British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

On 11/22/2023 at 12:09 PM, Sir Sidney said:

I'm a bit disappointed that the Council has allowed the DHL operation to continue whilst they discuss with AEPG / DHL variations to the planning application ( changing the entrance for transporters).

My understanding is that a revised retrospective application is going back to the Planning Committee in January, and that the public will have a chance to have another say before then. 

We will have to keep a regular check on the planning site, but I'm sure there will be as many resident objections as before, although maybe from a different set of residents. 

You are free to put a complaint in about this ( I have) the PCC need to grow a pair and take this company to task.

4 hours ago, TTT said:

I'll go to Ipswich for sure, I may even pop down to Leicester a couple of times too next season.

Never King's Lynn though, I don't have anything against KL fans, I don't have a problem with any of them, I just refuse to cave in to Buster's plan by doing all the things that he wants us Panthers fans to do.

Simple plan.

1. Work with AEPG in demolishing the Showground (Already started)

Mick Bratley, a person that all the fans on here seem to believe, and rightly so,  as one of the consortium, has said on here that Buster isn't to blame for taking the fence down, and other bits, and he explained why. Yet because he actually stood up for Buster, just on this one, i might ad, people don't seem to believe him this time?

2. Sign as many 2023 Panthers riders up for KL in 2024 in an attempt to reel Panthers die hards in (Already started)

2 riders, and maybe Paddy W, who only did a few meetings for you, that Buster bought in .In fact i think he bought Vadim over as well, after CJ bailed? Your team finished with the 2nd highest team average after Buster bought in the riders after CJ left. Who wouldn't want some in their team.. I'm sure Rob Lyon did..

3. The Panthers fans who do take the bait by attending the AFA on a regular basis will eventually become KL fans if Peterborough don't return within 12 Months.

I said on here maybe 200 ish, and was quickly told i was miles out. With 50 more likely.

4. Buster has his best financial season in recent memory due to him only paying for 7 riders instead of 14 as well as seeing attendances at KL sky rocket where the die hard Panthers fans turn up and compensate for all the KL fans that have walked away in recent memory.

Do you think we at Lynn hasn't suffered over the 5 years that he has been with you. Including finishing bottom, when he won you the league. And last season after CJ left, he bought riders in for you, and helped you dump his Lynn to bottom again.

5. Peterborough eventually die and Buster wins the game.

Peterborough had notice that this was the last season, which was always going to be his last!. It's a pity MT didn't back up his promises before the season started though. But no one mentions that, well only me, and  most still think he's the man.. At the moment, all i can see that Buster doesn't seem to have done much, if anything, is for the campaign.

If it comes out in the end, that it was never really for sale, and Buster took an envelope, then maybe some of you points will be valid, and i will be the first one to give him sh!t.

I guess you know id reply:) I know you are hurting, but just take time to read my replies. I know i'll get the usual laughing faces from the usual suspect Ricky..I'd happily buy you a pint, but can't see it happening next season.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

This stuff about signing P'boro riders to get Panthers fans to Lynn is a red herring IMO, they are riders who Buster, Dale & Rob have an affinity with already  having worked with them, and they were part of a team who finished the season strongly. Of course they would want to sign them again. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shhalewhhale said:

Was hoping to go to Mildenhall but things have scupered that. Probably go to Sheffield a few times, maybe Leicester for NDL.

I regret I only ever made it to Alwalton once, but from Sheffield it is about 90 minutes on a decent run.

5 hours ago, TTT said:

I'll go to Ipswich for sure, I may even pop down to Leicester a couple of times too next season.

4. Buster has his best financial season in recent memory due to him only paying for 7 riders instead of 14 as well as seeing attendances at KL sky rocket where the die hard Panthers fans turn up and compensate for all the KL fans that have walked away in recent memory.

The figues for the November 23 accounts for the season just finished have a deadline of Aug 2024 some time off yet!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

You are free to put a complaint in about this ( I have) the PCC need to grow a pair and take this company to task.

I'm not clear on the basis on which the Planning Committee decision has not been enacted.

My understanding is that AEPG are being allowed to modify its application and take it back to Planning Committee, rather than having to submit an appeal about the decision to refuse. 

25 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

I'm not clear on the basis on which the Planning Committee decision has not been enacted.

My understanding is that AEPG are being allowed to modify its application and take it back to Planning Committee, rather than having to submit an appeal about the decision to refuse. 

That option is available to anyone if they can reach an agreement with the planners to do so, alternatively they can withdraw and resubmit or appeal the original decision 

Buster doesn't want to put up any kind of fight for the club so this is what you do.

1. You agree a fixed price with the consortium and you hand the club over to them NOW! so the consortium can actually put up a fight against AEPG.

2. If the consortium thwarts AEPG and gets confirmation of a Showground return in 2025 then the sale can go through at the agreed price with Buster.

3. No Showground return......No sale

What you don't do is this.

1. Assist AEPG in demolishing the showground.

2. Don't bother voicing any support for those who are trying to fight for the club's future.

3. Stick the boot in by announcing Panthers riders / management signing for King's Lynn on a Save Peterborough Speedway Protest Day instead of covering the protest itself.

• Like 1

That idea is exactly what should happen albeit there would possibly need to be additional clauses inserted dealing with the possibility of the consortium starting at a new site within an agreed time frame 

In terms of your first point it's entirely plausible that he's given the consortium his price and they aren't prepared to pay it hence the impasse

10 hours ago, Rickyag said:

We definitely will not ever go to Kings Lynn again until Allitt and Chapman have gone. Would sooner drive past and go to another club now with Peterborough closed. 

Be more fun in the summer driving past and going to the coast.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

This stuff about signing P'boro riders to get Panthers fans to Lynn is a red herring IMO, they are riders who Buster, Dale & Rob have an affinity with already  having worked with them, and they were part of a team who finished the season strongly. Of course they would want to sign them again. 

The riders just want a job so nothing to see here. If Panthers had been running they'd have been at the EoES but someone offered them that job with some consistency and familiarity. Who wouldn't take it? Speedway politics of this nature doesn't take up much, if any, of their time.

The only villain here is Chapman who has allegedly taken down his more successful local rivals and plundered their riding assets etc. He's of course welcome to put his side and explain the efforts he made during 2023 to keep Panthers afloat for 2024 and why he's still clinging on to bugger all now. Sadly I think that there is more chance potentially of Ashley Butterfield appearing as VIP guest at the opening meeting at the Norfolk Arena.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

I regret I only ever made it to Alwalton once, but from Sheffield it is about 90 minutes on a decent run.

I'm from Sheffield originally and my parents still go there. Travelling up is not so easy as it used to be as the A1 is constantly busy nowadays, but yes, I can get back in a little over 90 minutes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shhalewhhale said:

I'm from Sheffield originally and my parents still go there. Travelling up is not so easy as it used to be as the A1 is constantly busy nowadays, but yes, I can get back in a little over 90 minutes.

I travel down the A1 every fortnight luckily the 40-50 zones seem to have all gone now! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, noaksey said:

That option is available to anyone if they can reach an agreement with the planners to do so, alternatively they can withdraw and resubmit or appeal the original decision 

Thanks for the clarification. I trust the resubmitted application will provide time for comments again. 

On 11/24/2023 at 2:47 PM, bigcatdiary said:

Bigcatdiary has spotted a document on the planning portal at PCC that all of us should have a quick read of (thanks for that).  It is the one dated 22 Novermber and is listed with all of the objections.  It brings their views out into the public following the meeting for the two planning applications that were turned down recently that should have curdled Butterfield's breakfast cereal.  Probably the most significant bit of it is an overall theme that the tactic of splitting the site into two parts was a monumental mistake.  Far from making the plans slip under the various portal doors, it has actually opened up the whole plan for what it is - an attempt to concrete the showground  in an attempt to make loads of money in exchange for replacing a major Peterborough asset with little more than a thumbnail of silly unnecessary money making pretend sporting venues, a few corner shops and an unnecessary hotel.  Clearly from this document, PCC planners, helped by local councillors lots of active locals and proper sports fans, have finally seen right through the whole charade.

The tenure of that 22 Nov report is that the Local Plan was designed and passed into law with the aim of possibly adding a few new houses (although it is clear here that there are enough already on the planners books anyway) and keeping the showground as a working and very positive asset for the local area.  The loss of all those events that Butterfield and his cronies actively killed off by stopping them booking the showground are highlighted in the report and it is very clear indeed that the PCC planners didn't buy all those sneaky tactics and saw them for what they were - a gigantic con trick.  (applause please!)

There is a section on LP36 that points out that the way the development has been planned does almost certainly not meet the requirements spelled out in LP36 to retain the character and use of the showground with either the two plans or a big single one.  It specifically identifies the loss of the speedway  in this part of their comments.

The section on LP30 is absolutely devastating.  It specifically says that AEPG should not have served notice on the club to take the safety infrastructure and lighting down to make the club non-viable.  This is a loud barbed reference to the fact that making the club vacate the site is the real reason for Peterborough Panthers not being able to complete in speedway next season.  It also highlights the objection by Sport England, so a second round of applause. please.

I would venture to suggest that this PCC document is an excellent repost to any idea that Butterfield thinks it would be a good idea to appeal to the SoS against the first stage of the application that was so comprehensively rejected.  A third and hopefully final round of applause please to all those who helped to highlight all of the flaws in this silly idea and let's make sure we keep our boots on their throats until the whole Butterfield gang are ejected southwards back down that lovely newly surfaced bit of the A1(M).  I really do hope they will see the error of their ways although I am sure they will keep bashing away so  we must keep our eyes peeled for the next chapter in this sorry saga.

Edited by OldNutter
minor bits
  • Like 6