British Speedway Forum

23 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I still wouldn't if I were you

If I'm not going to see a decent race when the heats involve the likes of Doyle, Musielak & Harris   I'll never. @ least I can support Belle Vue and any team facing the Witches.

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

The Premiership Pairs which had the potential to be a good competition was heralded as "Giving fans what they want" via more variety...

It is a good idea.  When else can a fan see Doyle v Harris at Monmore or Fricke v Ellis at EoESg or King v Becker at Owlerton.

Great idea, poorly executed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

They've built their league into what it is now whereas we've done the opposite and run ours down. Maybe they do have less restrictions but there is so, so much more that could be done with British speedway. Just need to find the right person or people to rip it up and start again.

Right person with a shed full of money? Hmmmmmm

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

Maybe one day the UK also could have a clear strategy for growth? 

Something like a 5 year plan you mean? Now there's an idea :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Something like a 5 year plan you mean? Now there's an idea :D

I was going to suggest that....:D

On 10/18/2022 at 11:28 PM, Col said:

I have been looking for an excuse to go to Leicester for a few years, this gives me that.

And so long as the weather doesn't interfere, you'll see some good racing from many of the riders involved - Great to see Doyley back at BP!

5 hours ago, Trees said:

Right person with a shed full of money? Hmmmmmm

Not necessarily that, just the ability to organise fixtures properly, overhaul the way the league is run and marketed, write a clear rulebook. Pretty basic stuff that the current incumbents struggle with. 

• Like 2

Early days but the weather forecast for Leicester on Tuesday and Manchester on Thursday is very wet.

1 hour ago, Col said:

Early days but the weather forecast for Leicester on Tuesday and Manchester on Thursday is very wet.

Well climate change really has so much to answer for doesnt it? 

I remember when I was growing up, loads of hot dry days and lovely evenings in October with the barometer often reaching the mid thirties.. 

Off I went to Hyde Rd each Saturday in shorts, T shirts and flip flops, looking forward to a "Senor Whippy" ice cream... (Yum Yum)...

With a Flake obviously...

Sometimes I had a tub instead, but they cost a bit more...

Raspberry sauce too, goes without saying...

Nowadays, incredibly, the back end of October has almost become like "the start of winter" hasnt it?

Cold, dark, damp nights with the threat of a huge downpour seemingly always imminent, and the temperature often getting into single figures...

"All of a sudden", that appears to be the norm doesnt it?

When did THAT happen? :rolleyes: :angry:

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

When did THAT happen:rolleyes: :angry:

Is it when Speedway introduced Play-Off''s?  :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lefty said:

When did THAT happen:rolleyes: :angry:

Is it when Speedway introduced Play-Off''s?  :D

That will be it!!!

Nail on the head...

Run them in December then and stretch our glorious weather through to November...:D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Col said:

Not on the met office app it's not, forecast is for possible light showers on Monday and Tuesday

On 10/19/2022 at 10:04 PM, mikebv said:

Poland's biggest advantage is the fact they have seen how the UK has ran things from their own "halcyon days"...

And therefore 1 million percent avoid doing the same..

Hence, for example,  they ensure every team has to have a strong Polish presence...

They may be training up the riders from other countries via the U23 league to ensure they have enough quality riders to maintain those high standards, but they haven't taken their eye off the ball to allow the national team to fall behind, because they know how important  national success is to selling the domestic product... 

We decided in the late 70's and early 80's to spend the best part of the next four decades training up 'the world', with very much quantity rather than quality often being the key determinant of who came over...

Unfortunately to the detriment of the UK riders, and it's media coverage, as the national team became also rans...

Poland has lots of advantages because they seem to know what they are doing, and where they want to take their sport...

Maybe one day the UK also could have a clear strategy for growth? 

Is part of Poland's strategy for growth a 20% reduction in attendances this season? 

50 minutes ago, iainb said:

Not on the met office app it's not, forecast is for possible light showers on Monday and Tuesday

Given Leicester is in such a state that 7 hours on a dry bright and warm Saturday wasn't enough to relay and prepare for a Grand Final then light showers for 2 days should be enough to see this off......

It’s been hosing it down in Leicester again during the night and this morning.

9 minutes ago, Elmo said:

It’s been hosing it down in Leicester again during the night and this morning.

Half the blinking roads are flooded around here, hope it's not that bad in the East Midlands.