British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

Edinburgh - new home required….

Yeah get new track home!!! and its stupid building house all time not good, come on leave speedway alone. Edinburgh fans want team to keep going!!!! 

13 minutes ago, speed29 said:

Yeah get new track home!!! and its stupid building house all time not good, come on leave speedway alone. Edinburgh fans want team to keep going!!!! 

Yeah,,, but all the extra people need somewhere to live. 

• Like 1

Never visited Armadale only Powderhall used to enjoy the northern tours , wasn't it an lce cream factory next to Powderhall , recall one year got there early off we went to find some food ,found a greasy cafe on a corner near the stadium,  we ordered the food then sat there watching the guy cooking burgers etc whilst his ash from his fag in his mouth fell onto the food and he just turned over the food and carried on coughing , to afraid to really say anything due the size of the guy we just ate the food and left , great memories though.

Hope something can be sorted to see the Monarchs on track in 2023 

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, noaksey said:

Why have the club been given notice then if no sale agreed?

Cause they’re selling up at the end of the season either way.

• Like 1

While I wouldn’t discount the option of buying Armadale if it was in any way feasible  I can’t help think it’s a chance to make a fresh start. Something purpose built over a period on land that was secured. 

18 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

While I wouldn’t discount the option of buying Armadale if it was in any way feasible  I can’t help think it’s a chance to make a fresh start. Something purpose built over a period on land that was secured. 

Not having a dig but a bit better shape too? Guess if bought armadale could call it purpose built could do whatever they want. But I'd imagine an empty field cost much less than a stadium in middle of a housing estate

6 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

The stadium hasn’t actually been sold. So we can if have the funds purchase it.

Where to find that kind of money will be the problem or they could have bought it years ago.I believe it has planning permission for housing.( could be wrong though)

54 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Not having a dig but a bit better shape too? Guess if bought armadale could call it purpose built could do whatever they want. But I'd imagine an empty field cost much less than a stadium in middle of a housing estate

Yes and I think Alex Harkess alluded to that in the British Speedway podcast. Armadale is never going to be luxury but I think any significant investment has been avoided because of the uncertainty around its future. Whatever direction we go it needs to be settled in the next 4-5 months otherwise I can’t see Edinburgh racing in 2023. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Yeah,,, but all the extra people need somewhere to live. 

Yes and more council tax for the council so let’s get building.

Not great news for the Monarchs. Without support from Local Council / Government always an uphill battle for a new site - plus a shedload of cash. Any landlord is going to be tempted to sell a site for housing.   Fear this won't be the only club not to be running in 2023. Hopefully some more good news stories like Oxford situation but few and far between. 

Feels like one step forward and two back with clubs at the moment.

Sad to see this news & that about Poole being on a short lease not long after the good news of Oxford re opening.

I find it interesting reading the comments about the bad shape of the track as it was originally built to be the same shape as the original speedway track at Wimbledon to help the Scottish stock car drivers to win at the major championships that were held at Wimbledon. In later years Roy Cecil who ran Spedeworth Scotland joked that he and Gordon McDougall tossed a coin each winter and the loser had to run Armadale.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I find it interesting reading the comments about the bad shape of the track as it was originally built to be the same shape as the original speedway track at Wimbledon to help the Scottish stock car drivers to win at the major championships that were held at Wimbledon. In later years Roy Cecil who ran Spedeworth Scotland joked that he and Gordon McDougall tossed a coin each winter and the loser had to run Armadale.

Unfortunately there are many on here who feel that any track that isn't shaped like Belle Vue is rubbish and should immediately be condemned. The particular skill set required to race around places like Armadale, Wolves, Plymouth, and many other "more technical" tracks are being lost every year. Personally I find the variety of different tracks in the UK very enjoyable. Admittedly they could often be prepared better (the entire speedway world miss Doc and his like) and this is the case up and down the whole country. Places like Armadale can produce terrific meetings. 

Sounds like the owners have been as reasonable as possible. They have decided to sell up, and have offered the stadium up for the Monarchs or anyone else to purchase. I do fear that if the Monarchs miss 2023 then we could end up with enthusiasm waning and another slow drawn out death. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wtf said:

Unfortunately there are many on here who feel that any track that isn't shaped like Belle Vue is rubbish and should immediately be condemned. The particular skill set required to race around places like Armadale, Wolves, Plymouth, and many other "more technical" tracks are being lost every year. Personally I find the variety of different tracks in the UK very enjoyable. Admittedly they could often be prepared better (the entire speedway world miss Doc and his like) and this is the case up and down the whole country. Places like Armadale can produce terrific meetings. 

Sounds like the owners have been as reasonable as possible. They have decided to sell up, and have offered the stadium up for the Monarchs or anyone else to purchase. I do fear that if the Monarchs miss 2023 then we could end up with enthusiasm waning and another slow drawn out death. 

Completely agree.  This is why I find Polish extraleague quite boring because I enjoy watching riders mastering a track or failing badly and it's not always about overtaking or the best set up bike.

• Like 2