British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Swindon Stadium

38 minutes ago, a4poster said:

Oh dear that name again...sold Oxford down the river during the mid seventies and still talks "bo**ocks"

How does this guy get away with it ... one day he will upset the wrong people 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, orion said:

How does this guy get away with it ... one day he will upset the wrong people 

He was also involved with Bristol Speedway and what a debacle that ended up as...no planning permission to run speedway.

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

He was also involved with Bristol Speedway and what a debacle that ended up as...no planning permission to run speedway.

a lot more than that . Poole and Torquay next .

https://www.devonlive.com/news/local-news/torquay-united-chairman-says-still-7651025?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

I never knew that he was involved at Oxford but I do know he closed down Bristol, Milton Keynes, Reading, and now Swindon Speedway, every one of them their were promises of new Stadiums being built but we are still waiting for the first new build Stadium from this guy, Torquay fans need to be very careful when this guy becomes involved because he is full of Bullrubbish and false promises, I know he still has the lease at Poole Speedway but has closed the Greyhound side of things Iv no doubt he is playing a long game down there possibly hoping the Speedway closes then the Stadium becomes unviable, incidentally who does own Torquay Uniteds ground, is it the Council or one of this guys companies ?.

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

https://www.devonlive.com/news/local-news/torquay-united-chairman-says-still-7651025?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

I never knew that he was involved at Oxford but I do know he closed down Bristol, Milton Keynes, Reading, and now Swindon Speedway, every one of them their were promises of new Stadiums being built but we are still waiting for the first new build Stadium from this guy, Torquay fans need to be very careful when this guy becomes involved because he is full of Bullrubbish and false promises, I know he still has the lease at Poole Speedway but has closed the Greyhound side of things Iv no doubt he is playing a long game down there possibly hoping the Speedway closes then the Stadium becomes unviable, incidentally who does own Torquay Uniteds ground, is it the Council or one of this guys companies ?.

I believe that Torbay Council own the land on which Plainmoor is situated although GI are in discussions with them about buying the freehold.

A new stadium is promised at another location though so what could possibly go wrong?? :unsure:

It seems to have gone quiet about the Poole situation, but Poole stadium can't be viable on the Speedway income alone unless GI are happy with the income from the carpark which is used all week due to its town centre location, with the Speedway just satisfying the 'sporting use' clause of their lease with the council.

I must admit I don't fully understand the situation as it appears that the stadium site is earmarked for development as part of the council's local plan, but it's all a bit sketchy as to what that plan is. As soon as relocating the speedway is mentioned then we know it's all over for Poole as it won't happen.

2 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Yes it was during 1975 under the guise of "Bristol Stadiums Ltd (?)" when he "sold" the stadium to the council who were considering developing the site until the SOS Committee (which my uncle was a member) saved the site albeit the Divison One license was transferred to White City. Rather ironic now that the council wishes to retain the site as a leisure activity? Osbourne was never liked during his time at Cowley and no wonder.

Remember Osbourne once taking on Gordon Kennett in a race round the circuit in some "hot" cars and I recall Gordon crashing his?

On 9/29/2022 at 6:47 AM, Ray Stadia said:

How many 'we are looking for a new site' have we heard in the past, with nothing materialising? :(

New Cross are still looking for a new site - watch this space :D

• Haha 1

When Waterden Road and Hackney Speedway were swallowed up by the building of the 2012 Olympic Park, weren't they promised a new Stadium within the grounds once the Olympics were over.

30 minutes ago, rocket007 said:

When Waterden Road and Hackney Speedway were swallowed up by the building of the 2012 Olympic Park, weren't they promised a new Stadium within the grounds once the Olympics were over.

Was that a politician who made the promise?

11 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

New Cross are still looking for a new site - watch this space :D

I remember going to the site of the old stadium, around nineteen eighty something and I could still see some of the stadium pillars! They were buried, but visible, if that makes any sense! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rocket007 said:

No

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

I remember going to the site of the old stadium, around nineteen eighty something and I could still see some of the stadium pillars! They were buried, but visible, if that makes any sense! 

I visited some years ago and there wasn't much left but with a bit of imagination you could work out the shape of the track.

• Like 1

It's obviously sad news for both Swindon fans (cough!) and speedway in general. Unfortunately though, the outcome was totally predictable when you saw who was involved, and astonishing how anyone ever bought into the nonsense that's been spun over the last few years.

Sadly, the political makeup of the council (and surrounding councils) probably precludes much support for finding let along granting approval for a new stadium. That's one thing that saved Oxford Stadium from being built on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It's obviously sad news for both Swindon fans (cough!) 

I thought they had many more than two!!!

• Like 1