British Speedway Forum
Bavarian

Great Britain v Rest of the World at Glasgow, Saturday, July 9

15 minutes ago, iainb said:

Seems a strange day to run this, especially with a 3pm start, when the likes of Chris Harris, Steve Worrall, Danny King, Richard Lawson & Leon Flint are riding later the same evening... especially when there are some blank Saturday nights coming up with no fixtures in the height of summer!

Today should have been the Russian GP which was suspended so it was an opportunity to run a meeting here with some GP riders involved, if they wanted to come.

4 minutes ago, MD said:

Brilliant meeting to watch with lots of passing and repassing throughout, and often from the Championship riders. Lambert's hunting of Doyle and getting him on the last lap was superb. The only criticism was the excessive time between races with no grading and no one riding back to back. Rasser will need to smarten up for the GP Qualifier.

He was using Basso's bikes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Robert Lambert is some rider now. Not seen him in years but really fast. If could gate could be WC

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Robert Lambert is some rider now. Not seen him in years but really fast. If could gate could be WC

That might be pushing it a bit far tbh! My opinion is based on watching the GPs though. He could be consistent top 6, not convinced about being WC. Bewley will though. 

11 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

That might be pushing it a bit far tbh! My opinion is based on watching the GPs though. He could be consistent top 6, not convinced about being WC. Bewley will though. 

I know Doyle might not be the top top rider he once was but Lambert was faster than him in heat 1, couldn't get past then stalked and passed Doyle in another heat. All afternoon his gating was poor but he's so so fast if gets fresh air

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

A lot of them on ROW side prob be riding in Poland though. Maybe this a rare Saturday off! 

7 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I know Doyle might not be the top top rider he once was but Lambert was faster than him in heat 1, couldn't get past then stalked and passed Doyle in another heat. All afternoon his gating was poor but he's so so fast if gets fresh air

He's definitely got at least one world title in him if he can gate a bit better and miost importantly be a bit more dominant on track, I feel he sometimes lacks a bit of self belief and ends up riding a bit defensively. I'd say as things stand he looks more likely (through seeing the GPs and going by Polish scores) to do it than Bewley but he has that extra development and experience in comparison. Hopefully they can both win some, depends very much who else is around when they hit their prime

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

He's definitely got at least one world title in him if he can gate a bit better and miost importantly be a bit more dominant on track, I feel he sometimes lacks a bit of self belief and ends up riding a bit defensively. I'd say as things stand he looks more likely (through seeing the GPs and going by Polish scores) to do it than Bewley but he has that extra development and experience in comparison. Hopefully they can both win some, depends very much who else is around when they hit their prime

Bewley over Lambert for me but it's just good to have 3 very good brits in gps 

Today was exceptional in terms of entertainment. Just about every race had passing and when it comes to speedway you cannot ask for more than what you were given today. 

However,

Glasgow track staff really need to get control of the dust. I was recently at Oxford and it was 26 degrees and there was next to nothing coming up until heat 15. Today they watered the track before the kids race and once that was finished it had already dried back up for the riders coming out.

It obviously must be difficult to get it right but that was a dust bowl from heats 1-15 today. Maybe need to invest in a new sprinkler or fans could bring water pistols and spray from the stands.

All that aside, that today felt like the starter before the main event GP qualifier next month which should be brilliant. :D

• Like 1

What rules were being worked to today.  Nothing in the programme to tell you.  Normanal meetings state that they are run under SCB regulations.  Could not have been FIM regulations as today's referee is not an FIM qualified referee.  Three Tactical substitutions in the meeting?  Was it as someone said to me a Mickey Mouse meeting run under Mickey Mourse rules.

10 minutes ago, SilentLurker said:

Today was exceptional in terms of entertainment. Just about every race had passing and when it comes to speedway you cannot ask for more than what you were given today. 

However,

Glasgow track staff really need to get control of the dust. I was recently at Oxford and it was 26 degrees and there was next to nothing coming up until heat 15. Today they watered the track before the kids race and once that was finished it had already dried back up for the riders coming out.

It obviously must be difficult to get it right but that was a dust bowl from heats 1-15 today. Maybe need to invest in a new sprinkler or fans could bring water pistols and spray from the stands.

All that aside, that today felt like the starter before the main event GP qualifier next month which should be brilliant. :D

I d be surprised if the wind was as strong at Oxford 

• Like 1

Good if expencive day out great racing just a couple points to make wish all the riders had stood on parade till all introduced looked bad them walking back to pits  why oh why did they not water turn one where all the dust was coming from spoilt a good afternoon.my car parked on road behind turns 3-4 was covered in dust so were some of the cars belonging to the houses there.

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Good if expencive day out great racing just a couple points to make wish all the riders had stood on parade till all introduced looked bad them walking back to pits  why oh why did they not water turn one where all the dust was coming from spoilt a good afternoon.my car parked on road behind turns 3-4 was covered in dust so were some of the cars belonging to the houses there.

Don't entirely agree with you as sitting in the stand we were getting plastered with mud first 4/5 heats before the dust appeared. Heat 15 was verging on dangerous though, Richie can't have seen a thing coming out turn 2. 

Thankfully the GP challenge is a 7pm start so shouldn't have same issues 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

Don't entirely agree with you as sitting in the stand we were getting plastered with mud first 4/5 heats before the dust appeared. Heat 15 was verging on dangerous though, Richie can't have seen a thing coming out turn 2. 

Thankfully the GP challenge is a 7pm start so shouldn't have same issues 

What did u think of the crowd? A bit on the low side perhaps good idea to give out free airhorns though!

Just now, geoff100 said:

What did u think of the crowd? A bit on the low side perhaps good idea to give out free airhorns though!

Half an hour before tapes up thought looked pretty small, filled out a bit but had expected a bit bigger crowd tbh. 

Dunno about that, sounded like the south Africa world cup with they bloody vuvuzelas lol. Added a bit of atmosphere I suppose!

Were you with the band of comets on the back straight?

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

Half an hour before tapes up thought looked pretty small, filled out a bit but had expected a bit bigger crowd tbh. 

Dunno about that, sounded like the south Africa world cup with they bloody vuvuzelas lol. Added a bit of atmosphere I suppose!

Were you with the band of comets on the back straight?

Yes was on back straight in the sunshine ,never saw michael max today first never saw him knocking about