British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

2 minutes ago, GWC said:

Sky money paid for the likes of Rickardsson Crump Adams Pedersen and they were top draw.

Those that have come after them haven’t been the same and now the money has gone we are left to discover our own riders.

UK is contracting and will continue as the sport loses its appeal. The idea that we will be able to attract GP riders (Doyle excepted) with no money is very unlikely.

Sweden isn't much better off than Britain. So where else they gonna ride if all the Swedish clubs fold? Unless Poland starts allowing doubling up more and there's basically 2 ekstraliga leagues

Could another issue be that the cost of entry to the sport is now so prohibitive that you really need rich relatives to help fund all the equipment needed to get you started. Lots watch a sport and some may think I will give that a go but the old traditional route in via grass track seems to have long gone and not many teams have local lads racing for them who have come good and the local punter can relate to them.

You do not need a fortune to buy cricket gear etc.

Today speedway teams are in name only as you have seven individuals racing to try and make a living. The individual riders championships are being bemoaned by many because ‘my team’s rider’ is not in it. Stick the top 16 or 20 riders with the top averages in and if one team have four or five riders so be it  as in reality they are only wearing a race jacket of the paymaster And at simply self employed individuals plying their trade at any track that will have them. Not a criticism but an observation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Could another issue be that the cost of entry to the sport is now so prohibitive that you really need rich relatives to help fund all the equipment needed to get you started.

It isn't actually. All motor sport is expensive, but speedway is about as cheap as anything, except possibly banger racing.

• Like 1

I think the issue Speedway has to address fundamentally is PAY

Payment made to Riders which is now too high for most Clubs to sustain but which draws riders to those Clubs who can sustain it - doubling up being the elephant in the room

The other pay issue is that in many comparable motorcycle sports the VAST majority PAY to race for minimal prize money....is that the place Speedway now has to position itself, some kind of formula that ring-fences Pay as a proportion of Gate money?

With regards to Banger / Stocks - they pay to race and therefore some venues that shares Stocks and Speedway can have 100 drivers paying to race and 3-4 times the crowds at similar entrance fees watching.

20 hours ago, GWC said:

I’m thinking Glasgow Leicester and (if they run - Poole) will be faced with a lower standard or Premier elevation next season.

They are the clubs that appear to want the Championship at an unsustainable level.

Don’t know how you think that is the case.The whole League structure needs a rethink.It won’t happen though and it is not the Championship Clubs that are the problem IMO.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GWC said:

I’m thinking Glasgow Leicester and (if they run - Poole) will be faced with a lower standard or Premier elevation next season.

They are the clubs that appear to want the Championship at an unsustainable level.

Why would Poole not run in 2023. They already have agreement in place for 2023.

Any plans the Council may or may not have will not be decided until at least Winter 2024 at the very earliest - and that was the case even before the successful visit to Wednesday's meeting at which they were all very impressed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

Why would Poole not run in 2023. They already have agreement in place for 2023.

Any plans the Council may or may not have will not be decided until at least Winter 2024 at the very earliest - and that was the case even before the successful visit to Wednesday's meeting at which they were all very impressed.

Doesn't help that some people (person) is trying to panic everyone (Poole fans) on twitter by saying nothing guaranteed for next season! 

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Doesn't help that some people (person) is trying to panic everyone (Poole fans) on twitter by saying nothing guaranteed for next season! 

I don't do twitter that often, so haven't seen that!

19 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I don't do twitter that often, so haven't seen that!

It was a bit of a throwaway comment by Piratecast but did panic some people. I don't if their intention was to panic people into action (not getting complacant) about the situation. But if you know this information about the rent, I assume they do too. ;) I just think they went over the top with it, but I guess they don't want people to think everything is okay and then end up in Swindon's shoes. I think I would have panicked if I hadn't already read your posts about agreement for 2023!

18 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Sweden isn't much better off than Britain. So where else they gonna ride if all the Swedish clubs fold? Unless Poland starts allowing doubling up more and there's basically 2 ekstraliga leagues

I doubt ALL the Swedish clubs will fold but as in the U.K. their costs will determine their employment.

2 hours ago, HGould said:

I

With regards to Banger / Stocks - they pay to race and therefore some venues that shares Stocks and Speedway can have 100 drivers paying to race and 3-4 times the crowds at similar entrance fees watching.

I can tell you for a fact that stocks/bangers are starting to struggle big time at Arlington Eastbourne, so its not just speedway thats getting hit at the moment..

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, M.D said:

I can tell you for a fact that stocks/bangers are starting to struggle big time at Arlington Eastbourne, so its not just speedway thats getting hit at the moment..

Thats reflective probably that cost of living crisis is hitting and will get worse b4 it gets better unfortunately. 

People will pick and choose and may be do something once a month that they used to do weekly or fortnightly 

Tough times 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M.D said:

That's not good news, if the stock cars struggle,  going to be hard for speedway there again. I know the Dugards are speedway/motorsport through and through, just hope it doesn't get to a point where the only viable option is planning/houses.:(

Edited by gazzac

On 8/18/2022 at 10:08 PM, Fromafar said:

...Poole ... are one of the few Clubs that crowd level are decent...

Must be really hard doing so well in a town / city where they have to compete with Poole City FC, Poole Villa FC, Poole Bromwich Albion FC, and Dorset County Cricket Club (+ T20 and "Hundred" offshoots) on a regular basis. Not to mention Poole Harriers Athletics Club, Old Pooleans RFC, Poole Bullets Basketball Club, Poole Priory Tennis Club etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, gazzac said:

That's not good news, if the stock cars struggle,  going to be hard for speedway there again. I know the Dugards are speedway/motorsport through and through, just hope it doesn't get to a point where the only viable option is planning/houses.:(

Indeed and that info came from both Eric and Paul.