British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eide67

Edinburgh v Redcar KO Cup Semi Final 1st Leg 19th August 2022

Line-ups from Monarchs website:

Friday 19th August: Edinburgh Monarchs v Redcar Bears (Knockout Cup semi final first leg), Armadale, 7:30pm

WTF MONARCHS: Sam Masters (captain), Lasse Fredriksen, Kye Thomson, Paco Castagna, Josh Pickering, James Sarjeant, Jacob Hook.

AGILIA BEARS: Charles Wright, Jason Edwards, Richard Lawson (guest), Kasper Andersen, Lewis Kerr (captain) Kyle Newman, Jordan Jenkins.

That looks a strong Bears line-up with no weak links around Armadale. Great to see Sam back for the home side. Think this will be close.

Never quite sure what Bears team will turn up in these matches - can be quite inconsistent away from home.

Will watch on the excellent stream that Edinburgh always provide and hope the Bears can keep it close.

• Like 1

I’m worried Sam has come back too quickly. Hoping he gets through the meeting unscathed. 

Edited by JanAndersen

2 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

I’m worried Sam has come back too quickly. Hoping he gets through the meeting unscathed. 

started ok looked like he was flagging  towards the end track was heavy so would be a strain on his shoulder maybe should have given ht 15 to paco he was well on the pace all night 

• Thanks 2

Strange meeting I thought.

Never felt the Bears were riding well but ended up only 4 points down. Track obviously very tricky early on with numerous falls and spread out racing.

Kerr came good in his last 2 rides and Lawson was a good guest. 

Best I have seen Castagna ride and Pickering as entertaining as usual.

Edited by Yearbyred
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Yearbyred said:

Strange meeting I thought.

Never felt the Bears were riding well but ended up only 4 points down. Track obviously very tricky early on with numerous falls and spread out racing.

Kerr came good in his last 2 rides and Lawson was a good guest. 

Best I have seen Castagna ride and Pickering as entertaining as usual.

Think even Bears fans find the Bears hard to fathom out.Everything from brilliant to mediocre this season.

Sam started well but as a previous post suggest flagged a bit in his last 2 rides. A courageous performance from the captain on a heavy track.

Paco best rider tonight. When he didn’t come round after his last race and headed to pits I thought he was a certainty for heat 15.

Poor  management IMO. Castagna merited heat 15.

Only dropped a point, paid 11. Manager should have put him in last heat.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Sam started well but as a previous post suggest flagged a bit in his last 2 rides. A courageous performance from the captain on a heavy track.

Paco best rider tonight. When he didn’t come round after his last race and headed to pits I thought he was a certainty for heat 15.

Poor  management IMO. Castagna merited heat 15.

Only dropped a point, paid 11. Manager should have put him in last heat.

Absolutely agree. Sam shouldn’t have been out but I get the feeling he will always be given the option. Having to hug the inside line can’t have been very comfortable for his injuries either. 

• Like 2

Thought when we were 8 up with 5 to go we’d push on cause 9/10 we’re normally very strong from then. Last night it just didn’t happen for one reason or another. Kerr went from being totally useless to popping out the gate in 13/15. 

Could see Sam was starting to struggle after his 2nd ride. Should’ve had paco in heat 15 as would’ve been on a max if it wasn’t for the fact heat 3 had to get rerun 3 times. Still extremely unsure how that wasn’t awarded as we were 3 laps in and it was well spread out. 

4 points it is. Is it enough probably not but these boys have proved us wrong before. Shout out to the big Redcar following last night was great to see so many make the trip and and we’re a good laugh as well.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Absolutely agree. Sam shouldn’t have been out but I get the feeling he will always be given the option. Having to hug the inside line can’t have been very comfortable for his injuries either. 

IMO Alex Harkess should have offered  Ht 15 to Paco who certainly justified his inclusion based on his performance on the night.

Got the impression when interviewed on his Rider of the Night presentation Paco was disappointed not to have been included for the last race.

Everyone I spoke to agreed that they thought Sam understandably tired as the meeting progressed, and putting him in ht 15 done him no favours in his recovery from his injuries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cyclone said:

IMO Alex Harkess should have offered  Ht 15 to Paco who certainly justified his inclusion based on his performance on the night.

Got the impression when interviewed on his Rider of the Night presentation Paco was disappointed not to have been included for the last race.

Everyone I spoke to agreed that they thought Sam understandably tired as the meeting progressed, and putting him in ht 15 done him no favours in his recovery from his injuries.

He could always have said No!!!

I agree with the above. Gallant effort from the Skipper but heat 13 was far enough. 

I had newbe fans there last night and they are instant Josh fans. Superb night for Paco, we need his Dad to come every week.

Best wishes to Kasper Andersen, hoping nothing too serious. He looked very uncomfortable climbing into the ambulance

Would echo all of that.  Looked as if 4 rides was more than enough for Sam, especially with the track conditions  as they were.  Nothing is ever certain in Speedway but  Paco was going very well and confident & may have added an extra point - who knows.  Has to be said the Kerr/Lawson duo were very strong towards the end. For me though, perhaps the key to to Redcar's success ( in keeping the deficit to just 4 ) was the 14 from their reserves against our 7.  I guess that Lasse with only 1 from 3 helped them also,  Should be another close one down at theirs but if everyone chips in with points as per usual away form we have a good chance of doing well.

29 minutes ago, SlicktrackSandy said:

Would echo all of that.  Looked as if 4 rides was more than enough for Sam, especially with the track conditions  as they were.  Nothing is ever certain in Speedway but  Paco was going very well and confident & may have added an extra point - who knows.  Has to be said the Kerr/Lawson duo were very strong towards the end. For me though, perhaps the key to to Redcar's success ( in keeping the deficit to just 4 ) was the 14 from their reserves against our 7.  I guess that Lasse with only 1 from 3 helped them also,  Should be another close one down at theirs but if everyone chips in with points as per usual away form we have a good chance of doing well.

Should be a really close affair. Last year, the Monarchs got a draw in the league and spanked us in the play offs. At the Ecco arena.

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

He could always have said No!!!

Sometimes riders need to be protected from themselves.

There's discretion and valour and all that.

Sam should have been overruled - he may not even have known just how well Paco had been going.