British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

17 minutes ago, TTT said:

Neither for two different reasons

KL - I wouldn't put another penny in Busters pocket, Even if Peterborough track shared at the AFA for a season.

LEI - The track isn't my cup of tea as IĀ find it to be boring tbh, Limited passing and slick most weeks (Just going by the meetings I've seen on BSN)

Same here.

If the Panthers do not run, I will be saving my money for trips to Poland to watch Artem Laguta in the Polish Ekstraliga.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BassoRacingFan said:

Same here.

If the Panthers do not run, I will be saving my money for trips to Poland to watch Artem Laguta in the Polish Ekstraliga.

When are you going to change your username to LagutaRacingFan ???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StarBoy said:

When are you going to change your username to LagutaRacingFan ???

On cue.:lol:

Edited by tellboy

4 hours ago, Shhalewhhale said:

C. Mildenhall.

Lynn and Leicester are awful tracks and Leicester is a massive PITA to get to due to the ring road.

Can't see more than a handful of Panthers fans making the trip to either regularly - it's as much about supporting the team than just going to Speedway because it's there.

It's speedway but not Premier League which is the service provided at the EoES so when AEPG try (as they already have allegedly although I don't believe that we've seen their evidence) to argue against LP30 L then Leicester and Kings Lynn are their only options.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

It's speedway but not Premier League which is the service provided at the EoES so when AEPG try (as they already have allegedly although I don't believe that we've seen their evidence) to argue against LP30 L then Leicester and Kings Lynn are their only options.

I see your point, but it's like asking a Tottenham fan to support Arsenal. Yes it's the same sport in the same league, but it's not "the same".

• Like 1

As an Eastbourne fan there is no other viable option geographically or logistically. So since the demise of speedway at Arlington the only meetings that the family has seen live is the British Final, SoNĀ and the British SGP.Ā  The children had gone to Arlington since being in a carry-cot now 113 + 17 they watch on tv but it is never quite the same. Nearest alternative is supporting the Brits in the SGP.Ā 

Certainly if a club was closer to home and at weekends we would make the effort but as Shhalewhhale states it's not the "same"Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Shhalewhhale said:

I see your point, but it's like asking a Tottenham fan to support Arsenal. Yes it's the same sport in the same league, but it's not "the same".

I agree, and have made that point in my objection.

Fans of sports teams do not just change their allegiance.Ā 

7 hours ago, Hackett said:

As an Eastbourne fan there is no other viable option geographically or logistically. So since the demise of speedway at Arlington the only meetings that the family has seen live is the British Final, SoNĀ and the British SGP.Ā  The children had gone to Arlington since being in a carry-cot now 113 + 17 they watch on tv but it is never quite the same. Nearest alternative is supporting the Brits in the SGP.Ā 

Certainly if a club was closer to home and at weekends we would make the effort but as Shhalewhhale states it's not the "same"Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

113? That must make you the oldest living human in history:D

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hackett said:

It's only an extra 4 miles each way for you, based on your location, to go to Iwade compared to going to Arlington. The Royals need all the support they can get, and they run on a Sunday lunchtime.

Ā 

Edited by Come on the Skipper

2 hours ago, StarBoy said:

113? That must make you the oldest living human in history:D

96 years between the 2 also, this guys got some skillsĀ ;)

• Haha 2

British Speedway is dying on it's arse anyway..How's the league going to look without us and Wolves!? if Peterborough are not involved I can see myself totally losing interest in the sport all together. I don't even bother watching the GP's live either as for me it's just not the same anymore.

Edited by chrismorton
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I can remember when Lynn closed for one season in 1996, we had grand plans to go to either the EoES or the Foxhole most weeks.....ended up doing both just once plus the Overseas Final at Coventry. It's not the same as your own club and the reality is most P'boro fans will drift away if they don't run next year.

I get that, however, nowadays a good many in attendance at tracks only "slightly bother" about the result (given the often "not really your team is there tonight" scenario), and are there mainly for the racing...

Therefore, if any sport can possibly make it happen it is Speedway I would suggest...

A team made up of the likes of R Lambert, Laguta, and Tarasenko for example would get plenty of "floating support" I would think, particularly on the nights that Emil, Woffy, Bewley, Doyle and the other GP riders turn up...

If the league was a "weak one" though then it almost definitely wouldn't attract too many to keep following the sport in person...

They would still watch on TV though and keep that interest in it...

13 hours ago, Shhalewhhale said:

As an Arsenal fan, I could never support Tottenham if Arsenal closed down, but would probably switch my allegiance to another club I don't mind (West Ham).

I supported Rye House exclusively, then in 1992 Arena-Essex became my second team as they were in a different league.

When Rye closed Arena became my main team, dropping to my second favourite when Rye came back.

What helped was my Dad was Speedway mad & would go to as many matches as possible. He was a Speedway fan first, but not many will be like that, but any extra fans from former clubs will help the current ones.

I had a friend who was an Edinburgh fan, he'd go to Berwick & Glasgow to cheer on the opposition, but that still brings in funds even if you don't gain a fan.

I guess a bigger issue now, is fans can get their Speedway fix online / on tv, especially if it's not your own club, 30 years ago that wasn't the case.

Edited by szkocjasid

Do you think the allegiance to certain clubs by supporters is impacted when you see the likes of Bomber (who I respect and admire) riding for every other club in the league ?

And yes I fully appreciate that they are self employed and need to earn a living.

• Like 1