British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

1 minute ago, GS550 said:

A fair summary.  Let the best team win?  As far as I'm concerned, the best team already won - the league that is.  I don't believe in the playoff system, the league shows that Poole won the league and are league champions, Glasgow runners-up.

I agree, not a fan of the play offs however they are here and we need to abide by it, in saying that I would be delighted if Glasgow won, however we are so inconsistant, at least it is the top 2 teams in the final

• Like 1

Is Marcin Nowak  going to be available for both meetings?

Just announced

GRAND FINAL DATES CONFIRMED | POOLE v GLASGOW

1st Leg | Tuesday 26th October 7:30pm | Ashfield Stadium

2nd Leg | Friday 29th October 7:30pm | Poole Stadium

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Might have come up for the Glasgow leg but hotel prices have gone through the roof (COP26) and the weather is looking very dodgy to say the least.

Drive there and back same day 

Based on current forecast I see no speedway at ashfield this Tuesday. Then again don't see any this week at all. 

Gives a little wriggle room if there’s a rainoff. Downside is Poole will have to travel from Glasgow to Poole Tuesday night, get some sleep, then race on Wednesday evening. Riders could well be knackered. 

The 2 main finals, crammed in at the arse end of the season like this is rubbish, and will affect attendances.

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Gives a little wriggle room if there’s a rainoff. Downside is Poole will have to travel from Glasgow to Poole Tuesday night, get some sleep, then race on Wednesday evening. Riders could well be knackered. 

The 2 main finals, crammed in at the arse end of the season like this is rubbish, and will affect attendances.

Get with the program. Happened in championship for years. Complaints fall on deaf ears at the powers that be so get used to it

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

IMO should only be the Wednesday night tie as its the ko cup final, the other one as far as I'm concerned is a non-event as Poole won the league and are league champions, Glasgow runners-up, as I don't believe in the playoffs system.

If they insist on still having playoffs next season then they should reduce the number, as others have said its nonsense that whoever finishes mid-table in 6th can potentially still be champions.  They want to make their minds up is it a league tournament or a knockout cup tournament.  The other thing of course being to schedule the season so that thy make use of the summer months fully and not have a summer break in league fixtures, and finish everything earlier so we don't have the most important matches crammed into the coldest and wettest couple of weeks at the tail end.  Although that's maybe too sensible for our glorious sport.

• Like 1

I do believe in the playoffs. Poole are not Champs until we win the final. But top 4 teams only, not 6. Much time has been wasted with the quarter finals. Unnessasary. These playoffs could and should have been already finished.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

I agree, not a fan of the play offs however they are here and we need to abide by it, in saying that I would be delighted if Glasgow won, however we are so inconsistant, at least it is the top 2 teams in the final

Yes and hopefully get to see Marcin at Poole! As much as I like Edinburgh, it would have been hard to take to lose to a 4th placed team!

We'll need to win by 16+ at Ashfield to have a chance down at Poole I reckon.

11 minutes ago, Cerro said:

We'll need to win by 16+ at Ashfield to have a chance down at Poole I reckon.

Really? You only lost by 6 last time and have a better team now. Anders Rowe was really good at Poole when guesting for us. So I'd say 12 might be enough. 

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Really? You only lost by 6 last time and have a better team now. Anders Rowe was really good at Poole when guesting for us. So I'd say 12 might be enough. 

This is Glasgow not Edinburgh :rofl:

• Haha 1