British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Oxford vs Plymouth 27/07/22

6 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I’m assuming a trackside drug test gives only a positive or negative result. Then a urine or blood test will determine what the substance is. 
he has been taking painkillers for his injured shoulder.  So if that’s on the ok list he is free to carry on. 
if it’s a painkiller not on the allowed list I’d imagine it’s a short ban or fine

however if it’s a recreational drug he is in deep trouble. But we need to remember he is innocent until proven otherwise. 

Let's not forget this is Speedway.

It's probably the most basic of tests and the thought that there would be any provision to take a blood test at the Track if a result on the basic test warranted it is frankly hilarious.

The sample will be sent for further testing but once again, this is Speedway so I doubt its anything like the depth / quality of the investigation of say professional football, Rugby , Cycling , Athletics etc.

Would Speedway even have a list of permissible counter drugs etc.

Whatever the outcome Speedway needs to really improve drug testing massively.

There are historically many cases of recreational drug abuse over a long period where a blind eye has been turned on too many occasions, some offenders indeed have been eulogised as "charachters" and given some form of legitimacy.

You either have a zero tolerance policy or you dont and until you do the Sport as a whole is living in cuckoo land.

If he has taken a recreational drug he deserves a severe ban, if he hasn't then I doubt the testing will be strong enough to completely exonerate him.

If he is found guilty then I would suggest mandatory random testing at every track at least once a month to if you'll excuse the pun, weed out the problem. Finding one guilty every 4 or 5 years is not a proper drug testing policy it's paying lip service to a known problem.

13 minutes ago, HGould said:

It's probably the most basic of tests and the thought that there would be any provision to take a blood test at the Track if a result on the basic test warranted it is frankly hilarious.

The sample will be sent for further testing but once again, this is Speedway so I doubt its anything like the depth / quality of the investigation of say professional football, Rugby , Cycling , Athletics etc.

There are historically many cases of recreational drug abuse over a long period where a blind eye has been turned on too many occasions, some offenders indeed have been eulogised as "charachters" and given some form of legitimacy.

You either have a zero tolerance policy or you dont and until you do the Sport as a whole is living in cuckoo land.

If he has taken a recreational drug he deserves a severe ban, if he hasn't then I doubt the testing will be strong enough to completely exonerate him.

If he is found guilty then I would suggest mandatory random testing at every track at least once a month to if you'll excuse the pun, weed out the problem. Finding one guilty every 4 or 5 years is not a proper drug testing policy it's paying lip service to a known problem.

I don’t think Drug Testing at any Event will be “ Mickey Mouse”

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, HGould said:

Unless it has changed in the last few years, I can confirm that the riders get a list of items they cant take and the substances they need to look for in OTC medication that they cant take.

I got a copy of one from a rider when I was doing my pharmacy exams quite a few years ago

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HGould said:

I think I recall that K Howarth had taken "Night Nurse"

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HGould said:

Only previous precedents I can think of are Roger lobb and Frank smart. And wasn't there something with Danny bird as well? Anyway to my recollection none of those riders were seen again. I'm not in the know or in any way know what goes on behind closed doors when comes to riders private lives but being intoxicated in any Motorsport is extremely dangerous and must be dealt with severely 

He reportedly drove away from the track?! Surprised he was allowed to!!

22 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Only previous precedents I can think of are Roger lobb and Frank smart. And wasn't there something with Danny bird as well? Anyway to my recollection none of those riders were seen again. I'm not in the know or in any way know what goes on behind closed doors when comes to riders private lives but being intoxicated in any Motorsport is extremely dangerous and must be dealt with severely 

Shawn Moran once literally fell out of the taxi that took him to a meeting.

In Germany I think it was, maybe Long Track..

They tested him...

Can't think what made them suspicious...:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

He reportedly drove away from the track?! Surprised he was allowed to!!

A previous post on this topic said he was in the passenger seat of his van when it was driven away with "his head in his hands".

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Its been proving difficult enough to get the PJL fixtures run with riders from the NDL guaranteed rides, i really can't see a long line of riders prepared to travel all over the country, setup, warm up then load up without even getting a spin out of the kindness of their hearts (ignoring the lost wages, days off etc). 

The only way to realistically prevent events like this is to limit the use of RR to exceptional circumstances only and have guests for the missing rider (guests must have be 10-20% lower average than missing rider)

I personally think this rule should be used for all guests. I don't mind guests but don't think teams should be able to strengthen up when missing riders, this makes it harder to do that!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Seem to recall a certain top (ie World Champion)  British rider had to sit out (I think) the 1989 season after testing positive at the BLRC for a 'recreational drug'.
Danny Bird also failed a drug test but has never ridden again though that, I believe, was over his refusal to pay a related fine.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

A previous post on this topic said he was in the passenger seat of his van when it was driven away with "his head in his hands".

If it is true it's no surprise really as Ben just can't help himself ! He gets a great paid max at home & let's himself the club the fans & kids down the very next day 

44 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

I think I recall that K Howarth had taken "Night Nurse"

And Eric "Bootsy" Monaghan

15 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Shawn Moran once literally fell out of the taxi that took him to a meeting.

In Germany I think it was, maybe Long Track..

They tested him...

Can't think what made them suspicious...:D

Kelly Moran had an episode at Eastbourne.

8 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Seem to recall a certain top (ie World Champion)  British rider had to sit out (I think) the 1989 season after testing positive at the BLRC for a 'recreational drug'.
Danny Bird also failed a drug test but has never ridden again though that, I believe, was over his refusal to pay a related fine.

That’s correct regarding Danny Bird.

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Kelly Moran had an episode at Eastbourne.

That’s correct regarding Danny Bird.

A shame re Bird as he looked like he could go somewhere in the sport...

Good to watch too...

Just now, mikebv said:

A shame re Bird as he looked like he could go somewhere in the sport...

Good to watch too...

It was cocaine in his case I believe.

• Like 1