British Speedway Forum
iainb

Leicester vs Birmingham 26/03/2022 KoC 1st Round 1st Leg

Still cannot understand why the intro is so poor. Why not get riders at the start introduce them interview them with a couple of practise laps.. been going for years but unless I need my eyes testing the lighting is so poor now days. Also what is going on with the purchasing of tickets why is the bottom bar in car park no longer open to have a quick beer and purchase your tickets. Any way moan over here to a safe and successful season up the lions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kitten2502 said:

Oh, I'm sure Vissing rode last night..........

And thank goodness he did...

#betterthanthebritishchampion....:D

5 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I'm sorry but even if Adam was there, Leicester would have still been far too strong for Birmingham to stand a chance in the second leg, Adam missing made little difference. Being 20 or so points down after the first leg is basically a death sentence, has a deficit like that ever been overcome?

Leicester are one of, if not THE strongest team in the league and I don't see Birmingham making the playoffs, so the gulf in quality effected the result, not the fact Adam was missing, who admittedly is probably Birmingham's best rider.

Didn't the Diamonds do it to Sheffield after a typically rubbish Owlerton display? I recall because I didn't bother going to the 2nd leg but my dad who would pay to watch paint dry did and was smug for weeks.  But it's basically two rubbish matches isn't it, two massive home wins.  Don't ask the year as they all merge into one at my age.

6 hours ago, Normski said:

Berwick do the same a few practice laps ,starts etc after the parade

A few laps just before tapes up hardly gives riders time to make adjustments though. I'm thinking more of a structured pre match practice. Say two riders at a time for a 5 minute practice so 35 mins of practice in total before the line up presentation. If the riders want to do it. Maybe do interviews with those who do after their practice. F1 and Moto GP make 3 days out of exactly that. 2 if you consider qualifying as an event. The riders wouldn't get paid to practice so no extra cost to add an extra 35 mins of 'entertainment' for those who want to see it. If you don't just turn up for the tapes up time. Personally I'd just turn up for the start of the match but if the knock on effect is that both sets of riders are more well prepared for the real action then the match is likely to be more entertaining.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, enotian said:

Didn't the Diamonds do it to Sheffield after a typically rubbish Owlerton display? I recall because I didn't bother going to the 2nd leg but my dad who would pay to watch paint dry did and was smug for weeks.  But it's basically two rubbish matches isn't it, two massive home wins.  Don't ask the year as they all merge into one at my age.

A few laps just before tapes up hardly gives riders time to make adjustments though. I'm thinking more of a structured pre match practice. Say two riders at a time for a 5 minute practice so 35 mins of practice in total before the line up presentation. If the riders want to do it. Maybe do interviews with those who do after their practice. F1 and Moto GP make 3 days out of exactly that. 2 if you consider qualifying as an event. The riders wouldn't get paid to practice so no extra cost to add an extra 35 mins of 'entertainment' for those who want to see it. If you don't just turn up for the tapes up time. Personally I'd just turn up for the start of the match but if the knock on effect is that both sets of riders are more well prepared for the real action then the match is likely to be more entertaining.

I do vaguely remember the Diamonds overturning a pretty big deficit against Sheffield, a few years back. But it wasn't 20+, I'd be very surprised if it was.

And in Poland they send a couple riders out from each team for 5 minutes or so, to get a bit practice in and presumably relay back to the rest of the team what the track surface is like. Will never happen in uk though

26 minutes ago, enotian said:

Actually dont think its a bad start of an idea this just two things worry me 

1. Riders practice, Tractors come out change the track completely 

2. As happened at SON Day 1, Riders practiced, pushed all the dirt out creating 1 line early on which didnt make for a great meeting until that line became so wide it opened up other parts of the track 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phillipsr said:

Actually dont think its a bad start of an idea this just two things worry me 

1. Riders practice, Tractors come out change the track completely 

2. As happened at SON Day 1, Riders practiced, pushed all the dirt out creating 1 line early on which didnt make for a great meeting until that line became so wide it opened up other parts of the track 

Valid. And to be honest I'd expect some regrading after the practice to bring some of the top surface back during the team presentation so a limited time to change the track massively. I'm guessing that two riders at a time is less disruptive to the track than a free for all would be.  Would need a more learned track curator to comment on what is possible.

Of course if the weather means track prep will take longer the practice would be cancelled.

Worth investigating if it would improve the product.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enotian said:

1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

I do vaguely remember the Diamonds overturning a pretty big deficit against Sheffield, a few years back. But it wasn't 20+, I'd be very surprised if it was.

And in Poland they send a couple riders out from each team for 5 minutes or so, to get a bit practice in and presumably relay back to the rest of the team what the track surface is like. Will never happen in uk though

2012 1st Leg Sheff 58 Diamonds 32. 2nd Leg Diamonds 62 Sheff 28.  Diamonds won 94-86 on agg.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StevePark said:

2012 1st Leg Sheff 58 Diamonds 32. 2nd Leg Diamonds 62 Sheff 28.  Diamonds won 94-86 on agg.

Fair play. I knew it was a big margin and knew exactly which tie was being referred to. However I didn't realise it was such a big margin that was overcome, good times. We haven't had a season like 2010-2013 for a very long time... I miss watch us with big hitters at number 1 and decent reserves etc

Can anyone comment on how auty and vissing looked?

Was auty on the pace? I know hes not quickest off the gate and a slick track might have had his number

Auty looked extremely rusty, was 5-1’d in all his races and passed by Joe Thompson.

Vissing was OK but no match for the 3 Leicester heat leaders on the night.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I'm sorry but even if Adam was there, Leicester would have still been far too strong for Birmingham to stand a chance in the second leg, Adam missing made little difference. Being 20 or so points down after the first leg is basically a death sentence, has a deficit like that ever been overcome?

Leicester are one of, if not THE strongest team in the league and I don't see Birmingham making the playoffs, so the gulf in quality effected the result, not the fact Adam was missing, who admittedly is probably Birmingham's best rider.

I'm not saying Ellis riding would have made any difference to the result on the night, merely suggesting it may have made the second leg more interesting.

21 hours ago, arnieg said:

15 surely?

Are tactical substitutes not allowed in cup competitions?

22 hours ago, iainb said:

I probably would have gone to the 2nd leg... so both Leicester and Birmingham have missed my money because of last night. 

EXACTLY!

2 minutes ago, Col said:

Are tactical substitutes not allowed in cup competitions?

No. Rule is  against tactical substitutes in two legged competitions.(12.4.4)

I see, fair enough.

12 hours ago, ljriley90 said:

Can anyone comment on how auty and vissing looked?

Was auty on the pace? I know hes not quickest off the gate and a slick track might have had his number

Any who wonder why Auty never made it to the top of the Sport despite at least being the likes of Woffinden's equal at a young age, this sentence is the reason

2 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Any who wonder why Auty never made it to the top of the Sport despite at least being the likes of Woffinden's equal at a young age, this sentence is the reason

According to the P&P piece on Central News on Friday, Auty's bike can accelerate quicker than an F1 car.

He didn't say which one or what year it was though. 

• Haha 3