British Speedway Forum
scoobydoo

Panthers v Tigers 29/08/22

4 hours ago, wtf said:

British speedway agreed a contract with Anlas for Tyres. A large amount over a long term. This was a big money contract. 

First the big money contract for Gerhard engines that nobody wanted, now a big money contract for tyres that aren't fit for purpose. 

The BSPZzz are the common denominator. Are they not funded by the member clubs, which in turn are funded by your admission receipts? So now you know how your money is being wasted.

• Like 1

Is it time to put studs in the tyres as in Ice Racing?

That way one tyre could last all season and the studs could rip the track up and save the need for extra track grading.

31 minutes ago, Lefty said:

That way one tyre could last all season and the studs could rip the track up and save the need for extra track grading.

I can't see that working. Conventional speedway needs the wheel to spin to allow the bike to go sideways, so ice racing spikes wont allow this and the bikes would be 2 wheeling around the corners, If you used small studs that would allow the rear to spin it would probably rip the studs from the tyre. The cost would be huge to try and develop it just to try it.

A more re enforced tyre carcuss  looks like it's needed to me to hold the tyre together, along with a harder  compound tread blocks so they don't just rip off. Of course the re enforced carcuss wouldn't allow for the tyre to flex as much and the harder tread blocks wouldn't be as grippy, but they might last a meeting.

55 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

First the big money contract for Gerhard engines that nobody wanted, now a big money contract for tyres that aren't fit for purpose. 

The BSPZzz are the common denominator. Are they not funded by the member clubs, which in turn are funded by your admission receipts? So now you know how your money is being wasted.

Don't forget there is a small fee that is paid to the BSPL on every tyre that is sold in the UK.. wouldn't want to omit that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

All spend thousands on kit and tuning at the behest of the promoters, so have to earn thousands from those promoters to cover the outlay..

And all this is done to try and win competitions rendered pretty much irrelevant by the rules and regs implemented by the very same promoters..

Work that one out...:D

I can't sorry, anyone else?

3 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Poland does rule the roost but to be fair poland also has its fair share of ex riders who see the need for change 

That's good news, perhaps you and fellow ex riders are the ones to make lots of noise to help our sport survive?  Us fans don't really understand engines and what their characteristics are and what real difference they can make to racing, all fans do is not go anymore and that's no help to anyone .....

6 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I have in my workshop a short stroke GM with 93mm piston, I can’t imagine how hard that would be to ride in a British track but clearly someone did, thing is there are ex riders out there who speak up about engines but get shot down by the current riders, saying things like “you can’t stop progress” but it isn’t progress , the sport is paying more to stand still or even go backwards, there could well of been a faulty batch of tyres yesterday but the tyre problem has been around for years but we plod on putting a plaster over gapping wounds, it breaks my heart what this sport has become and it has become unnecessarily 

Are there enough decent upright engines and bikes in this country to run a meeting with today's riders racing them? Would be a good experiment especially if a couple of tuners were involved and would be up for tuning 7 engines each ..... hmmmmm 

How about bringing in the rev limiters that were supposed to have been introduced, but setting them to 8 or 9000 revs.that would surely see the end of the offset short stroke engines?

5 minutes ago, castrolargh said:

How about bringing in the rev limiters that were supposed to have been introduced, but setting them to 8 or 9000 revs.that would surely see the end of the offset short stroke engines?

Rev Limiters has been mentioned in despatches for a number of years with riders , tv pundits etc all stating that this was a possible way forward for the sport in order to bring costs down. I believe Rory Schlein mentioned it on numerous occasions in Speedway Star but have never seen or heard of it being tested on any occasion 

58 minutes ago, Trees said:

That's good news, perhaps you and fellow ex riders are the ones to make lots of noise to help our sport survive?  Us fans don't really understand engines and what their characteristics are and what real difference they can make to racing, all fans do is not go anymore and that's no help to anyone .....

Last night was a prime example why fans don’t go anymore £20 for 10 heats - and there is other reasons British final farce Cardiff Gp track which should be a great advert for speedway  - 6 team Premier league - guest riders being used what seems in every meeting wasn’t it Birmingham a few weeks ago had just one of there own riders - then on top of that cost of living crisis which is rammed down our throats by main stream media then you wonder why fans have stopped going ? What is surprising how many still go 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Hackett said:

Rev Limiters has been mentioned in despatches for a number of years with riders , tv pundits etc all stating that this was a possible way forward for the sport in order to bring costs down. I believe Rory Schlein mentioned it on numerous occasions in Speedway Star but have never seen or heard of it being tested on any occasion 

We currently have Rev limiters in the sport set at 13,500 :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hackett said:

I was asked back in 2013 about rev limiters by the powers that be and for input as to what would be workable. I advised a limit of 11000 rpm would reduce costs significantly to the point where service intervals could be doubled at least. All this was taken on board and other views we’re sought (quite rightly)

then they come back with a limit if 13500 rpm for use going forward and that’s their current intention. The best laugh about it is that the bikes currently without rev limiters don’t rev that high under load  you couldn’t make it up  

the only people on the planet who benefit from limiters being set that high are engine tuners cos the stuff will still wear out in next to no time  go figure 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sully said:

If brand new tyres weren’t lasting 4 laps, what makes you think used tyres would?

thats something we will never know because the riders never got a chance to use them , hence many p  off fans  

will they be @ p,boro for the next meeting . l never mind next season , 

11 hours ago, Sully said:

If brand new tyres weren’t lasting 4 laps, what makes you think used tyres would?

lets wait and see .

Edited by jenga

6 hours ago, Lefty said:

No extra track grading, don't think Buster would be happy with that, you know how much he likes to get his toys out for a about a dozen laps or more.

Its heart breaking to see the mess the Sport has got itself in to, and the BSPL seem powerless or brainless to do anything about it, us as fans are indeed impotent to do anything about it but hope season after season the BSPL grasp the nettle but they seem as impotent as us fans , all I can say is the last one out turn the lights off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1