British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Aggregate BP making a return from 2023?

CHAMPIONSHIP promoters are considering a change to the league scoring system for 2023 – and want supporters to have their say on whether to go ahead.

Promoters are looking into options for simplifying the league table, which would also mean a return for the aggregate bonus point.

The aggregate point, which still operates elsewhere in Europe, is awarded to the team with the highest score across home and away matches between two clubs.

This gives teams additional incentive to score as many points as possible in the ‘first leg’ and can often add excitement to the return fixture even if the match itself is already won.

Under the new proposal, the league scoring would be amended to two points for a win (home or away), one point to each club for a draw, and one aggregate point for the team winning over the two legs.

We will be running a poll on @SpeedwayGB Twitter, which will close on Friday evening, where the options will be:

Existing league scoring (keep things as they are)

New league scoring (including aggregate point)

The poll will open at 6pm on Monday August 15, and close at 6pm on Friday August 19.

We look forward to seeing your feedback.

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/championship/championship-2023-your-vote/

Edited by lisa-colette

About bloody time. The current system was ok imo when had the double point rides that kept teams in contention. But since that changed been loads of meetings become processional once result is beyond doubt

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

CHAMPIONSHIP promoters are considering a change to the league scoring system for 2023 – and want supporters to have their say on whether to go ahead.

Promoters are looking into options for simplifying the league table, which would also mean a return for the aggregate bonus point.

The aggregate point, which still operates elsewhere in Europe, is awarded to the team with the highest score across home and away matches between two clubs.

This gives teams additional incentive to score as many points as possible in the ‘first leg’ and can often add excitement to the return fixture even if the match itself is already won.

Under the new proposal, the league scoring would be amended to two points for a win (home or away), one point to each club for a draw, and one aggregate point for the team winning over the two legs.

We will be running a poll on @SpeedwayGB Twitter, which will close on Friday evening, where the options will be:

The poll will open at 6pm on Monday August 15, and close at 6pm on Friday August 19.

So let's hope the core age group of British Speedway fans (55+?) have all got twitter accounts.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

So I can't vote as I don't use Twitter, just don't understand it.  I'm in favour of the old system.

• Like 1

Personally I think the scoring system is one of the few things our governing body has got right in recent years, I really like it although they spoiled it slightly by giving home teams three points for any win. I can see the appeal of the BP system but think the 3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4 is (was) better.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

Just now, Bagpuss said:

Personally I think the scoring system is one of the few things our governing body has got right in recent years, I really like it although they spoiled it slightly by giving home teams three points for any win. I camn see the appeal of the BP system but think the 3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4 is (was) better.

Agreed 

• Like 1

They must be hoping there are enough teams to run two top flight leagues next season overall bonus is good idea again .I don't like the away team getting two points for a draw .just my opinion  

For me the return of the bonus point is a good idea.

But for they should do away with the nice try point, the one that awards a point if the away team loses by 6 points or less.

Whoever heard of a sport where you are rewarded for losing.

For me it has to be;

3 points for a win

2 points for a away draw

1  point for home  draw.

0 points for a loss

• Like 6

The present system is the best it has been for years.

Aggregate point will mean technical tracks will reap the benefit. What do we want to see? last heat deciders or 60-30 romps?

The 2 point away draw is also the right score as what is the point of getting a bonus point for losing within 6 then getting it taken off you because you drew!

PLEASE, DO NOT GO DOWN THE ROUTE OF THE PREMIERSHIP! GOLDEN HEAT FOR DRAW!  

• Like 3

Ultimately the system will make little difference to the overall league table, so really the question is what system retains most interest?

And although I was originally doubtful about it, I think that has proven to be the home: 3-2-1-0, away 0-1-2-3-4 format.

What I really despair at is the possibility we could have three leagues each with a different scoring system next season.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, spin king said:

For me the return of the bonus point is a good idea.

But for they should do away with the nice try point, the one that awards a point if the away team loses by 6 points or less.

Whoever heard of a sport where you are rewarded for losing.

Rugby and cricket.

• Like 4

This is the best news I have read re British speedway for a long time. The current league tables are an absolute mess. The bonus point is a simple and fair incentive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

So let's hope the core age group of British Speedway fans (55+?) have all got twitter accounts.

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

So I can't vote as I don't use Twitter, just don't understand it.  I'm in favour of the old system.

I would have thought if you email them and explain that you don't have a twitter account and how you would have voted, I'm sure they would include it. Though a twitter account is easy enough to set up if you wanted to vote that way.

• Like 1

Oh jeez, ere we go again! :(

Are Exeter thinking of coming back then coz I can't think of any other reason to bring BP back! 

If BP does come back Pirates will av to put the Waves back into Wimborne Road!

Edited by Turnip
  • Like 1

Sorry folks, the baked beans av just kicked in! :oops:

Edited by Turnip