British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

32 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I think it was Chapman who stepped in to save Peterborough a few years ago wasn't it?  Can't see why he'd want to dig his heels in no matter what was offered to him, he was prepared to sell before but had no written offers - ' put your money where your mouth is' comes to mind.  I agree though that this season it hasn't looked like he's been trying to extend or move elsewhere but I'm only on the very outskirts of this and have no knowledge of what's actually been going on.  Offer a fair price and that should result in a sale (future value increase clause included or not).

Not really..Ged's partner has already stated on here that they wouldn't have let us fold..and for me I hope Ged is involved in the take over as I liked the bloke and he loved the club...I think it was the BSPA mafia and their corruption that frustrated him and made him want to walk but I don't think he would have let us finish...he had more about him than the person who's led us up the garden path this season...

Edited by chrismorton
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

Just put in a sell on clause. If a new stadium materialises then further payment is due to Buster. Common in land sales where if planning permission is subsequently obtained by the new owner some of that increase in value is returned to the old owner.

This is correct, a deal now for the assets and rights to Peterborough speedway should be easy, negotiating an overage deal based on future happenings is much more difficult but certainly doable 

15 minutes ago, Pinny said:

I do wonder the logic behind that to be fair. It's a weird one. Was it actually Chapman paying for those riders?

I did always wonder why Laguta, of all riders, went to Peterborough? It made zero difference to their season and he's not exactly the type to draw in huge crowds either.

13 minutes ago, RogerM22 said:

I did always wonder why Laguta, of all riders, went to Peterborough? It made zero difference to their season and he's not exactly the type to draw in huge crowds either.

He was pissing Lynn about as well so its hard to imagine Chapman to continue paying for his services at another club of his? It must of been financed from someone else. 

28 minutes ago, Pinny said:

He was pissing Lynn about as well so its hard to imagine Chapman to continue paying for his services at another club of his? It must of been financed from someone else. 

After Buster took over at Lynn, i do wonder if Laguta missing some Lynn meetings  was a mutual thing? I know KC said the team was way over his budget when he took over, and no doubt would of re negotiated AL's contract that he had with Alex.

With PB i don't know TBH. Crowds were a lot better there.

Edited by Bald Bloke

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I think it was Chapman who stepped in to save Peterborough a few years ago wasn't it?  Can't see why he'd want to dig his heels in no matter what was offered to him, he was prepared to sell before but had no written offers - ' put your money where your mouth is' comes to mind.  I agree though that this season it hasn't looked like he's been trying to extend or move elsewhere but I'm only on the very outskirts of this and have no knowledge of what's actually been going on.  Offer a fair price and that should result in a sale (future value increase clause included or not).

Absolutely not. Peterborough Speedway would have raced on in the Championship in 2019 under Ged’s ownership if the sale of the Club to Keith Chapman hadn’t gone through. The Club was well run, profitable and successful and in no danger whatever.

• Like 5

I might be wrong, but didn't Buster buy it to save the Prem and TV deal at the time ?

I wonder why Ged sold a well run, profit making club? He must of had his reasons i guess.

• Haha 1

I wasn’t really following too closely back then but was the club really at a point where it was going to go under unless Buster stepped in? His disciples love to tell you he’s the reason Peterborough was running up until the end of this year or it would of stopped years ago, but surely someone else would of stepped in since we had a functioning club and most importantly somewhere to ride?

I thought their was a site earmarked just the other side of the A1, and had been since the start of the season? Or did I imagine all this? 

1 hour ago, RogerM22 said:

He was sublime after a first meeting shocker and if he continued with that application and performance then he certainly would have drawn in the crowds. So although it was too late and seemingly a bit pointless, apart from saving us from the wooden spoon, so not quite zero difference, I disagree with the last point.

All this nonsense about a  speedway club NAME having some notional  value  seems a load of tosh to me.  Why would Mr New Promoter  need to buy a name when he could apply to open up a new track that he had just built to the required standard nearby and call it  maybe Sawtry Stars Speedway Ltd. Why would you want to buy "Peterborough Panthers", or  Eastbourne Eagles or Rye House Rockets or Lakeside Hammers ????? They surely are worthless names?

There's all this tosh about having to have a promoters "licence " ....  just send Mr New Promoter an application form for a new "licence".

The asset value of a speedway business surely is limited to the value of the lights, airfence, tractors and grading equipment and some quantity of track material?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

All this nonsense about a  speedway club NAME having some notional  value  seems a load of tosh to me.  Why would Mr New Promoter  need to buy a name when he could apply to open up a new track that he had just built to the required standard nearby and call it  maybe Sawtry Stars Speedway Ltd. Why would you want to buy "Peterborough Panthers", or  Eastbourne Eagles or Rye House Rockets or Lakeside Hammers ????? They surely are worthless names?

There's all this tosh about having to have a promoters "licence " ....  just send Mr New Promoter an application form for a new "licence".

The asset value of a speedway business surely is limited to the value of the lights, airfence, tractors and grading equipment and some quantity of track material?

Yep, it not like those club names have forty or fifty plus years of history attached to them is it? :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

Or was he on the hook for X meetings? I can't imagine so but it makes no sense.

59 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

He was sublime after a first meeting shocker and if he continued with that application and performance then he certainly would have drawn in the crowds. So although it was too late and seemingly a bit pointless, apart from saving us from the wooden spoon, so not quite zero difference, I disagree with the last point.

Fair point. He's a top class rider and we don't have many of them here, so maybe he would've got people in, but he's not really someone you'd get overly excited about.