British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GWC

The Elite league

Does it have a future and if not what is to be done?

If you mean the Premiership, well not in its current form with too many variables coming into play, as it is is the number of clubs is not really good enough ie too many matches against the same club.

Next season may see some changes ....Swindon may re join the League, Peterborough’s future is uncertain , will Oxford move up, plus the shortage of riders.

Big changes are needed  for both leagues but will.there be enough drive from the BSPL to go the extra mile....

Add in the state of the economy putting strain on promoters , riders and fans .....well see.

• Like 1

needs another 4 teams and I doubt Swindon will be one of them. 

Yes of course the Premiership but as you have said it’s too few teams and lacks verity.

The promoters want a strong league to sell to TV but the fans have to lump it.

I'm not sure it's just a case of the premiership. 16 'professional' tracks in the UK and not enough riders to fill those without doubling up & guests.

I haven't looked to see how many riders double up frankly I have better things to do, however I would suggest if doubling up was taken away you might have enough riders to fill 6 teams?

Radical overall required as has been the case for probably the last 20-30 years .

1 hour ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I'm not sure it's just a case of the premiership. 16 'professional' tracks in the UK and not enough riders to fill those without doubling up & guests.

I haven't looked to see how many riders double up frankly I have better things to do, however I would suggest if doubling up was taken away you might have enough riders to fill 6 teams?

Radical overall required as has been the case for probably the last 20-30 years .

....and yet the sport still continues as long as there are stadia that agree to host it!

Needs to go to 2 Leagues - 

A professional League of all the clubs that can afford it at a level similar to the current Championship and call it the British League. 6 man teams will help as regards the rider shortage.

A second tier at a level a bit higher than the present NL retaining the NL name. Only Commonwealth and British riders can ride in this League.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

Needs to go to 2 Leagues - 

A professional League of all the clubs that can afford it at a level similar to the current Championship and call it the British League. 6 man teams will help as regards the rider shortage.

A second tier at a level a bit higher than the present NL retaining the NL name. Only Commonwealth and British riders can ride in this League.

wd more likely need 5 man teams, but it works elsewhere

8 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

....and yet the sport still continues as long as there are stadia that agree to host it!

Still continues agreed, but with an ever dwindling number of clubs almost annually...

Eventually that can only end one way cant it? 

And "stiil continues" is sadly more towards to "still exists" than "still prospers"...

Which should be the true measure of any entity...

If the Polish riding superstars are allowed back that would provide more riders, and also generate a fair amount of interest.. 

Hopefully Discovery's deep pockets can help bankroll that level of rider back..

• Confused 1

couple of factors to halt what needs to be done.

1. TV money split between 10 or even 8 instead of 6 reduces the revenue receipts for the existing 6.  Those that move up lose streaming receipts, replaced by TV money?

2. Remove doubling up and the riders increase their rates to compensate. The lack of available riders gives them a strong bargaining position. 6 or even 5 man teams might help but would riding 5 heats per meeting compensate for riding in two leagues?

In summary each team has less revenue and at the same time their costs go up. Not very appealing.

8 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

But to half the clubs that were in existence when I started attending in 89 and those in attendance at the remaining venues has at least halved since then.

The race to the bottom continues apace!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, enotian said:

couple of factors to halt what needs to be done.

1. TV money split between 10 or even 8 instead of 6 reduces the revenue receipts for the existing 6.  Those that move up lose streaming receipts, replaced by TV money?

2. Remove doubling up and the riders increase their rates to compensate. The lack of available riders gives them a strong bargaining position. 6 or even 5 man teams might help but would riding 5 heats per meeting compensate for riding in two leagues?

In summary each team has less revenue and at the same time their costs go up. Not very appealing.

riding more fixtures remember - and coming up against other top boys less regularly, so yes to a degree. 

14 hours ago, mikebv said:

Still continues agreed, but with an ever dwindling number of clubs almost annually...

Eventually that can only end one way cant it? 

And "stiil continues" is sadly more towards to "still exists" than "still prospers"...

Which should be the true measure of any entity...

If the Polish riding superstars are allowed back that would provide more riders, and also generate a fair amount of interest.. 

Hopefully Discovery's deep pockets can help bankroll that level of rider back..

How can we possibly have the Polish superstars back? Who is going to pay for them with current crowds.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

But to half the clubs that were in existence when I started attending in 89 and those in attendance at the remaining venues has at least halved since then.

The race to the bottom continues apace!

Yes but the reduction of speedway clubs has been as much to do with stadium closures as it has been the fault of speedway promotions!!

You surely can't blame the speedway clubs at Coventry, Lakeside, Somerset and Swindon for example!  They would all still be racing if the stadia were available.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, BuxtonTiger said:

How can we possibly have the Polish superstars back? Who is going to pay for them with current crowds.

While pay is an issue for the superstars, it's more volume of matches that are keeping some of the B-List riders away I think. Attracting the A-Listers will be difficult, but there's definitely scope for more stars to come back if they didn't have to race in as many meetings.

Remove the Polish rule, reduce the amount of meetings, and I'm sure there would be far more interest from riders (I hope).

• Like 1