British Speedway Forum
eric i

2023 GP line up/wildcards

On 9/23/2022 at 11:43 PM, phillipsr said:

Still think Laguta and Sayfutdinov will be back somehow 

Apparently Emil is going to retire as he's said he's enough money & also the PZM won't allow them still to ride. Of course this could all change. Even if they are allowed back into league racing they will be under the Polish flag so not so sure they will get back in as WC's for 2023 anyhow.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 11:43 PM, phillipsr said:

Still think Laguta and Sayfutdinov will be back somehow 

Apparently Emil is going to retire as he's said he's enough money & also the PZM won't allow them still to ride. Of course this could all change. Even if they are allowed back into league racing they will be under the Polish flag so not so sure they will get back in as WC's for 2023 anyhow.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:15 AM, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I think it should be top 3 qualify for next year then next 9 go into GP challenge day after last GP round with the 7 qualifiers for challenge, the GP need to be more cut throat, it’s becoming stale with too many riders just outside the title contenders in a comfort zone knowing they will get a wild card 

Not too sure about having a GP Challenge the day after the last GP.  Very possible either a rider in the 4-12 position in the GP series would either get injured in the GP so they couldn’t ride next day, or they couldn’t be bothered trying in the GP, saving themselves for the next day. Either way not good.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:49 AM, waiheke1 said:

As well as looking like he could win the SEC, he's also in the top 10 in the Ekstraliga averages. If he qualifies then he deserves his place and he'll be competitive next season, nowhere near top six, but he won't be last either. 

And he should have been in this year, but they went for those who finished behind him in the challenge. 

If Bewley finishes top 6, Fricke's 4th spot in the qualifier gets him in.

Pzedpelski out, Nilsson in is the only change I foresee unless the Russians are back.  Doyle & Thomsen in the most peril if that occurs 

Shame Kolodziej didn't qualify through SEC, may have got Janowski kicked out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Col said:

If Bewley finishes top 6, Fricke's 4th spot in the qualifier gets him in.

Pzedpelski out, Nilsson in is the only change I foresee unless the Russians are back.  Doyle & Thomsen in the most peril if that occurs 

Shame Kolodziej didn't qualify through SEC, may have got Janowski kicked out.

I agree with this, I hope the Russians are back because some will be annoyed if it is the same line up bar 1 rider.

My guess for 2023 would be

Top 6 from 2022                   
Nilson, Holder, Fricke.

Dudek,  Lambert,  Woffy        
Vaculik,  Michelson, 

then select one from from Doyle/Anders Thomsen/Lebedevs

series reserves.               
Thomsen and Lebedevs (assuming either is not in the 15).           
Rasmus Jensen.         
Kubera.         
Woryna  

so not much change from this year but I don’t see how Dudek, Lambert, Woffy can be overlooked.            
……………….               
apart from Dan and Robert being highly impressive this year, Jack Holder stood out. His points don’t show how well he did, IMO. He was up for mixing with the big names, and can only get better. I know he has qualified by his 3rd GP Challange place, but for next year if only one Aussie could ride in the series, my pick would be Jack. 

Edited by OveFundinFan

17 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

My guess for 2023 would be

Top 6 from 2022                   
Nilson, Holder, Fricke.

Dudek,  Lambert,  Woffy        
Vaculik,  Michelson, 

then select one from from Doyle/Anders Thomsen/Lebedevs

series reserves.               
Thomsen and Lebedevs (assuming either is not in the 15).           
Rasmus Jensen.         
Kubera.         
Woryna  

so not much change from this year but I don’t see how Dudek, Lambert, Woffy can be overlooked.            
……………….               
apart from Dan and Robert being highly impressive this year, Jack Holder stood out. His points don’t show how well he did, IMO. He was up for mixing with the big names, and can only get better. I know he has qualified by his 3rd GP Challange place, but for next year if only one Aussie could ride in the series, my pick would be Jack. 

Lambert is in the top six so won’t need a pick.

There are indeed six wildcards this time due to Madsen winning the Euros which will certainly help the likes of Doyle and maybe Thomsen.

Can only see Nilsson for Pzedpelski being the only change really.....

Top 6 - Zmarzlik Madsen Janowski Lindgren Lambert Bewley

SGP challenge - Nilsson Holder Fricke

Leaves 6 wildcards

Dudek (tied on points with Bewley)

Woffy (ex world champ)

Vaculik (2022 SGP winner)

Doyle (ex world champ)

Thomsen ( 2022 SGP winner)

Leaving 1 place "up for grabs" for either

Michelsen / Lebedevs / Laguta 

Kubera did himself no favours being poor in challenge 

Top 6

GP challenge

Dudek

Vaculik

Doyle

Woffinden

Michelsen

Then for the last one I think it's either getting a third dane in or a fourth Polish rider. Kubera, Thomsen, Rasmus Jensen, Kolodziej should all be considerd in my opinion. Of course this changes if russians are again allowed in but I read somewhere that the wildcards are announced tomorrow so they are problably not getting in.

Seems to be talk of a German rider getting one of the wild card picks.

39 minutes ago, screm said:

Seems to be talk of a German rider getting one of the wild card picks.

yes, indeed, if there are two SGP in Germany next year, it is rumored that either Huckenbeck or Smolinski would be given a permanent wildcard.

8 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

yes, indeed, if there are two SGP in Germany next year, it is rumored that either Huckenbeck or Smolinski would be given a permanent wildcard.

Think Smolinski was given aWildcard before he got injured ,so he might get another if he is fit.

Well, I'd rather give it to Kai Huckenbeck, who is probably the better option right now. Smoli will be 38 in December, a bit late to make a comeback in the SGP series. But there is also talk that Nicki Pedersen might get a wildcard in 2023 to stir up the GP series again. 

Edited by Bavarian