British Speedway Forum
OdsalBoy

Sheffield Tigers 2023

Personally I think Ben Cook will be your No.6

40 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Will Mountain still qualify as a rising star?

38 minutes ago, TTT said:

Should do.

Only one from last year who should be classed as a RS is Tom Brennan considering he's an established HL in the Championship as well as a Premiership 2nd string.

But Mountain will be 26 years old next year and has been riding continually since 2014, Brennan is 4 years younger.  In my opinion neither should be on the RS list, if Mountain is you could make a case for Dan Bewley being on it as he is two years younger.  Riders can't be rising stars permanently.

• Like 2

Don't remember all the criteria for a rising star, but think being under 25 at start of season could be one of them.

Brennan could have too high average to qualify.

29 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Can a team have two rising stars?

I believe you can have more than one from the rising star list, but only class one as your rising star. The other (s) just get included in the team, using their average.

7 minutes ago, RS50 said:

I believe you can have more than one from the rising star list, but only class one as your rising star. The other (s) just get included in the team, using their average.

That's fair enough and makes sense. Guessing Connor mountains average would be around 4.40 with British reduction? 

I think we can guess the top 5 pretty easily. But the last 2 are where its gonna be interesting. Seems a lot of talk that Kerr won't be back, Mountain seems nailed on for leciester and I'd be surprised if we brought back Sedgmen really.

Berge would be the dream get. Excellent round Owlerton and garnered plenty of experience in Poland now, he should make a mockery of his average.

The other option would be one of the Cook brothers at Poole. But realistically could either hold their own as a number 6 in the top league?

Another could be looking at someone like Knudsen at Berwick. Impressed in his short stint and looks to be one of the better Danes but he does have a lot of other commitments on the continent.

Then it's now the spanner of the rising star. Mountain won't be eligible and Dan Thompson will be back at Leicester I'd imagine so we'll be looking at someone new. For me out of the list, Flint would be the stand out and could see him absolutely thriving round Owlerton but I cant see Wolves letting him go. Its a question of looking at what's left, Rowe will be at Ipswich, Jenkins will be at Peterborough, Gilkes or Bailey to Belle Vue.

The best of the rest  with reluctancy, would be Kemp. Feel as a rider he just isn't suited to our track and backs out of battles. But beggars can't be chooser

What average would Berge come in on?

would rather see Kerr in the team over Howarth even if we come way under the points limit

26 minutes ago, RideHard said:

would rather see Kerr in the team over Howarth even if we come way under the points limit

26 minutes ago, RideHard said:

Howarth seemed to ride well early season then fade later on and was fairly awful in the playoffs. 

J.Holder, T.Musielak, D.Bellego is a very good start to team building, rumors' of one of the Cook brothers at reserve, D.Berge and Dan Gilkes also excite me.

Does anyone think any more signings will be announced again soon? Are the promotion wanting to wrap up team building relatively quickly? Seem to remember last December the entire team was announced in one go, whereas this time the signings were being announced before the end of the season...

Exciting times

Very good signing in Bellego, Sheffield will have as strong a top two as there will in the Premiership next season.

4 hours ago, spin king junior said:

I think we can guess the top 5 pretty easily. But the last 2 are where its gonna be interesting. Seems a lot of talk that Kerr won't be back, Mountain seems nailed on for leciester and I'd be surprised if we brought back Sedgmen really.

Berge would be the dream get. Excellent round Owlerton and garnered plenty of experience in Poland now, he should make a mockery of his average.

The other option would be one of the Cook brothers at Poole. But realistically could either hold their own as a number 6 in the top league?

Another could be looking at someone like Knudsen at Berwick. Impressed in his short stint and looks to be one of the better Danes but he does have a lot of other commitments on the continent.

Then it's now the spanner of the rising star. Mountain won't be eligible and Dan Thompson will be back at Leicester I'd imagine so we'll be looking at someone new. For me out of the list, Flint would be the stand out and could see him absolutely thriving round Owlerton but I cant see Wolves letting him go. Its a question of looking at what's left, Rowe will be at Ipswich, Jenkins will be at Peterborough, Gilkes or Bailey to Belle Vue.

The best of the rest  with reluctancy, would be Kemp. Feel as a rider he just isn't suited to our track and backs out of battles. But beggars can't be chooser

Ben definitely can imo. Fast learner as well. Zach should do okay as well but maybe need more time to settle in. But I definitely think Ben is ready for the Prem.

9 hours ago, spin king junior said:

Flint may not be eligible as a RS now he has a 7+ Champ ave

How about?

Sheffield  
Jack Holder 8.61
Tobiasz Musielak 7.91
Chris Holder 7.16
David Bellego 5.80
Craig Cook 4.92
Lewis Kerr 4.59
Dan Gilkes RS
Total 38.99

So looking at the riders already signed, I reckon the next two riders available will be Kyle Howarth and Adam Ellis.

That should leave us around 4:88 for the 6th rider.

Sounding like Lewis Kerr won't be available, so possible targets who would fit the bill.

Paul Starke

Jake Allen

Stefan Nielsen

Ben Cook

Zach Cook

Kye Thomsen

Connor Mountain

Dimitri Berge

Ben Barker

Personally my choice would be Ben Cook or Dimitri Berge.

The Rising Star riders realistic possible targets

Connor Bailey (If Tom Brennan is given a Rising Star Place) 

Jack Thomas

Drew Kemp

Jason Edwards

Dan Gilkes

Joe Thompson

Jordan Jenkins

For me either Dan Gilkes or Connor Bailey would be my choice.