British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

BHM - Aces/Wolves double header.

Another good day out at the NSS Belle Vue, good racing, viewing and all round one of the best experiences in British Speedway, even managed a quick chat with fellow Cumbrian Dan Bewley.

Also there must have been around 20 Comets fans in attendance in the packed crowd, it just shows that Speedway can be successful in the UK given the right ingredients....

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That’s not the point I was making. The strength of the Poole team as it stands would hold its own in the “top” flight, when in truth there’s really nothing now between the two leagues. I remember the days back in the 70’s when a NL number one struggled to hold down a second string/reserve berth.

There’s no doubt in my mind we are heading for one league, perhaps with a north/south divide.

Which begs the question why isn’t Poole in the Premiership. ?

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That’s not the point I was making. The strength of the Poole team as it stands would hold its own in the “top” flight, when in truth there’s really nothing now between the two leagues. I remember the days back in the 70’s when a NL number one struggled to hold down a second string/reserve berth.

There’s no doubt in my mind we are heading for one league, perhaps with a north/south divide.

How would it be one league with a North South divide?

58 minutes ago, poole keith said:

couldnt afford it

Also the weds night thing, but yeah mainly that.

1 minute ago, tellboy said:

How would it be one league with a North South divide?

Would make sense, more people travelling to away meetings.

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Would make sense, more people travelling to away meetings.

But how is it one league?

1 minute ago, tellboy said:

But how is it one league?

The table is one league table but you don't play everyone in that table just half of them and top 4 meet for playoff SF or top 8 meet for playoff QF.

17 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

The table is one league table but you don't play everyone in that table just half of them and top 4 meet for playoff SF or top 8 meet for playoff QF.

So one league table where everyone don't ride each other,i find that a bit weird tbh.Would this only be in speedway this would happen,if it is it would make perfect sense:D

6 minutes ago, tellboy said:

So one league table where everyone don't ride each other,i find that a bit weird tbh.Would this only be in speedway this would happen,if it is it would make perfect sense:D

The US Conference system doesn't have everyone playing each other..

Maybe Speedway could do something like that?

Eg 4 times v the teams in your North Conference and 2 times v the teams in the South?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

Only way I can work it with a North/South divide whilst still having one league! Or you could have 2 separate tables and top 2 or 4 from both meet for playoffs.

21 hours ago, acef said:

Not the worst meeting for Monmore. It’s a difficult track and isn’t suited to today’s rider. That said I’ve seen worse over the last few years here.

BV have an issue in the middle of this team. Both Worralls have been poor, and today was the worst I’ve seen from Steve for a long, long time. He was nowhere near quick enough at the NSS and for whatever reason that carried onto the return fixture on a completely different track which has previously suited him. There are no reasons sometimes, whenever he puts a BV race jacket on he suddenly becomes an amateur rider. Odd.

Bewley was excellent across the day and only had one blip off gate 3 which clearly wasn’t working. He looked down on power in heat 13, I don’t know if anyone noticed that but it was weird. I almost felt like fatigue was kicking in, he was struggling to hang onto the bike. Maybe just me.

Wolves look very good, but can certainly be beaten. They will pick us in the semi, which will probably be the end of us. If they were to pick someone else I’d actually fancy us to make the final.

Compared to Belle Vue's last visit to Monmore, the racing last night was not of the same standard.  What made last night better was the atmosphere, which was electric - as is always the case when Wolves and Belle Vue meet

23 hours ago, R87 said:

When?  It's been garbage all season and has been for years.  

Haven't been since Peter Karlsson's retirement meeting and not for a league match for at least 10 years. Just because I don't particularly enjoy it, doesn't mean the racing can't be good. The problem these days is that it's pretty much unique in it's size & shape. Most riders visit it once or twice a year so never learn how to ride it.

11 hours ago, wtf said:

You just can't stop yourself can you? :) The one place Batchelor can ride is Monmore. 11+1 and 12+1 this year. I'd be the first to agree if you said he couldn't ride Sheffield.:t:

If you call gating & locking up twice per corner in an attempt to not get passed on 'Karlsson corridor' being able to ride Monmore fair enough, I wouldn't.

10 hours ago, Col said:

Haven't been since Peter Karlsson's retirement meeting and not for a league match for at least 10 years. Just because I don't particularly enjoy it, doesn't mean the racing can't be good. The problem these days is that it's pretty much unique in it's size & shape. Most riders visit it once or twice a year so never learn how to ride it.

If you call gating & locking up twice per corner in an attempt to not get passed on 'Karlsson corridor' being able to ride Monmore fair enough, I wouldn't.

It's a very frustrating track to watch at must admit, it's a shame also that everyone is packed into one straight....

18 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Another good day out at the NSS Belle Vue, good racing, viewing and all round one of the best experiences in British Speedway, even managed a quick chat with fellow Cumbrian Dan Bewley.

Also there must have been around 20 Comets fans in attendance in the packed crowd, it just shows that Speedway can be successful in the UK given the right ingredients....

it was a p1ss poor crowd for a BHM match against the Champions elect

Edited by iainb