British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dickie Head

Oxford v Plymouth. 6/7/22

13 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Clearly more bothered than Roger makes out then! 

Considering that a lot of riders are here, there and everywhere during the season, King might well have said to Plymouth that he would let them know as soon as he had worked out the logistics, particularly machinery - and even if Poole are happy, maybe he wanted to check with Ipswich.

I still don't understand how you can whinge about King accepting a booking for a team that are challenging for the play-offs, and then cheerfully turn round and say that Poole don't mind.

It can't have bothered King, because if it did he would have rejected the booking.  Or maybe it was "agent" King - after all, his five rides produced 8 points, and the heats he featured in resulted in an aggregate of 19-11 to Oxford ;)

I think every rider would take as many guest bookings as they can, they could refuse but they have to earn as much as they can when they can. If a club did not want them to ride then they would have to pay them extra not to take the booking. King may not have had the best of nights at Oxford but I thought he rode well at Kings Lynn last night.

16 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Maybe you can find out if King checked with the Poole management before accepting the booking?

If a club wants to book a guest, they go through the subject rider's own club to book him.    Obviously, they may have checked with the rider beforehand to ascertain his availability, but the booking is with the parent club.

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

If a club wants to book a guest, they go through the subject rider's own club to book him.    Obviously, they may have checked with the rider beforehand to ascertain his availability, but the booking is with the parent club.

In this case Ipswich? so Poole wouldn't have had a say in the booking! 

4 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Considering that a lot of riders are here, there and everywhere during the season, King might well have said to Plymouth that he would let them know as soon as he had worked out the logistics, particularly machinery - and even if Poole are happy, maybe he wanted to check with Ipswich.

I still don't understand how you can whinge about King accepting a booking for a team that are challenging for the play-offs, and then cheerfully turn round and say that Poole don't mind.

It can't have bothered King, because if it did he would have rejected the booking.  Or maybe it was "agent" King - after all, his five rides produced 8 points, and the heats he featured in resulted in an aggregate of 19-11 to Oxford ;)

Not really whinging about King per se. Just the situation. I still find it crazy that potentially the captain of the club can stop them getting into top 2 for the playoffs especially if he got a double figure score. But luckily it didn't happen otherwise you would have heard about it for the rest of the year. Probably! ;)

We are just guessing if it bothered him at all or not. We don't actually know. I hope it did a little bit even if it was just for five mins. I doubt most riders take a day to decide whether to take a guest booking or not.

I'm amazed this debate is still running.

Riders will accept guest bookings providing they fit in with existing commitments. They want to earn money.

Teams will not stand in their way. After all next month they might be the ones needing a guest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Riders will accept guest bookings providing they fit in with existing commitments. They want to earn money.

Teams will not stand in their way. After all next month they might be the ones needing a guest.

Which is fine in a general sense. I just think in this situation it might not be the beat idea. Just my opinion though. Always happy to debate with people with opposing views. :t:

Seems a lot of woffle and conspiracy theories about Danny King and Guests in general to me. 

He's a self employed Speedway rider who has a limited career and wants to earn money. He'll ride where he can when he can surely. 

I'm told by a friend that he was at Plymouth on Tuesday night. 

Who knows maybe he's swapping with Kennett (joke BTW) 

Or maybe he's hedging his bets in case Poole don't run next season if their Stadium is closed (not a joke} 

Que sera

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HGould said:

Seems a lot of woffle and conspiracy theories about Danny King and Guests in general to me. 

He's a self employed Speedway rider who has a limited career and wants to earn money. He'll ride where he can when he can surely. 

Or maybe he's hedging his bets in case Poole don't run next season if their Stadium is closed (not a joke} 

Que sera

Poole are running next season it is 2024 that is probably more than an issue. So maybe if your gonna bring it up research it a bit more :t:

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

However, the club (same league) still has to 'release' the rider for a guest booking.

There might be an unseen factor, such as the rider using bikes provided by, and belonging to, his home promotion.

In that case, he might not be allowed to use the equipment (for sensible reasons) to protect it from overuse.

16 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Poole are running next season it is 2024 that is probably more than an issue. So maybe if your gonna bring it up research it a bit more :t:

My research is up to date which is why I said it's not a joke e.g it's not funny it's possible and would please no one.including me. 

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Que sera

Many a true word spoken in jest:t:

2 hours ago, HGould said:

My research is up to date which is why I said it's not a joke e.g it's not funny it's possible and would please no one.including me. 

If your research is up to date then you would know 2023 is okay! 

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

If your research is up to date then you would know 2023 is okay! 

We shall see and I hope that your confidence is correct. 

5 minutes ago, HGould said:

We shall see and I hope that your confidence is correct. 

Makes two of us! Them seem pretty certain about it though :t: