British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

Edinburgh - new home required….

51 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

You would have thought Ingleston would have been keen to have the speedway after they lost the car racing.

was told it was down to them wanting too much money

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gazc said:

And rightly so If there is any Promotion that can pull a rabbit out the hat it is the Edinburgh Promotion.

I would be astonished if they haven’t even explored the option of using Ashfield If everything else has been exhausted at least it buy’s them some leeway on timescale.

Discussed this on Friday and I think one thing that would make this tricky is the Friday night thing. We’d have to find another afternoon/evening which might prevent a move back to Fridays when a permanent home is hopefully found. 

49 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Discussed this on Friday and I think one thing that would make this tricky is the Friday night thing. We’d have to find another afternoon/evening which might prevent a move back to Fridays when a permanent home is hopefully found. 

That's going to be an issue now anyway. Look like missing 23 which makes I believe Scunthorpe then Glasgow the Friday priority tracks. If Oxford then say they want to try Fridays next season then when (hopefully) Edinburgh come back then Friday may not be an option.

Feels a bit like Glasgow in 97, we had to go with Sundays as lost Friday's when missed the 96 season. And as my old man's forever telling me Friday was our night they stole it :rofl:

1 hour ago, JanAndersen said:

I would have thought the continuity would have been priority and worry about the Friday night issue when the time comes.

The other thing that might be a consideration is that we may move up which has been rumoured which means we would have to change to a Monday and/or Thursday although this has been rumoured before.

Edited by Gazc

23 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

That's going to be an issue now anyway. Look like missing 23 which makes I believe Scunthorpe then Glasgow the Friday priority tracks. If Oxford then say they want to try Fridays next season then when (hopefully) Edinburgh come back then Friday may not be an option.

Feels a bit like Glasgow in 97, we had to go with Sundays as lost Friday's when missed the 96 season. And as my old man's forever telling me Friday was our night they stole it :rofl:

Are there some tracks where a Friday wouldn’t suit? Could Friday be a Championship race night across the league?

19 minutes ago, Gazc said:

I would have thought the continuity would have been priority and worry about the Friday night issue when the time comes.

The other thing that might be a consideration is that we may move up which has been rumoured which means we would have to change to a Monday and/or Thursday although this has been rumoured before.

I think Glasgow would be mad to “move up”. I just don’t see the benefit. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

It was always the local derbies with yourselves and Berwick and to a lesser extent Newcastle and Redcar that held them back.

If we lose Edinburgh it may sway them , personally I agree much prefer we we are competing but you never know.

I am sure Edinburgh Speedway will tell you they are actively looking at new land and alternatives to the West Lothian Stadium, unfortunately I think this was Edinburgh`s  one and only chance to get land secured and a new home. Edinburgh won`t take part in any league racing in 2023, I think its difficult to see them returning at all.

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

It was always the local derbies with yourselves and Berwick and to a lesser extent Newcastle and Redcar that held them back.

If we lose Edinburgh it may sway them , personally I agree much prefer we we are competing but you never know.

Our nearest rival team would then become Manchester and 7 would be an uneven amount for a league, not undoable, but would be better with another team joining to make it 8. However whats the benefit for us, with the exception of Doyle, Holder and Fricke we see all the other riders in our league anyway.

I've also got issues with propping up the big league, the second division is our natural domain, the BSPL and its predecessor have done little to support it over the years and would happily collapse it if needs must, to protect their precious Division 1.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, screm said:

I am sure Edinburgh Speedway will tell you they are actively looking at new land and alternatives to the West Lothian Stadium, unfortunately I think this was Edinburgh`s  one and only chance to get land secured and a new home. Edinburgh won`t take part in any league racing in 2023, I think its difficult to see them returning at all.

Why is it difficult to see them returning at all? The will and support is there to make it work. People aren’t it’s going to give that up at the end of this season. Apathy is not the issue unlike with some other clubs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Are there some tracks where a Friday wouldn’t suit? Could Friday be a Championship race night across the league?

God frey will not like that idea .

4 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Depends really, if its the Prem in its current guise then agree but if its a bigger league (say eight teams) and half a dozen very good riders return to the UK then it would be a step up for for a club with lots of ambition.

6 hours ago, Jaizer said:

We ran on a Wednesday in 1990 when greyhounds started using Fridays, then in1991 we changed to Sundays until we moved to Ashfield. :cheers:

10 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Alternate Fridays for the Tigers/Monarchs, with the very occasional Sunday match, would be logistically possible. Glasgow have completed 13 home fixtures in 24 weeks.

Our season didn't start until 15th April - that could come forward to the start of April (although we advertise the season as starting in March), and Jubilee League/KO Cup matches could be on Sundays, with league on Friday nights.

Could even run double-headers, like Berwick do for Bandits/Bullets fixtures.

I think there's still a valid question of desirability and how many Monarchs fans would travel, but from a purely fixture logistics position, I think it could be accommodated even with both clubs using Friday nights. Rain-offs might need to be re-arranged for another day of the week, though.

• Like 1