British Speedway Forum
cinderfella

Championship League Riders' Championship at Poole

1 hour ago, Turnip said:

Sam Masters testing his shoulders before the meeting, is there an hidden grimace in there somewhere? :neutral:

20220824_184938.thumb.JPG.5c96ce84cb0ddb2a8a727e5e3461143e.JPG

that's a tricep stretch. It makes me grimace but then again I'm old 

7 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

Oh come on Steve, let’s defend the YOUNG lads. 

brennan 21

flint 19

they ain’t past it mate, they not even began there careers. 

flint at 19 is holding his own at the difficult no5 position in Berwick team for most of season. 

brennan been heat leader most of season to at 21. Scoring double figures for belle Vue at the no2 position he also missed a year with a broken leg then a year with covid putting him 2 years behind. so another way of looking at it is, he’s like a 19 year old

yes they struggled last night. But with 1 racing line right by the fence. Why would they risk injury when there have important matches still to come. 

Not everyone can be a dan Bewley, Michael Lee, bartosz Zmarzlik. Them top young riders come only every so often. 

now I’m not saying they will be world champions. But they will be better than championship riders. 100%

Add to that Brennan has scored major points in World U21 events this year and is riding regularly in Poland albeit the third tier. His career is only going one way at the moment, exciting to see how far that will be.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

now I’m not saying they will be world champions. But they will be better than championship riders. 100%

And of course Tom is already a World Champion

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I remember when this used to be an even bigger meeting at Coventry on a Saturday night and it would attract 7-8000 fans from around all the tracks! Also the winning rider used to get a new bike/engine... last night they got a lump of plastic

They got a cheap looking lump of metal  probably aluminium in the shape of a trophy,  the lump of glass or plastic was no doubt ordered from Amazon and was dispatched from China around a month ago

There was a special award for MPT as he completed another 6 laps of a speedway track before going home

Edited by scoobydoo

38 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Not strictly true.

When Wright was 21 he was a Premier (now Championship) reserve with Redcar and still riding in the NL.

King was riding for NL Mildenhall when aged 20 (in 2006) 

and Lawson hadn't even started speedway (he made his NL debut aged 22)

I think you are being too harsh on both of them, although your original premise that comparing them with others in the same age cohort abroad suggests they may struggle to reach the very top level is not an unreasonable one. I suspect that both may prove in the long term to have similar careers to the three riders you've named.

I hope they do for the sake of British Speedway. But we are falling further and further behind those on the continent and for all the great effort put in by Neil Vatcher, the difference between our young riders and their Polish and European counterparts is vast. The top ten Polish u21 riders would knock our equivalent into a cocked hat.

Brennan has a team berth in the Polish third tier, which helps him but he needs to be riding in the second tier to really meet riders a step above him. The chances of a team berth are slim unless he does something special to catch the eye. Polish talent spotters will be more likely to use local talent which is cheaper and more than likely score more points. 

I expected Brennan to win a race last night, or at least come a close second in a couple of heats. He was nit really any better than Flint who scored the full minimum. Brennan has ridden Poole well in the past in league meetings. Perhaps I am being on the harsh side but I expected more of him. Flint had a blinding meeting at Poole earlier this season with big double figures. Last night he was invisible.

14 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

They got a cheap looking lump of metal  probably aluminium in the shape of a trophy,  the lump of glass or plastic was no doubt ordered from Amazon and was dispatched from China around a month ago

https://trophyshack.co.uk/product/millennium-football-jade-glass-award-80mm/?utm_source=Google+Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AP+Feed+3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_JSl19vh-QIVir7tCh2hwArqEAQYBSABEgI3iPD_BwE

Was there even any shampoo sprayed?

https://www.trolley.co.uk/product/prosecco-prosecco-spumante-extra-dry/JGE295

No expense spared!

Edited by iainb

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

I hope they do for the sake of British Speedway. But we are falling further and further behind those on the continent and for all the great effort put in by Neil Vatcher, the difference between our young riders and their Polish and European counterparts is vast. The top ten Polish u21 riders would knock our equivalent into a cocked hat.

Brennan has a team berth in the Polish third tier, which helps him but he needs to be riding in the second tier to really meet riders a step above him. The chances of a team berth are slim unless he does something special to catch the eye. Polish talent spotters will be more likely to use local talent which is cheaper and more than likely score more points. 

I expected Brennan to win a race last night, or at least come a close second in a couple of heats. He was nit really any better than Flint who scored the full minimum. Brennan has ridden Poole well in the past in league meetings. Perhaps I am being on the harsh side but I expected more of him. Flint had a blinding meeting at Poole earlier this season with big double figures. Last night he was invisible.

Under 24 league should help keep him in the shop window there, but compared with Francis Gusts, Jan Kvech and even Timi Salonen he doesn't look like a future GP star. Add these to Basso and the Poles and you've probably got at least 8-10  riders that are better prospects than Brennan at the under 21 level and in practice only 2 or 3 of these will become GP regulars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I think riders lie Tom Brennan need to quit the Championship now if they are going to move up in class. Stick with the top flight for now, but they need to concentrate on riding abroad too.

The first step, though, is stop riding in the comfort zone of Division 2. Rding in Poland's top league has to be the goal in the end.

There is a reason that riders like Bewley and Lambert have moved up in standard, and it's the same reason that many Swedes, Poles, Danes and Americans did the same in the past by concentrating on making it in the top league in the World.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

that's a tricep stretch. It makes me grimace but then again I'm old 

I know the feeling ;)

7 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Under 24 league should help keep him in the shop window there, but compared with Francis Gusts, Jan Kvech and even Timi Salonen he doesn't look like a future GP star. Add these to Basso and the Poles and you've probably got at least 8-10  riders that are better prospects than Brennan at the under 21 level and in practice only 2 or 3 of these will become GP regulars.

You only have to look at the history books to see that a good U21 rider doesn't always go on to be a good senior rider... a lot fall by the wayside for whatever reason. Did Dan Bewley show anything on the world U21 stage?

13 hours ago, Bunce said:

My first experience of watching a live stream from BSN and I'm very impressed. Great camera work and commentary with top notch graphics. This is as good as any TV coverage so congratulations to all involved with this broadcast.

I thought it was very well done. 

I thought the presenters were very good - light-hearted, chatty and knowledgeable. They kept my interest during the long gaps much better than happens on Eurosport.

I thought Dave Rowe and Adam Roynan complemented each other well too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I thought Dave Rowe and Adam Roynan complemented each other well too.

Agreed... I thought Dave Rowe was a lot better without Sam Ermolenko 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I think riders lie Tom Brennan need to quit the Championship now if they are going to move up in class. Stick with the top flight for now, but they need to concentrate on riding abroad too.

The first step, though, is stop riding in the comfort zone of Division 2. Rding in Poland's top league has to be the goal in the end.

There is a reason that riders like Bewley and Lambert have moved up in standard, and it's the same reason that many Swedes, Poles, Danes and Americans did the same in the past by concentrating on making it in the top league in the World.

Absolutely spot on and the point I was trying to make.

No point stagnating in a little pond.

Do what Lambert and Bewley did - get in the big pond asap.

Both Brennan and Flint and a whole host of others have wasted time in the NDL as it is, don't make the same mistake again.

Heard that the BSN has been a mild success. Enough to go again in 2023. I think the webpage on the British Speedway site is terrible and hard to navigate. A dedicated website is required and much more promotion. BSN is a great value for money platform with about 3 quid for a live meeting if you have the season pass. 

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

You only have to look at the history books to see that a good U21 rider doesn't always go on to be a good senior rider... a lot fall by the wayside for whatever reason. Did Dan Bewley show anything on the world U21 stage?

He didn't do to bad in world u21 4th but cud of won it really

• Thanks 1