British Speedway Forum
cinderfella

Glasgow v Scunthorpe 12th June 2023

Weather not looking good in Glasgow this weekend. Have to be some serious doubts this will be on tomorrow 

Are I right in thinking Glasgow are not streaming the meeting this afternoon?   No updates from Glasgow's twitter since Friday afternoon.

Glasgow haven't been streaming this season unfortunately.

20 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Backwards step.

We agree, but we can only assume it's not breaking even. 

3 minutes ago, Joseq7 said:

We agree, but we can only assume it's not breaking even. 

Also, more competition this year, with more teams streaming, plus BSN. I think a lot of people overlook that. There’s no way they were making money on just Glasgow fans.

Glasgow, as is the way of the Faceena brothers paid top wack for the best Streaming Production available to them at realistic costs.

Clearly it must not have made them any money and why should any Club lose money to stream speedway to people who lets be honest are watching on TV as it's easier to do that then get off their backsides and go and watch it live. There will always be genuine and worthy exceptions and away support for whom its more practical, no point denying that but surely it has to be both profitable and sustainable but also not be detrimental to reducing/eroding attendence for the Live version any more.

A number of Clubs are doing good streaming but unless in the final analysis it makes them some net profit why would you sell a product for 12 quid that probably 2-3 people watch for one subscription of 12 quid; when those 2-3 people could be spending £50-£60 to come in and another £20-£30 on food and drink and possibly merchandise. They would have to buy probably 5-6 streams to generate the possible income from ONE actual visit. 

It's a sad fact that too many of us, and as a collective it's a trait in Speedway seem to expect hard working Promotions to just keep on subsidising the Team for them to turn up as and when they feel like it. 

Its not nor has it been for a few decades a sustainable business model. 

• Like 4

The weather forecast gives heavy rain this afternoon, is the meeting likely to go ahead, I will have to leave soon to get there.

50 minutes ago, Dodger Blue said:

The weather forecast gives heavy rain this afternoon, is the meeting likely to go ahead, I will have to leave soon to get there.

It's really difficult to say. 

The promotion has tweeted a general "when and where" tweet first thing so they're intending to go ahead.

Judging by the forecasts it'll be showery but it's quite blustery too. 

My "guess" is it'll definitely be ON, although TBH I wish I hadn't prebooked at ticket online as its pretty miserable. 

59 minutes ago, Dodger Blue said:

Tweet at 1139......

Track looking good for today's meeting.

Tickets still available at the stadium. 
Gates open 1.30 Tapes up 3pm.

Good luck tigers

#WeAreGlasgow https://t.co/NX54mLxnJa

Anyone in the area give an update? Where I am been raining more or less all morning with the odd spell of sun. Loads heavy clouds around too. Does seem localised though

Sorry to go off subject for a moment but it seems that the TRNSMT music festival is on in Glasgow on the 9th July, same day as the GB v ROW meeting.

Hotel prices through the roof. 

19 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Sorry to go off subject for a moment but it seems that the TRNSMT music festival is on in Glasgow on the 9th July, same day as the GB v ROW meeting.

Hotel prices through the roof. 

Not the best planning. Plenty hotels in Hamilton/ Motherwell for those heading south be at more reasonable prices I expect

• Like 1

There's been rain in Partick this morning. Windy and definitely not warm. Suspect it will go ahead but I'm going to give it a miss today. Partly the weather and partly because 3pm on a Sunday makes getting other things done a bit awkward.