British Speedway Forum
M.D

Eastbourne Speedway

On 2/2/2023 at 12:35 PM, woofers said:

I really, really miss my Saturday nights at Arlington, but unfortunately I fear that speedway is not going to re-appear in the southeast of England. Look at a map of where speedway clubs are located and there is really only Poole in the south.

I live in the Crawley area , Poole is too far for a regular fix of speedway adrenaline. Where else is there to go? In the past I would travel to Reading, Swindon, Rye House, Lakeside, Sittingbourne (Kent). With the demise of these clubs, the fact that attendances did not increase at their 'rivals' shows either a tribal mentality where supporters cannot switch allegiance to keep the sport alive, or they just can't be bothered at all. 

My motto has always been "any speedway is better than no speedway", hence my support in the National League days, but I understand that level has been diluted now.

I rarely look at the speedway press / website now, and too be honest some of the televised racing last year was dire, anything from the NSS being the stand out exception.

I shan't be travelling to Cardiff, the experience I've done many times and enjoy but the racing was dire last year.

I try not to be a 'doom' merchant but it's difficult to see an upside at the moment, but if there can be a speedway meeting at Arlington, whatever level, I'll be there.

Please don’t ever consider visiting Glasgow………lol

• Haha 3

Can’t wait for Eastbourne to return. Some of the best speedway days out was a Good Friday. Poole at 11 am played out in front of a packed Wimborne Road, before heading east to Eastbourne in the evening for part two. Really brilliant days. Some titanic battles and top notch action. And some excellent budgie bashing with old man Dugard doing his best to doctor the track in favour of the budgies. :rofl:

Hopefully just a season away.

• Like 1

I wonder what with the news in this weeks speedway star about the new Nora League starting this year whether the prospective Eastbourne promotion and the stadium owners might be interested in an Eastbourne Eagles team running in that League when it gets going in the summer?

- The rent would be handy, the novelty of a few speedway meetings in the summer after being closed since  the middle of 2021 would surely entice healthy crowds and would be a great way to learn the ropes before a full time return in 2024!

Edited by 25yearfan

Seems like a big ask for the Eagles. In truth there is not that much time to be ready for 2024. It seems these days that promoters make all the big decisions in August and that the AGM just rubber stamps things in November. On that basis the consortium have seven months. One can only wish them the best of luck and that someone will come along with enough money to make the project viable. The money needed seems to be beyond the scope of that which can be raised by fans. Of course, getting speedway going in 2024 is only half the battle. The fight then will be to get a constant level of support and to be able to run profitably, at least sufficient to ensure they can go to tapes in the following season. That would be a realistic prospect in the NDL but that's off the table. I can but guess but I suspect it is a long time since the Eagles made a profit when running in the top two divisions. Bob always said speedway was his hobby and that's why he filled the gap between revenue and costs. And we know what happened with the last effort in the second tier. Good luck Eagles consortium.

That’s it then.All over for speedway at Arlington, according to consortium hoping to revive Eagles. Stadium not available for speedway. Hunt begins for new venue. As I’ve said before, look at banger track near Gatwick off A23. Statement on Facebook 

They ought to hang that yard dog Jordan from the highest beam they can .  All those years ruined due to a ponce like him .

I thought the owners were putting unnecessary barriers in place, i.e No NL racing. I expect housing development soon.

25 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

That’s it then.All over for speedway at Arlington, according to consortium hoping to revive Eagles. Stadium not available for speedway. Hunt begins for new venue. As I’ve said before, look at banger track near Gatwick off A23. Statement on Facebook 

If the stadium is still owned by the Dugard family - last I heard it was Eric - I am very surprised that they won't allow speedway at Arlington. The Dugards have always been extremely supportive of the sport and it will be interesting to see what they have to say about the situation. 

4 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

If the stadium is still owned by the Dugard family - last I heard it was Eric - I am very surprised that they won't allow speedway at Arlington. The Dugards have always been extremely supportive of the sport and it will be interesting to see what they have to say about the situation. 

Still owned by Dugards. Eric not as keen as Bob was and I had that from Bob himself 

7 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

Still owned by Dugards. Eric not as keen as Bob was and I had that from Bob himself 

I certainly got told by a very good source close to the family that following Bob's death Eric was very supportive, to the extent that the speedway promotion were not charged rent for holding meetings, only expenses. It might be that experiences with Jordan changed all that, although it would be harsh to tar every potential promotion with the same brush as a con man like him. 

I would like to hear what Eric has to say about the statement that they will not allow speedway given that the Dugard family have been involved with the sport at Eastbourne for decades. 

For those not on Facebook..

NO SPEEDWAY IN SUSSEX FOR 2024
The Save Eastbourne Speedway consortium has been forced to admit defeat in their bid to bring racing back to the Arlington Stadium but hopes to return the sport to Sussex remain.
Speedway at the venue dates back to 1928, but owners have now made a final decision that the Stadium will be unavailable in 2024 and beyond. Since the Eagles last came to the tapes in 2021, the Save Eastbourne Speedway project is now forced to turn attentions to finding a new venue within the county.
Save Eastbourne Speedway’s Steve Chantler commented: “It goes without saying that we are devastated to have been informed that the stadium will no longer be available to Speedway. We have been working hard behind the scenes to secure media coverage for the sport, the necessary equipment to stage racing plus the right staff and investors to see the project through. We are determined to prove that the sport can be successful in Sussex, but now that the Arlington Stadium is closed to us it is back to the drawing board and the search for a new venue begins.”

• Sad 3

37 minutes ago, M.D said:

For those not on Facebook..

Thanks to you and all involved for trying, I know you know the family but does seem from the outside that all the noise about not wanting NL etc was just a stalling tactic. Wouldn't have been any speedway at Arlington for decades without the Dugards so shouldn't complain now really I suppose. 

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I certainly got told by a very good source close to the family that following Bob's death Eric was very supportive, to the extent that the speedway promotion were not charged rent for holding meetings, only expenses. It might be that experiences with Jordan changed all that, although it would be harsh to tar every potential promotion with the same brush as a con man like him. 

I would like to hear what Eric has to say about the statement that they will not allow speedway given that the Dugard family have been involved with the sport at Eastbourne for decades. 

Maybe just fallen out of love with it like a lot of others perhaps , especially in today's climate, economically and everything else really. 

• Like 1

And yet, bangers and stock cars are running at Arlington. It's a shame a few open meetings can't be staged, to 'test the water' if interest is still there to run speedway? Or it be used as a nursery/training track, especially with the Dugard's experience? 

26 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

And yet, bangers and stock cars are running at Arlington. It's a shame a few open meetings can't be staged, to 'test the water' if interest is still there to run speedway? Or it be used as a nursery/training track, especially with the Dugard's experience? 

Bangers and stocks are still pulling in pretty good crowds, and imagine Spedeworth have a contract for x amount of years at a time. A lot of the speedway stuff, tractors etc went after the Jordon ruination of the club, so think its full time or nothing really, I genuinely think they may have lost the will for speedway but hopefully they'll be a further statement of why, but imagine probably not.

• Like 1