British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Oxford vs Plymouth 27/07/22

Just now, Fromafar said:

It was cocaine in his case I believe.

Indeed...

A waste of a true natural talent on a speedway bike...

Paul Dugard also tested positive for cannabis but the result was thrown out after appeal.

2 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Why do supporters of any club go to a track that their team isn't racing at? Maybe something to do with enjoying speedway. :rolleyes::drink:

Yes I am not that stupid but I was just wondering why Poole fans would be at another teams track on the same night and time  their own team were riding at home !!

Only himself to blame. Zero sympathy should be given. Any rider who fails a drug test should be banned indefinitely. They are putting not only themselves but others in significant danger. Sadly and I do mean sadly, as Ben is a real talent on a speedway bike, I can't help feeling this was only a matter of time. 

• Like 2

Steve Boxall didn't he either refuse to take a test or failed one? I know he had a few problems with his shoulder but he was another who could've done so much more in the sport.

3 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

Steve Boxall didn't he either refuse to take a test or failed one? I know he had a few problems with his shoulder but he was another who could've done so much more in the sport.

He refused to take a test when riding for Kent Kings and was banned for 2 years.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, M.D said:

Paul Dugard also tested positive for cannabis but the result was thrown out after appeal.

To be honest Paul Dugard was a bit of a waster...could have made something of it in speedway but was never dedicated enough.

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

To be honest Paul Dugard was a bit of a waster...could have made something of it in speedway but was never dedicated enough.

Couldn't have said it better. He never looked like making anything of himself.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

Yes I am not that stupid but I was just wondering why Poole fans would be at another teams track on the same night and time  their own team were riding at home !!

Some Poole fans are also Plymouth fans and will be in Devon on Tuesdays and Poole (when they are at home) on Wednesdays.  Quite a few are mates of Garry May - Plymouth Team Manager who is based in Poole and at the Poole track most weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hammer1969 said:

He refused to take a test when riding for Kent Kings and was banned for 2 years.

He was another who wasted the talent he had imo.

2 hours ago, KEITH M said:

We weren't at home!! We were AWAY at Brum. And said fans were also at Brum. 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Some Poole fans are also Plymouth fans and will be in Devon on Tuesdays and Poole (when they are at home) on Wednesdays.  Quite a few are mates of Garry May - Plymouth Team Manager who is based in Poole and at the Poole track most weeks.

Yes but he said we were at home when we were not! We were away. So obv less fans travel. 

I suggest people May want to go onto Plymouth’s Facebook page and read the clubs statement on Ben barker last night they may then have a different view

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Only previous precedents I can think of are Roger lobb and Frank smart. And wasn't there something with Danny bird as well? Anyway to my recollection none of those riders were seen again. I'm not in the know or in any way know what goes on behind closed doors when comes to riders private lives but being intoxicated in any Motorsport is extremely dangerous and must be dealt with severely 

Frank Smart held his hands up, served an 18 month ban and came back after it. And arguably had his best ever season the year he came back. 

Lobb denied it I think and also got banned but came back and done pretty well I think. 

Bird didn't ever pay the fine as far as I remember. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

I suggest people May want to go onto Plymouth’s Facebook page and read the clubs statement on Ben barker last night they may then have a different view

Yeah, had a feeling it was going to be cos of painkiller type situation. But will wait patiently and see what the lab say.