British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2022

This I fear is the end. Double speak re finding new home for Panthers is no more than meaningless platitudes. Agree with a previous poster that at the most likely outcome is for the only thing to proceed will be the houses. Money and profit will be the winners as always.

I don't want any team changes now.

I'd rather we all go out together as one. The loyal club legends have earnt the right to depart with us and share one last moment together rather than getting sacked in our final season for new riders who'll just use the club to make some money.

Ostergaard & Andersen in particular have been loyal to this club for years so they should be able to say their goodbye's with us. 

A real shame to read this and not sure how they can help find another location in time for 2023, i read on these posts Peterborough operating at Kings Lynn for a season, I think that would end the club financially, not many will have a 2 hour round trip to follow Peterborough.

Kings Lynn 2023 side will be decent though as they will just cherrypick between the two clubs now so imagine MPT, Lawson, Pickering, Basso, Worral, Kerr being their 6

I've said for many a year unless things change Speedway will die as we know it now, but it will rise from the ashes in some other form

• Like 1

Finding a new home is out of the question.

Many Speedway fans in the country are very old so travelling isn't the easiest thing to do for them which is understandable. Just getting to their local track can be a struggle.

Cost of living will just increase the punters layout on a race day if they did find a new home, Extra travel costs to go on top of a programme / ticket and maybe a hot drink at the stadium.

Unfortunately we're done just like Swindon, Edinburgh & Newcastle and soon to be Poole even though their fans don't want to admit it.

As for the future of British Speedway one big league is out of the question because as I stated earlier 4 and half Premiership teams worth of riders currently double up in the Championship so their isn't enough riders to go around.

Eurosport will pull out of the contract due to a lack of teams and gradually it will die of a slow death. Shame as it's the best sport in the World but the World now revolves around greedy people with money and Speedway in this country doesn't have money to burn unlike Football for example.

This is all aspirational though, AEPG have many hurdles to overcome to get what they want, which will be as many houses as possible and locals know only to well how slow the planning process is in Peterborough. Even with 1600 houses which will result in 4500 to 5000 people and probably 3000 cars, good luck with finding placements with schools, doctors and dentists, and for sure the roads surrounding the area will not support that increase in traffic, it barely supports it now when major events are held in the Arena alone.

I have spoken with the local Green councillor on several occasions, she is extremely supportive of Peterborough Speedway and I opened up communication channels with her and the promotion a while back. The last time I spoke with her she was adamant that the Speedway club be rightly looked after properly and 50 years of heritage be preserved and continued. Whether that happens or not obviously depends on many things. It’s all a bit of a game right now in my opinion, but suffice to say I doubt very much that the plans released yesterday will have very little resemblance to the finished project.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TTT said:

Finding a new home is out of the question.

Many Speedway fans in the country are very old so travelling isn't the easiest thing to do for them which is understandable. Just getting to their local track can be a struggle.

Cost of living will just increase the punters layout on a race day if they did find a new home, Extra travel costs to go on top of a programme / ticket and maybe a hot drink at the stadium.

Unfortunately we're done just like Swindon, Edinburgh & Newcastle and soon to be Poole even though their fans don't want to admit it.

As for the future of British Speedway one big league is out of the question because as I stated earlier 4 and half Premiership teams worth of riders currently double up in the Championship so their isn't enough riders to go around.

Eurosport will pull out of the contract due to a lack of teams and gradually it will die of a slow death. Shame as it's the best sport in the World but the World now revolves around greedy people with money and Speedway in this country doesn't have money to burn unlike Football for example.

Oh I am under no illusions it's going to get very dodgy soon! If we come to the tapes in 2024 I will be very happy! 

We are witnessing the slow death of UK speedway, unfortunately things will only get worse...:neutral:

1 hour ago, JamesHarris said:

Would the Greyhound stadium be an option?

Not with that asking price

42 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Not with that asking price

And all those houses nearby ,trying to get past noise testing would not be fun.

Edited by Dub

2 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

Would the Greyhound stadium be an option?

It has always been an option and came very close not so long ago, but with more housing close by these days, it would be difficult I would suggest. The stadium was recently sold to the Mick George Group incidentally, the main sponsors of Peterborough United.

7 hours ago, wealdstone said:

This I fear is the end. Double speak re finding new home for Panthers is no more than meaningless platitudes. Agree with a previous poster that at the most likely outcome is for the only thing to proceed will be the houses. Money and profit will be the winners as always.

Sadly so very true these days.  Not exactly a cheering few lines of verse - typical of the 1600's ( allegedly ), but content bears an uncanny resemblance in mirroring the continued loss of UK Speedway Tracks in favour of more housing developments.

Summer Of Discontent.odt

On 6/20/2022 at 7:23 PM, Noodles said:

Tonight's programme suggests no team changes.  Is this all in Baldy's head? 

Not in my headB)

• Haha 1