British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

Oxford 2022

As a matter of interest are other clubs operating a pre-booked ticket only policy?

7 minutes ago, baiden said:

Count again. There are three people on this thread, let alone the many others on different threads about Oxford.

Not all the cash is being taken through a till, though, there are plenty of places where it's taken by a man/woman in front of a table!

I honestly can't see where the extra cost is going to come in. There's no need to employ extra staff, they already have lots of people on the gate checking QR codes, they already need the security for the other cash taken and they already need to visit the bank. And that's my point, if it does cost much more, then fair enough, but just don't see how it could.

You've organised events, so how much of a difference financially is it to have someone take cash and check QR codes, as opposed to just checking QR codes? I don't know, maybe there is a difference. In a worst case scenario, would it cost much more just to have one entrance where cash could be taken?

I guess Oxford know best. At the end of the day, all I'm saying is it would be nice if they took cash on the gate. It's not going to stop me going if they don't.

I remember during Oxford's past that someone was "employed" at the gate to collect money and his reward was free entry to the meeting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I remember during Oxford's past that someone was "employed" at the gate to collect money and his reward was free entry to the meeting.

I would estimate that 90% of duties performed at Speedway are by volunteers with the reward free admission. Think that is becoming an issue in the sport for a number of reasons.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, baiden said:

There's no need to employ extra staff, they already have lots of people on the gate checking QR codes, they already need the security for the other cash taken and they already need to visit the bank.

As I said, it's harder to argue if there's cash involved elsewhere, but the difference between checking QR codes and taking cash is somewhat different. With pre-paid tickets the money has already been taken, so it's just a matter of ensuring someone has paid so the level of trust and supervision can be lower.

You've organised events, so how much of a difference financially is it to have someone take cash and check QR codes, as opposed to just checking QR codes? I don't know, maybe there is a difference. In a worst case scenario, would it cost much more just to have one entrance where cash could be taken?

The last couple of 'large' events that I did were probably in the order of couple of thousand people each. I personally spent the entire day trying to find a bank that could provide $5k in $5 and $10 bills as a float (this wasn't the UK), supervising the cash collection at the gates, counting the cash to ensure it matched the entries, and then guarding the cash until the end of the event. That basically meant I couldn't do anything else, so effectively added one person to the payroll. With bigger events and more entrances, you'd need more people involved in the cash supervision. 

The problem with one entrance is that everyone tends to turn up at once and with bigger crowds causes confusion and creates congestion which is critical at the start of the event. 

It's not insurmountable if you have the resources, but you have to balance the number of volunteers you have or the wages you'll have to pay against what you think you might lose if you don't take cash. For the rugby events only about 10-15% of people paid cash anyway (and that was 3 years ago), whereas for the motorsport events it had already dwindled to 1-2% before we insisted on online payments only. [In practice, if someone turns up on the day and offers cash then I do accept it, but I just don't advertise it.]

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

29 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Sadly - and whilst I don't wish to impune anyone - you still have to supervise volunteers when it comes to cash. A combination of laxity - if it's not your money - temptation, and letting in your mates for nothing, means any promoter should be maintaining a high degree of supervision over the cash take.

26 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

As I said, it's harder to argue if there's cash involved elsewhere, but the difference between checking QR codes and taking cash is somewhat different. With pre-paid tickets the money has already been taken, so it's just a matter of ensuring someone has paid so the level of trust and supervision can be lower.

The last couple of 'large' events that I did were probably in the order of couple of thousand people each. I personally spent the entire day trying to find a bank that could provide $5k in $5 and $10 bills as a float (this wasn't the UK), supervising the cash collection at the gates, counting the cash to ensure it matched the entries, and then guarding the cash until the end of the event. That basically meant I couldn't do anything else, so effectively added one person to the payroll. With bigger events and more entrances, you'd need more people involved in the cash supervision. 

The problem with one entrance is that everyone tends to turn up at once and with bigger crowds causes confusion and creates congestion which is critical at the start of the event. 

It's not insurmountable if you have the resources, but you have to balance the number of volunteers you have or the wages you'll have to pay against what you think you might lose if you don't take cash. For the rugby events only about 10-15% of people paid cash anyway (and that was 3 years ago), whereas for the motorsport events it had already dwindled to 1-2% before we insisted on online payments only. 

Completely understand what you are saying, and appreciate the complexities of hosting an event where cash is involved.

In your honest opinion, though, if you were already taking cash at bars/official food outlets and programme stalls, would it have been that much extra hassle to take cash on the gate? For the motorsport events where you insisted on online payments only, were there cash exchanges going on elsewhere that you had to manage? Just interested if they go hand-in-hand, or not.

I guess the Oxford situation will be proven one way or the other once the greyhound racing starts. If that's also online only, I'll eat my hat!

Edited by baiden
  • Like 2

I reckon Oxford will resort to cash and card on gate once the crowds start falling..Summer Trophy etc., Older fans without smartphones will pay on gate. I watch Cirencester Town, cash only on gate, Hungerford Town, where nearly 40% pay cash/ card on gate. So out of a crowd of say 550, 200 don't pay online in advance? Mainly older fans.

• Like 1

Went to Silverstone for the British Superbikes early this year and you had to set up an account and then buy your ticket as they had no ticket office. We didn’t realise this until we arrived so ended up in the customer support centre.

Food outlets you could pay using cash so.

With Oxford having a capacity limit I expect it is much easier to keep track of the number off tickets sold using online selling.

Pubs, sporting events and businesses are going cashless so people are just going to have to get used to it.

I'm happy to buy online in advance but as baiden said his Dad won't attend. As a lot of speedway fans are over 65 and don't feel comfortable with that method of payment would be good for Oxford to eventually be all-inclusive to all Cheetahs fans to increase attendances when interest starts waning.

• Like 1

I organise 3 events per year ( autojumbles) https://en-gb.facebook.com/South-Midlands-Autojumble-454079101421891/  while some stall holders choose to take the option of payment in advance at a discount, the majority turn up on the day, cash is the only means of payment on the 3 entrance gates for the public , it has been going 32 years now

Using these methods the stall prices have remained the same for 32 years and public admission has crept up from £2.50p to £4.00 in the same period, we looked at on line ticketing and basically it just meant some financial body was dipping into our cash as there would be a fee for their services/card readers/percentage charges, and if the system failed you were basically b*****ed

Ok it is a fairly small event relatively, with approx 100 stall holders and around 900 plus paying attendees, but as the majority of customers are in the same ( or older) group as Speedway audiences, it still works, although last year we had some bearded hipster turn up without any cash and said he never carried any and we should take cards, he got instructions to the nearest cash point as strangely enough he did not have any mates who could lend him a fiver, what he thought he was going to buy off the traders with his plastic was anybodies guess as most would suggest a convenient slot for his credit card !

• Like 4

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

As a matter of interest are other clubs operating a pre-booked ticket only policy?

Might be worth starting a thread to find out Steve?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Not at Poole, I always pay cash. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Don’t think there are .(could be wrong).

9 hours ago, baiden said:

In your honest opinion, though, if you were already taking cash at bars/official food outlets and programme stalls, would it have been that much extra hassle to take cash on the gate?

Probably not, but as others have pointed out it may be the only way to prove stadium capacity has not been exceeded.

In the old days, sports venues had turnstiles with counters, but I don't think they've been used at Oxford for years. 

17 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I would estimate that 90% of duties performed at Speedway are by volunteers with the reward free admission. Think that is becoming an issue in the sport for a number of reasons.

During my time I have been one of the merry band of volunteers at a few tracks for pre-season duties & then throughout the season & yes my reward was free entry for myself & usually a programme, At one track there would be a tray of sandwichs & a fruit cake for us after racing,

The biggest problem in recent years as the single volunteer still gets their entry & often a programme or at least a race sheet. But greed has become a factor & many expect to be able to bring a group of family & friends in with them & if one volunteer brings 5 people in for free that works out to be £2K+ by October. You don't need many of those before you have a big dent in your budget.

• Like 1