British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Poole Vs Glasgow 28/09/22 play off SF 1st leg

3 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Captain's shouldn't be picked just ability, experience should be taken in to account. Danny King has bundles of both 

Doesn't always make them a good captain though.

3 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Captain's shouldn't be picked just ability, experience should be taken in to account. Danny King has bundles of both 

It’s such an important job that you could ask half the riders in the Leagues who the Team Captain is and they probably would know.

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

One thing to note. The swap deal between Poole and Glasgow for Lawson and Basso certainly came out on the Pirates side. Not for last nights score, but for overall value. 

There is no doubt that Basso will be a top rider with a high chance of a GP career. But he could well be gone next season from the Championship, while Richard Lawson has at least three more season in him before his career ends. 

You haven't been at Ashfield and been royally entertained by Benjamin Basso each week.

Richard hasn't ridden for Glasgow since 2017 and is now southern based so wasn't going to ride for the club, all they were going to get were loan fees.

Basso signing for Bydgoszcz in 2023 might mean he will not be back at Glasgow next season but Premiership club will still want him so Glasgow could get loan fees for years and years.

8 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

You haven't been at Ashfield and been royally entertained by Benjamin Basso each week.

Exactly. I'll take getting smashed in the playoff semi finals and watching a madman leaving me with my jaw on the floor with ridiculous moves, over winning the league, every time.

Excitement is far more important than winning for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Richard hasn't ridden for Glasgow since 2017 and is now southern based so wasn't going to ride for the club, all they were going to get were loan fees.

Basso signing for Bydgoszcz in 2023 might mean he will not be back at Glasgow next season but Premiership club will still want him so Glasgow could get loan fees for years and years.

I thought Peterborough own Basso now? 

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I thought Peterborough own Basso now? 

No still our asset not that this outdated model means a lot in the grand scheme off things.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, foreverblue said:

The track was excellent last night and produced good racing and lots of passing, the trouble some have is that we were doing all the passing! Even Ablitt pulled off a great pass and defended it well.

Always a few comments about Poole track being a gate and go with no passing but watched " Elite " league play off last night and almost no passing pretty much gate and go.As for Poole's demolition of Glasgow you have to say the Ford's always build good teams yes we've been lucky with no injuries but when it matters the team deliver.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Essex said:

Always a few comments about Poole track being a gate and go with no passing but watched " Elite " league play off last night and almost no passing pretty much gate and go.As for Poole's demolition of Glasgow you have to say the Ford's always build good teams yes we've been lucky with no injuries but when it matters the team deliver.

More often than not they always get it right and you have too give them credit for that.

• Like 4

I've got more chance of copping off with Jennifer Lawrence than Glasgow have of pulling back this tie from 30 points down but why are some Tigers so different away from home as they are away (such as Connor Bailey and Benjamin Basso) there's a huge drop off with their performances on other tracks. I was expecting Ben at least to put up some good numbers at Poole last night as he was racing around Wimborne Road last season but he looked average compared to how he looks around Ashfield. You simply cannot build winning teams around riders who don't turn up to away meetings. 

19 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

I've got more chance of copping off with Jennifer Lawrence than Glasgow have of pulling back this tie from 30 points down but why are some Tigers so different away from home as they are away (such as Connor Bailey and Benjamin Basso) there's a huge drop off with their performances on other tracks. I was expecting Ben at least to put up some good numbers at Poole last night as he was racing around Wimborne Road last season but he looked average compared to how he looks around Ashfield. You simply cannot build winning teams around riders who don't turn up to away meetings. 

You have to remember he was only at Poole for half a season though. 

41 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

Can’t agree about Basso’s away performance. Hasn’t been THAT bad in the CL meetings he competed in…..11+2 (5)  9+2 (4)  6+2 (4)  8 (5)  5+3 (4)  5+1 (4)  9 (5) 

39 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Can’t agree about Basso’s away performance. Hasn’t been THAT bad in the CL meetings he competed in…..11+2 (5)  9+2 (4)  6+2 (4)  8 (5)  5+3 (4)  5+1 (4)  9 (5) 

That’s decent like you say,you have to remember he wasn’t aHeat Leader at the start of the season (don’t think so,maybe wrong).Now No1.

39 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

That’s decent like you say,you have to remember he wasn’t aHeat Leader at the start of the season (don’t think so,maybe wrong).Now No1.

Think he was second string as still on his assessed 5 point average. 

Edited by lisa-colette

3 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

I never said he was 'THAT bad' just average at many away tracks and certainly didn't look like a No. 1 although he's a very good rider, he's young so his best days are ahead of him and he's very entertaining. 

• Like 1