British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
enotian

Most League Title Medals

On 2/20/2022 at 8:42 PM, enotian said:

Some great names in there but some big omissions also.  No titles for Hamill, Nicki Pedersen, Kenny Carter, Jessup, Ray Wilson??

The man with the most Silver medals is Chris Morton and the most Wooden Spoons is Scott Nicholls.  Six a piece.

I was with Rob Lyon last night. No, I'm not name dropping, he was one of the guest speakers at the Nuneaton Speedway Supporters Club meeting (along with Dale Allitt).

I showed Rob your analysis and it sparked quite a lengthy discussion. I did point out that if Peterborough win the league again this year, Bomber will hold the record for the number of league titles, at 6, on his own. I did caution Rob though, that he had the rider with the most wooden spoons in his team. That particular stat set us thinking as to which teams and in which years Scott achieved that unenviable stat. Can you enlighten us all with the details of those 6 wooden spoons please?

32 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I was with Rob Lyon last night. No, I'm not name dropping, he was one of the guest speakers at the Nuneaton Speedway Supporters Club meeting (along with Dale Allitt).

I showed Rob your analysis and it sparked quite a lengthy discussion. I did point out that if Peterborough win the league again this year, Bomber will hold the record for the number of league titles, at 6, on his own. I did caution Rob though, that he had the rider with the most wooden spoons in his team. That particular stat set us thinking as to which teams and in which years Scott achieved that unenviable stat. Can you enlighten us all with the details of those 6 wooden spoons please?

Nicholls @ Leicester 2018

27 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Sure. Scott's first wooden spoon was 10 years into his career, finishing bottom with Ipswich in 2003. Seven years later in 2010 another Ipswich last place doubled his collection to two. A move to Swindon the following season (2011) didn't help and a third wooden spoon was added. A return to Coventry didn't work out in 2013 as they finished last. Then following the withdraw of Rye House a short (11 matches) spell with Leicester in 2018 added a fifth wooden spoon to the collection. Finally, Peterborough's last place in 2019 resulted in a sixth wooden spoon to his collection.

Nearest contender to steal the unwanted record is Danny King.  He's on four last places along with a host of others no longer active in the UK or retired.  

A funny thought occurred after talking to Rob Lyon recently (see above). If the Panthers were Dad's Army last year, what do we call them this year now they're a year older?
Well a cursory look into the history of teams that have won the "top league", back beyond the formation of the British League in '65, has revealed that the team that won the southern league in 1929 was the Stamford Bridge Pensioners.

So there we have it. "The Peterborough Pensioners"

• Haha 1

As an aside Bomber appeared as a Guest in 2 finals against Swindon, on the losing side both times, for Poole and Wolves.

On 3/10/2022 at 11:04 PM, False dawn said:

A funny thought occurred after talking to Rob Lyon recently (see above). If the Panthers were Dad's Army last year, what do we call them this year now they're a year older?
Well a cursory look into the history of teams that have won the "top league", back beyond the formation of the British League in '65, has revealed that the team that won the southern league in 1929 was the Stamford Bridge Pensioners.

So there we have it. "The Peterborough Pensioners"

To be pedantic (sorry) I believe the word Pensioners never appeared in a Stamford Bridge prog, they called themselves the "Bridge" a team photo in one of their progs is headed "The Bridge Boys" not pensioners. The pensioner name  was attributed by post war journalists who associated the name with Chelsea  but they were Stamford Bridge not Chelsea.

2 hours ago, Historian said:

To be pedantic (sorry) I believe the word Pensioners never appeared in a Stamford Bridge prog, they called themselves the "Bridge" a team photo in one of their progs is headed "The Bridge Boys" not pensioners. The pensioner name  was attributed by post war journalists who associated the name with Chelsea  but they were Stamford Bridge not Chelsea.

Thank you for the correction. That's what you get for trusting Wikipedia eh?

But despite the erroneous logic, I still think "The Peterborough Pensioners" has a certain ring to it :P

• Like 1

19 hours ago, False dawn said:

Thank you for the correction. That's what you get for trusting Wikipedia eh?

But despite the erroneous logic, I still think "The Peterborough Pensioners" has a certain ring to it :P

Not only Wiki. Homes of British Speedway and the wonderful Speedway in London refer to them as 'The Pensioners', as well as 'The Brigands'

14 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Not only Wiki. Homes of British Speedway and the wonderful Speedway in London refer to them as 'The Pensioners', as well as 'The Brigands'

Sorry to go off topic, If you repeat a myth often enough it becomes fact, The Brigands name is a bit of Hoskins bull, To beef up an article  in a London newspaper he refered to them as the Brigands sounds better than "The Bridge. this is the only ref to that name I have found.

Edited by Historian

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

I had a word with the author of Speedway in London as I know him quite well and he said he thinks Historian is correct and apologises for the error, but, as Historian says, these sort of myths once ingrained keep getting repeated. I think you will also find that Speedway in London says that speedway started in West Maitland in 1923 and, as we all know now, that is a complete myth and completely untrue. He says he was very young and naive when he wrote Speedway in London…….

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, norbold said:

I had a word with the author of Speedway in London as I know him quite well and he said he thinks Historian is correct and apologises for the error, but, as Historian says, these sort of myths once ingrained keep getting repeated. I think you will also find that Speedway in London says that speedway started in West Maitland in 1923 and, as we all know now, that is a complete myth and completely untrue. He says he was very young and naive when he wrote Speedway in London…….

Whereas now, he is much older and a bit wiser, eh? :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, False dawn said:

Whereas now, he is much older and a bit wiser, eh? :rolleyes:

So he says, but I don't believe him....

• Haha 4

On 4/5/2022 at 1:27 PM, Historian said:

Sorry to go off topic, If you repeat a myth often enough it becomes fact, The Brigands name is a bit of Hoskins bull, To beef up an article  in a London newspaper he refered to them as the Brigands sounds better than "The Bridge. this is the only ref to that name I have found.

Speaking of nicknames  re football , does anybody know when Chelsea F.C. stopped being nicknamed the "Pensioners" and became "The Lions", while we are at it when did  WBA cease to be  "The Throstles" and become "The Baggies" and Palace cease to be  "the Glaziers" and become the 'Eagles". Anyone remember??? Sorry, this even more off topic.

15 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Speaking of nicknames  re football , does anybody know when Chelsea F.C. stopped being nicknamed the "Pensioners" and became "The Lions", while we are at it when did  WBA cease to be  "The Throstles" and become "The Baggies" and Palace cease to be  "the Glaziers" and become the 'Eagles". Anyone remember??? Sorry, this even more off topic.

Millwall are The Lions. Don't think Chelsea ever have been, and aren't unique in having a lion as emblem, but not nickname. Aston Villa another

But google can answer simple questions like this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_F.C.

Edited by iris123

15 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Well, I believe that "The Throstles" may still be West Brom's "official" nickname. They adopted the name when they moved to The Hawthorns in 1900. However, "The Baggies" also dates back to around the same period, and was used as an unofficial nickname. It was around the 1980's that "The Baggies" seemed to become the most used, possibly because it sounded cooler!

Palace changed their nickname thanks to Malcolm Allison when he was manager. He changed their colours, and also the club crest. Instead of showing the original Crystal Palace, he used an Eagle holding a ball (based on the Benfica crest).