even exist in the real world?

A music festival arena for 25,000 people.  That's going to cost £15M - £20M minimum (And I'm probably way under there), and sorry you just don't pop up a 25,000 capacity arena by registering a company at companies house the day before with former junior rider Greg Daniels as sole director, and sole shareholder with one £1 share.
But this multi-million pound arena can be funded by one appearance from Michael Jackson, Robbie Williams, Simply Red and The Killers.....  erm, OK.

That would definitely create a sell out plus a world wide TV deal that the whole of UK speedway could live off for decades! :party:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

That would definitely create a sell out plus a world wide TV deal that the whole of UK speedway could live off for decades! :party:

And if he could sing "Rockin' Robin" it could save Swindon as well :D

Even the stuff that these Walter Mitty Somerset Superdome builders posted about Michael Jackson was cobblers.

They said   "you can see we are working on the same ethos as we did for Exeter City Football club who were in financial difficulty over 20 years ago. They were out the League, no crowd, holding boot sales to raise money. One visit from Michael Jackson, who didn’t even sing & a Match against Man Utd, they were back in the league & financially stable for a few more seasons in no time."

Actually Michael Jackson did visit Exeter City in June 2002.  It was arranged by the infamous bender and well-known spoon-nonce, Uri Geller, who was an Exeter director at the time.  (Is Geller behind the Weston-Super-Dome?).   The season following Jacko's visit, 2002-03, Exeter City dropped out of the Football League for the first time in 83 years, and took another 5 years to get back.

As for " We have done this in the past for Stoke city with Robbie Williams".    That sounds equally unlikely since Williams is a lifelong fan and shareholder in Stoke City's local rivals Port Vale.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 10:21 PM, RoundTheBoards said:

Even the stuff that these Walter Mitty Somerset Superdome builders posted about Michael Jackson was cobblers.

They said   "you can see we are working on the same ethos as we did for Exeter City Football club who were in financial difficulty over 20 years ago. They were out the League, no crowd, holding boot sales to raise money. One visit from Michael Jackson, who didn’t even sing & a Match against Man Utd, they were back in the league & financially stable for a few more seasons in no time."

Actually Michael Jackson did visit Exeter City in June 2002.  It was arranged by the infamous bender and well-known spoon-nonce, Uri Geller, who was an Exeter director at the time.  (Is Geller behind the Weston-Super-Dome?).   The season following Jacko's visit, 2002-03, Exeter City dropped out of the Football League for the first time in 83 years, and took another 5 years to get back.

As for " We have done this in the past for Stoke city with Robbie Williams".    That sounds equally unlikely since Williams is a lifelong fan and shareholder in Stoke City's local rivals Port Vale.

Unsurprisingly a google search for Robbie Williams and Stoke's stadium brings up no results. I'm not sure how recent this is supposed to be either as they've been owned by the co-founder of bet365 and one of Britain's richest men for the last 15+ years so it's unlikely they needed the extra cash.

As you say, the Jackson stuff is a load of rubbish too especially considering that 2 of the directors running the club at the time of his visit were later convicted of fraud. The FA Cup match against Man United is correct but it was the hard work of the Supporters Trust and ordinary fans that was the main reason the club survived. 

edit: Can't seem to find any evidence of Simply Red and Ipswich either!

Edited by The Cheese

39 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Unsurprisingly a google search for Robbie Williams and Stoke's stadium brings up no results. I'm not sure how recent this is supposed to be either as they've been owned by the co-founder of bet365 and one of Britain's richest men for the last 15+ years so it's unlikely they needed the extra cash.

As you say, the Jackson stuff is a load of rubbish too especially considering that 2 of the directors running the club at the time of his visit were later convicted of fraud. The FA Cup match against Man United is correct but it was the hard work of the Supporters Trust and ordinary fans that was the main reason the club survived. 

edit: Can't seem to find any evidence of Simply Red and Ipswich either!

With Mick Hucknall being a massive Manchester United fan, a link with Ipsich would seem as unlikely as Port Vale fanatic Robbie Williams supporting Stoke.

There is a big article in today's Speedway Star over about 3 pages (I haven't read it yet) about this Weston Super Mare thing and the (now deleted) crazy Facebook posting.  

Someone at the Star seems to have gone to some time and trouble to speak to people involved and fathom out what it is all about, so maybe there's some explanation there when I get round to reading it.

The article in today's SS certainly highlights the sheer incompetence of both parties, it's no wonder everyone who may be involved is distancing themselves from the project. IMHO neither of them are capable of conducting a serious business proposition and smack of the village fete committee (yes i know well suited in the BSPL).

It's an interesting read but what a monumental kcuf up!

Edited by Byker Biker
  • Like 1

I seem to recall that the Weymouth promoter who is involved alienated his landlord at Weymouth and various other people too.

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

I seem to recall that the Weymouth promoter who is involved alienated his landlord at Weymouth and various other people too.

Do you have examples of this, any proof? 

Is that the landlord that was paid £1648.00 per meeting to provide dirty un-swept changing rooms, flooded toilets and floodlights that never worked properly and received a financial backhander from Phil Bartlett to terminate his lease?

Edited by RebelUpstart

11 hours ago, RebelUpstart said:

Do you have examples of this, any proof? 

Is that the landlord that was paid £1648.00 per meeting to provide dirty un-swept changing rooms, flooded toilets and floodlights that never worked properly and received a financial backhander from Phil Bartlett to terminate his lease?

So as this whole mess continues to unravel, with posters above in the last few days seemingly proving that some of the claims in ‘the pitch’ were completely false about other projects - I’m assuming you may be Brian White based off your previous posts and username?

Are the claims made against Brian White true or are they false aswell?

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

So as this whole mess continues to unravel, with posters above in the last few days seemingly proving that some of the claims in ‘the pitch’ were completely false about other projects - I’m assuming you may be Brian White based off your previous posts and username?

Are the claims made against Brian White true or are they false aswell?

I was asked to do one thing and that was to contact Puxton Park to ask if they could accommodate speedway. They were interested but it wouldn't have been possible at that time. That was the one and only thing I was asked to do.

Everything after that is all my own work, emails with the North Somerset Planning Dept, Land Department, Local Councillors. It was always going to be me and Greg 50/50, there is and never was a consortium, this was Greg's idea so if it didn't happen he could blame a consortium, and walk away. Why he wanted to do that is beyond me. When I gained planning permission at Weymouth back in 2003 it was me only going through all same processes, I never hid behind a consortium and never considered doing that.

Unfortunately this is going to rumble on for another week or two as the Speedway Star are yet to talk to the councillors involved etc. Luckily I have all records of emails, text messages, messenger messages etc, some of which now have large parts deleted (I backed everything up) luckily.  

If you remember or saw, I posted on the Somerset Rebels facebook group asking for pictures as I needed them to put together a presentation for the councillors. I emailed a 10 page document outlining what was proposed for W-S-M Rebels, this is now being claimed as Greg's work.

My email and facebook accounts were hacked in December, during this time I was accused of personally posting on social media that I already had Planning Permission granted, a copy of this was sent to the councillors who of course were not happy, I have asked to see proof of this but to this day have not been shown.

I personally am not giving up on this, nothing will happen now until after the local elections in May, I was told this by the councillors at the beginning of the month, that's if they want to pursue this now after the fallout caused by the Facebbook post on Saturday. 

I received a cease and desist order from Shale Events Ltd on Saturday which isn't worth the paper it's written on. It has a Solicitor in Bridgwater copied in, I called them on Monday morning and they have no record of it being sent!

I personally feel really sorry for the Rebels supporters hoping this would happen and the BSPL who have been supportive from my initial call to them to make sure I wasn't trampling on anyone's toes before proceeding.

You simply couldn't make this up, Weston-super-NightMare!

11 minutes ago, RebelUpstart said:

I was asked to do one thing and that was to contact Puxton Park to ask if they could accommodate speedway. They were interested but it wouldn't have been possible at that time. That was the one and only thing I was asked to do.

Everything after that is all my own work, emails with the North Somerset Planning Dept, Land Department, Local Councillors. It was always going to be me and Greg 50/50, there is and never was a consortium, this was Greg's idea so if it didn't happen he could blame a consortium, and walk away. Why he wanted to do that is beyond me. When I gained planning permission at Weymouth back in 2003 it was me only going through all same processes, I never hid behind a consortium and never considered doing that.

Unfortunately this is going to rumble on for another week or two as the Speedway Star are yet to talk to the councillors involved etc. Luckily I have all records of emails, text messages, messenger messages etc, some of which now have large parts deleted (I backed everything up) luckily.  

If you remember or saw, I posted on the Somerset Rebels facebook group asking for pictures as I needed them to put together a presentation for the councillors. I emailed a 10 page document outlining what was proposed for W-S-M Rebels, this is now being claimed as Greg's work.

My email and facebook accounts were hacked in December, during this time I was accused of personally posting on social media that I already had Planning Permission granted, a copy of this was sent to the councillors who of course were not happy, I have asked to see proof of this but to this day have not been shown.

I personally am not giving up on this, nothing will happen now until after the local elections in May, I was told this by the councillors at the beginning of the month, that's if they want to pursue this now after the fallout caused by the Facebbook post on Saturday. 

I received a cease and desist order from Shale Events Ltd on Saturday which isn't worth the paper it's written on. It has a Solicitor in Bridgwater copied in, I called them on Monday morning and they have no record of it being sent!

I personally feel really sorry for the Rebels supporters hoping this would happen and the BSPL who have been supportive from my initial call to them to make sure I wasn't trampling on anyone's toes before proceeding.

You simply couldn't make this up, Weston-super-NightMare!

Thanks for that and being so open - Makes for interesting reading and pretty grim reading at the same time, as a fan wanting to see my team back on track.

From that post then, as perhaps expected, we can only assume there is no ‘blue chip’ backers involved for the consortium - as there isn’t even a consortium? And all the good news promised is simply pie in the sky. 

The Hancocks had their faults but at least they ran a tight and steady ship. This whole fiasco is madness.

Edited by Najjer

On 1/23/2023 at 11:54 AM, HGould said:

I was a Councillor for 15 years as an Independent. If you are saying Politicians at national and local level don't take inducements or favours to facilitate decisions then you clearly live in a parallel universe. It's endemic now just read the papers but as they used to say more dodgy deals done in the Lodges and 19th hole in the UK than in the Kremlin

It is illegal to have group decisions on planning applications. 

On 1/23/2023 at 11:54 AM, HGould said:

I was a Councillor for 15 years as an Independent. If you are saying Politicians at national and local level don't take inducements or favours to facilitate decisions then you clearly live in a parallel universe. It's endemic now just read the papers but as they used to say more dodgy deals done in the Lodges and 19th hole in the UK than in the Kremlin

You are clearly deluded! Accuse me if you dare of doing such. A council has to have a cabinet and political colours and there’s no such thing as an independent as that lean one way or the other. Planning meetings I’ve been to has no three line whip as it’s illegal. 

On 1/23/2023 at 12:46 PM, HGould said:

Mentioning one Tory is not an anti Tory rant. 

I don't disagree many have their noses in the trough. 

Local Politics should be non party political especially planning and central government should not interfere as much as they do. 

As for Speedway in Somerset, it sadly looks less than likely now.