British Speedway Forum

Just now, lisa-colette said:

That's what Edinburgh had. But I wonder is a year long enough to relocate? Especially if you have to build a new track and stadium as well. How long did it take Workington? Although could always track share with Leicester if needed more than 12 months til new place was ready? 

A year is no where near long enough even if the promoters have the best intentions of finding a new site... Coventry & Peterborough were give several years notice that they were going to be evicted and didn't come up with any alternatives to ensure no break in participation. Cradley never found anywhere in the same area. From memory, I think there has only been Belle Vue that continued from one season to another in different venues.

As I've said elsewhere you can only hope that this is some kind of public negotiating exercise by the landlords as to offer a 4 year lease and then not sign it when it's returned begs a lot of questions as to what their motives are

• Like 1

Sorry to read this news Wolves fans. I hope you can find a new home.     I left Long Eaton area not long after the sport finished there, so have not driven past very often in the last 25 years, but happened to drive past last week and it still angers me to drive past the old car park entrance from Nottingham Road to see a bland housing estate and the street name of 'Circuit Drive' and 'Speedway Close' which feels like a slap in the face from the developers.    I hope you find a way to get back into your stadium or somewhere else locally.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

That's what Edinburgh have. But I wonder is a year long enough to relocate? Especially if you have to build a new track and stadium as well. How long did it take Workington? Although could always track share with Leicester if needed more than 12 months til new place was ready? 

It might not be but there's a balance to be struck in any negotiations, ask for too much and the idea might get no further than the circular filing system. 

18 months from now would seem a reasonable period for Wolves to progress the search etc 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 5:14 PM, iainb said:

Petition to sign here:

https://chng.it/dXKJYnjdnD

Just bumping this up, if you haven’t already signed please do so. We’re not going down without a fight, 4 pages in the Express and Star tonight. I know some of you detest Monmore Green but quite literally the future of top flight Speedway in this country depends on a positive outcome. Any more clubs fall by the wayside and it’s all over I’m afraid.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Just bumping this up, if you haven’t already signed please do so. We’re not going down without a fight, 4 pages in the Express and Star tonight. I know some of you detest Monmore Green but quite literally the future of top flight Speedway in this country depends on a positive outcome. Any more clubs fall by the wayside and it’s all over I’m afraid.

Signed. A lot of people enjoy having a pop at Monmore but now with this news reality kicks in, speedway cant afford to lose another club, these small technical tracks were always a big reason it used to be said in the past a rider needs to ride in the UK to be in with a chance of winning the world title. Times have changed machinery has changed but tracks like Monmore helps riders to hone different skills.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Over 15'000 votes and counting, just hoping you'll on here have signed

24 minutes ago, JOS50 said:

Over 15'000 votes and counting, just hoping you'll on here have signed

Imagine if tracks got 15,000 spectators... There would never be a question over the future of any club then... Obviously I know this ain't realistic, but it would be nice... Speedway DESPERATELY needs advertisement... Most people don't even realize it exists...

Incredible to think that Wolves' future is now in the balance. Speedway just isn't on the radar as regards the majority of the populace and has sadly declined to such an extent that it's survival is open to question.

There's a lot of talk these days in the horseracing fraternity about the proposed reorganisation of the sport. The buzz word being used is 'premierisation'.

Ring any bells?

# Entain

Just reading the Speedway Star coverage of the Wolves issue and truly cannot believe what I have just read as comments publicly attributed to as being made by the  Chairman of British Speedway, Rob Godfrey..

Referring to the decision to give Wolves Speedway a years notice by the owner of the stadium (Entain Group), he is quoted as saying..

"This stands out as a bizarre and ludicrous decision to end the tenancy of a well supported, successful, viable club which has a great history in Speedway dating back nearly 100 years"..

He then goes on to mention "fighting tooth and nail", and "forming an Action Group" to try and prevent Wolves from joining the many others that have gone over the past decade in particular...

Imagine being the CEO of Entain Group and seeing, publicly, the business decision you have made, (made presumably after going into the great detail and deliberation that these fundamental business decisions require) being described as "bizzare" and "ludicrous"?

How engaged would you feel to enter into any further negotiations with the person uttering such comments about your decision making process, and therefore, by inference, your own individual competence?

When you enter into negotiations with companies, you ensure you remain professional and cordial, and never, ever, be openly critical of their initial decision, particularly when you are coming from a position of weakness and they hold most of the cards needing to be played..

Best wishes to Wolves, but an approach to change their mind based on negatively questioning their decision wont end well believe me...

Let's hope whoever is doing the negotiations is a professional in dealing with such issues.. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Just reading the Speedway Star coverage of the Wolves issue and truly cannot believe what I have just read as comments publicly attributed to as being made by the  Chairman of British Speedway, Rob Godfrey..

Referring to the decision to give Wolves Speedway a years notice by the owner of the stadium (Entain Group), he is quoted as saying..

"This stands out as a bizarre and ludicrous decision to end the tenancy of a well supported, successful, viable club which has a great history in Speedway dating back nearly 100 years"..

He then goes on to mention "fighting tooth and nail", and "forming an Action Group" to try and prevent Wolves from joining the many others that have gone over the past decade in particular...

Imagine being the CEO of Entain Group and seeing, publicly, the business decision you have made, (made presumably after going into the great detail and deliberation that these fundamental business decisions require) being described as "bizzare" and "ludicrous"?

How engaged would you feel to enter into any further negotiations with the person uttering such comments about your decision making process, and therefore, by inference, your own individual competence?

When you enter into negotiations with companies, you ensure you remain professional and cordial, and never, ever, be openly critical of their initial decision, particularly when you are coming from a position of weakness and they hold most of the cards needing to be played..

Best wishes to Wolves, but an approach to change their mind based on negatively questioning their decision wont end well believe me...

Let's hope whoever is doing the negotiations is a professional in dealing with such issues.. 

I'm sure any negotiations will be done by CVS.

Any 'pressure' from any BSPL Action Group will surely be directed at the politicians (local and national) and organisations such as Sport England - with whom speedway now has some recognition - not withstanding the 15000+ fans who have signed the online petition so far.

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I'm sure any negotiations will be done by CVS.

Any 'pressure' from any BSPL Action Group will surely be directed at the politicians (local and national) and organisations such as Sport England - with whom speedway now has some recognition - not withstanding the 15000+ fans who have signed the online petition so far.

Yes it has to be. Hopefully we will hear from CVS in due course. 

Main headline story tonight on BBC Midlands Today about Wolves.CVS interviewed about building a new track and saying he's had some encouraging talks saying originally he thought it would never happen but now optimistic it will saying he's got his enthusiasm back after being knocked down after last weeks news.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

Main headline story tonight on BBC Midlands Today about Wolves.CVS interviewed about building a new track and saying he's had some encouraging talks saying originally he thought it would never happen but now optimistic it will saying he's got his enthusiasm back after being knocked down after last weeks news.

Unfortunately I am of the pessimistic viewpoint. We have seen the struggles of Cradley to get a new track over decades. Whilst Wolverhampton Council may be sympathetic, I can't think of a site in Wolverhampton which would not raise objections from residents either relating to noise and/or traffic congestion. And they would be in their rights to do so.There are some houses near to Monmore Green, but I think there is a law which says you can't complain about a nuisance if it was already there and you move next to it. I wouldn't think that there are many residents locally who were there in 1928 !

• Like 1

All councils and politicians will be proactive with local elections coming up.

At one time there was talk of the wholesale market at the back of the stadium being relocated. Is that area an option?