British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

The shale was in a pile outside the track and the fence looks knackered with holes in when I drove past today...feels sad driving by there now wondering if I will ever be going in again...

chapman will be waiting to see if consortium get any agreement with stadium owners that way the price would rise as sold as a going concern not just a sale of assets surely 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racerback said:

chapman will be waiting to see if consortium get any agreement with stadium owners that way the price would rise as sold as a going concern not just a sale of assets surely 

My thoughts exactly. 

3 hours ago, racerback said:

There's no reason whatsoever the consortium would buy assets unless there's some prospect of speedway somewhere in the next couple of years.

Presumably Chapman will allow them to make initial enquiries on behalf of Peterborough speedway to land owners without payment for the Rights/Licence with a detailed agreement in place if they find something 

On 10/31/2023 at 6:40 PM, Bald Bloke said:

If that's the case, it will come out in the end, no doubt.

Wouldn't put money on it. We're still waiting to know why this went ** up: " The only person who spoke to me about running the club, who I thought initially was going to be running it, was Michael Tomalin from City Auction Group, and he is the only person."

6 hours ago, racerback said:

AEPG don't want an agreement. They want speedway gone and the stadium/track flattened so that they are in total control of the space so that they can progress as they see fit. Bratley said that they'd already cancelled one planned meeting. I doubt that there's been another. Butterfield will just kick the can down the road to scupper 2024 and go from there.

As consortium spokesman Johnson said: “Before we can do anything, we have to see if we can agree a deal with Mr. Chapman to buy the rights to the Peterborough operating licence and until that happens it is difficult to move forward.

Chapman has played a blinder for AEPG all year and so it continues. Job just about done!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crump99 said:

AEPG don't want an agreement. They want speedway gone and the stadium/track flattened so that they are in total control of the space so that they can progress as they see fit. Bratley said that they'd already cancelled one planned meeting. I doubt that there's been another. Butterfield will just kick the can down the road to scupper 2024 and go from there.

As consortium spokesman Johnson said: “Before we can do anything, we have to see if we can agree a deal with Mr. Chapman to buy the rights to the Peterborough operating licence and until that happens it is difficult to move forward.

Chapman has played a blinder for AEPG all year and so it continues. Job just about done!

Butterfield is surely the key to everything, until he talks to the consortium or agrees to let speedway continue at the Showground their will be no way to move forward.

Chapman has nothing really to sell other than the right to stage speedway in Peterborough and with no venue at the moment it’s worth very little at this point. Buster has made it very clear he doesn’t want to continue at Peterborough past 2023 but even if he did Butterfield is blocking his path both to running speedway at the Showground and selling Peterborough Speedway as a going concern to the consortium.

On 11/2/2023 at 9:10 AM, bigcatdiary said:

Butterfield is surely the key to everything, until he talks to the consortium or agrees to let speedway continue at the Showground their will be no way to move forward.

Chapman has nothing really to sell other than the right to stage speedway in Peterborough and with no venue at the moment it’s worth very little at this point. Buster has made it very clear he doesn’t want to continue at Peterborough past 2023 but even if he did Butterfield is blocking his path both to running speedway at the Showground and selling Peterborough Speedway as a going concern to the consortium.

And Butterfield has never given any impression that he and his land promoters see a future for Peterborough Speedway at the EoES. As far as he and they are concerned it's job done. The messaging from Chapman has been negative from the start and he never (outwardly anyway) put up any fight to save the club or explain what changed from his 2022 message of a few more seasons at the EoES (unless he made that up of course?) to his capitulation of consistently singing the AEPG agenda. And to be fair, CJ had been similarly negative, up to his leaving, from the start (whether under duress or out of necessity I don't know). The supporters club came to the party too late: I've been amazed all year that they've been ticking along like it's business as usual with the sands of time running out for their club as each meeting passed. If only the Peterborough Needs Speedway flag had appeared at that pre-season rider introduction promo rather than at the EoES when time was almost up.

What Chapman has or hasn't got to sell and who is pulling whose strings I don't know. It can't be too difficult to make a sale on what he has or hasn't got and draw up a contract with clauses in for future eventualities?

It's a shame that the SCB/BSPA can't issue a new licence for say Alwalton Speedway so that the consortium can move forward. SCB/BSPA put in a strong objection to Butterfield and AEPG's planned destruction of Peterborough Speedway but they seemingly are happy to see one of their members take down one of their premium clubs, track and stadium to further weaken their struggling product?

Funny old sport innit.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

Michael Tomalin on Facebook.

A hugely busy period for the consortium with some updates coming very soon to confirm our objectives with the next phase of the Peterborough Panthers Speedway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

And Butterfield has never given any impression that he and his land promoters see a future for Peterborough Speedway at the EoES. As far as he and they are concerned it's job done. The messaging from Chapman has been negative from the start and he never (outwardly anyway) put up any fight to save the club or explain what changed from his 2022 message of a few more seasons at the EoES (unless he made that up of course?) to his capitulation of consistently singing the AEPG agenda. And to be fair, CJ had been similarly negative, up to his leaving, from the start (whether under duress or out of necessity not I don't know). The supporters club came to the party too late: I've been amazed all year that they've been ticking along like it's business as usual with the sands of time running out for their club as each meeting passed. If only the Peterborough Needs Speedway flag had appeared at that pre-season rider introduction promo rather than at the EoES when time was almost up.

What Chapman has or hasn't got to sell and who is pulling whose strings I don't know. It can't be too difficult to make a sale on what he has or hasn't got and draw up a contract with clauses in for future eventualities?

It's a shame that the SCB/BSPA can't issue a new licence for say Alwalton Speedway so that the consortium can move forward. SCB/BSPA put in a strong objection to Butterfield and AEPG's planned destruction of Peterborough Speedway but they seemingly are happy to see one of their members take down one of their premium clubs, track and stadium to further weaken their struggling product?

Funny old sport innit.

The recent application which the council turned down in respect of the DHL business must have come as a major shock to both Butterfield and DHL as it cuts off a major revenue stream, most of the people I know and myself thought he would get planning permission granted after following the meeting online.

As the council was minded to refuse that on the basis of local opinion and 150 objections despite approval from the city planning dept, it doesn’t look good for the next two housing applications which has major opposition from just about everyone as well as nearly two thousand online objections and being against the PCC local plans.

If I was Butterfield I would be a worried man because having already sunk a large investment into the application it’s now looking very unlikely he is going to get it home, he can bleat all he likes that speedway is finished at the Showground and is not viable but locally now that’s been showed up to my be bullshyte, so one would have thought it’s time to pull your horns in and come up with a compromise which benefits both AEPG and Peterborough Speedway.

1 hour ago, TTT said:

Michael Tomalin on Facebook.

A hugely busy period for the consortium with some updates coming very soon to confirm our objectives with the next phase of the Peterborough Panthers Speedway

One thing I've learnt in the past 12 months, ignore everything he says, often a crock of sh...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

The recent application which the council turned down in respect of the DHL business must have come as a major shock to both Butterfield and DHL as it cuts off a major revenue stream, most of the people I know and myself thought he would get planning permission granted after following the meeting online.

As the council was minded to refuse that on the basis of local opinion and 150 objections despite approval from the city planning dept, it doesn’t look good for the next two housing applications which has major opposition from just about everyone as well as nearly two thousand online objections and being against the PCC local plans.

If I was Butterfield I would be a worried man because having already sunk a large investment into the application it’s now looking very unlikely he is going to get it home, he can bleat all he likes that speedway is finished at the Showground and is not viable but locally now that’s been showed up to my be bullshyte, so one would have thought it’s time to pull your horns in and come up with a compromise which benefits both AEPG and Peterborough Speedway.

They lost a small battle that they should have won but it's really small beer compared to the EoES development. I wouldn't get too hung up on the number of objections. They'll have learnt from that meeting which isn't helpful to us.

Cllr Julie Stevenson@CllrJulieS Oct 17 - They picked up on AEPG's lack of consultation given there were so many objections. The showground masterplan is a very different beast to this. The number of comments isn't the significant metric. The number of PEOPLE who turn up to planning meetings is. That's my tip.

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

From evidence we have seen it looks like he has a very large loan to service so he is probably losing a lot of other people's money.  And with interest as high as it is, that loan gets a lot bigger the longer it is not fed.  Someone owns that loan and may be looking for some way to re-assess the risk profile somewhat.  Could be "interesting" if the money drought continues much longer.

• Like 1

Butterfield doesn’t realise it yet, the key to his development plans is held by the Speedway club. He will have to speak to the consortium at some point.

• Like 6

Sorry newbie here so I’m late to the party and may have missed this somewhere so the answer to this may be a simple one. If a sale from Chapman is proving difficult what’s stopping the consortium gaining a new licence and calling it “Peterborough Phoenix” and work from there getting back at Showground? If not what’s the obstacle and why?

Edited by 1stbender