British Speedway Forum
eric i

2023 GP line up/wildcards

I can't see why some are saying it's a boring selection. It was the only selection imo, unless they put more Poles in the line-up, & nobody wants half the field to be like that. No extra Brits, Swedes, Danes, Germans etc deserve to be at the top table right now. Anyone else (except Poles) would have weakened the series further. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

I can't see why some are saying it's a boring selection. It was the only selection imo, unless they put more Poles in the line-up, & nobody wants half the field to be like that. No extra Brits, Swedes, Danes, Germans etc deserve to be at the top table right now. Anyone else (except Poles) would have weakened the series further. 

I am one of those.  Unpredicability in sport excites me.  I'm bored of Woffinden vs Zmarlik or Lindgren vs Doyle etc. Seen it before and I couldn't really care less who wins in the 10s of races they have over the series. 

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I am one of those.  Unpredicability in sport excites me.  I'm bored of Woffinden vs Zmarlik or Lindgren vs Doyle etc. Seen it before and I couldn't really care less who wins in the 10s of races they have over the series. 

That sounds like you want riders who are clearly in the top batch in the world should step down purely because they have been at the top for a few years and still are. Perhaps the top 3 this year should not be in next years series, fed up with them winning.

2 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

That sounds like you want riders who are clearly in the top batch in the world should step down purely because they have been at the top for a few years and still are. Perhaps the top 3 this year should not be in next years series, fed up with them winning.

That's right; let's punish people for being successful! :t: Sounds like a good plan.:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

But Berntzon v Zmarzlik or Laguta v Kasprzak turned out not to be unpredictable in 2021. They met 44 times in the series and Bart and Artem won all 44 encounters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

But Berntzon v Zmarzlik or Laguta v Kasprzak turned out not to be unpredictable in 2021. They met 44 times in the series and Bart and Artem won all 44 encounters.

There's always evidence to prove a point but none of it sways my opinion.  Nowhere did I suggest the top three should not be in it, or have a go at anyone in particular, just that I find it boring to watch.  I could come back with something equally ridiculous like why not make it a 20 round series so you can see even more races between Janowski and Lindgren, or have every round from Torun, surely that'll be even better won't it?  I remember being excited when one of my past favourite riders made the 1991 world final and went to Gothenburg to watch - it went badly but he started with a chance.

I am not of the misconception that the GP series is about finding the best rider in the world that year - it isn't.  It's a competition for the selected riders based on the previous year with a heavy slant on selling tickets, to TV and getting nations to host.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

\It's a competition for the selected riders based on the previous year with a heavy slant on selling tickets, to TV and getting nations to host.

No it's not. The top riders QUALIFY for the following year's series by proving themselves against the world's top riders over a whole season. That is not "selection"...

The wildcards generally ensure that most of the world's best riders are involved.

Edited by chunky

7 minutes ago, chunky said:

No it's not. The top riders QUALIFY for the following year's series by proving themselves against the world's top riders over a whole season. That is not "selection"...

The wildcards generally ensure that most of the world's best riders are involved.

I could have left out 'the selected', my point still holds true, jeez you're confrontational!  It's also a matter of opinion who the worlds 'best' riders are in any particular year - and no, I won't respond if anyone comes back with YOU TELL ME WHO IS BETTER THEN ;)

26 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I could have left out 'the selected', my point still holds true, jeez you're confrontational!  It's also a matter of opinion who the worlds 'best' riders are in any particular year - and no, I won't respond if anyone comes back with YOU TELL ME WHO IS BETTER THEN ;)

Nothing confrontational about it! I'm just responding with my view; perhaps you'd rather people not do that?

• Like 2

Its time to change the sgp challenge system. If no reserves are allowed from countries who already have a grand prix rider involved then a chance to shine is taken away. Rasmus jensen being a prime example knowing he wont get the chance to cover for an injured rider this year. But its time to stop full time gp riders appearing in the challenge. If poland denmark etc give qualifying places to existing gp riders then that limits the chances for new riders to get into the full grand prix. If full time riders miss the top six there is always the fall back of five wild cards. Surely that is enough.

1 hour ago, longmeadow said:

Its time to change the sgp challenge system. If no reserves are allowed from countries who already have a grand prix rider involved then a chance to shine is taken away. Rasmus jensen being a prime example knowing he wont get the chance to cover for an injured rider this year. But its time to stop full time gp riders appearing in the challenge. If poland denmark etc give qualifying places to existing gp riders then that limits the chances for new riders to get into the full grand prix. If full time riders miss the top six there is always the fall back of five wild cards. Surely that is enough.

The exclusion of Jensen and Kubera from the reserve list does seem perverse. 

However I am content with the likes of Holder and Fricke competing in the challenge.These are exactly the sort of riders challenge contenders should be proving they can beat if they are to show they deserve a GB spot. Without them we just risk having more Berntzon, Cook and Kasprzak's squeezing in on the strength of one outstanding performance.

• Like 1

It is likely the first reserve may called up to cover injury for a GP or two, but highly unusual one, never mind two would get a full season in like this year. I hope the reason of 2022 never occurs again.                      

So, what the selectors have done this year is put a strong contender at the top, Lebedevs, and bounced around other nations whose riders have shown glimmer of hope during 2022 and give them a hope to cling on to. Fair do's in my mind.  Though I do admit Rasmus Jensen in my mind it must have been close....Jensen instead of Lebedevs would have been acceptable.

15 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

You won't respond because there isn't anyone better! :D

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

The exclusion of Jensen and Kubera from the reserve list does seem perverse. 

However I am content with the likes of Holder and Fricke competing in the challenge.These are exactly the sort of riders challenge contenders should be proving they can beat if they are to show they deserve a GB spot. Without them we just risk having more Berntzon, Cook and Kasprzak's squeezing in on the strength of one outstanding performance.

The reserve list is bizarre. I know why they've done it, but barely any, if any at all, deserve to be near a GP. Timi Salonen? Honestly?