British Speedway Forum
Argos

Peter Collins Book

32 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...which opened the doors to so many bland channels and in the area that I now live a sometimes questionable reception with the picture breaking up!

Digital television is great until it isn't.

Bruce Springsteen of course sang '57 channels and nothing on' over 30 years ago and I'm sure at the time having that number of channels was almost incomprehensible to those of us living in the UK . But it turned to be an under-estimation as there's now hundreds of channels of crap...

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:14 AM, Gordon Pairman said:

I’m sure you are aware of what happened at last night’s signing in Glossop and have taken steps to ensure that the affected supporter has been compensated

I have kept quiet on this for a very long time in the hope that there would at least be an acknowledgement of the wrong that occurred that night. 
For those that want more, please see my comments on the thread entitled Steve Casey RIP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

I have kept quiet on this for a very long time in the hope that there would at least be an acknowledgement of the wrong that occurred that night. 
For those that want more, please see my comments on the thread entitled Steve Casey RIP

Many thanks for putting the record straight.

4 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

Firstly to say that we at Retro Speedway are naturally sincerely saddened by the news of Steve's death. In my experience he was a very amiable, decent bloke. He was clearly devoted to Belle Vue, had a keen sense of Aces' history, and was a natural enthusiast for speedway as a whole.

With respect, Gordon, and I fully appreciate you are feeling very sad and upset right now, the acknowledgement you hoped for WAS addressed by Retro Speedway - PRIVATELY - with Steve direct. An online forum is not the best way to handle such personal matters. I believe Steve thought so too.

Possibly unknown to you, Susie and I both communicated personally with Steve, separately, over the book signing matter. Understanding the possible upset caused, we offered to try and resolve things to his satisfaction. He appreciated our sympathetic words.

As you rightly point out on the other thread, Steve did read the book and said he enjoyed it. In fact, on Nov 23 he sent me an unsolicited text saying: "Hiya Tony...just finished the PC book and really enjoyed it...was a great read with some fabulous memories and insights (accompanied by four 'thumbs up' emojis)." I obviously thanked him for his kind comments.

Earlier this month, he phoned me to say how grateful he was to unexpectedly receive our new DVD, Defunct British Speedway Tracks 2, which we sent him as a goodwill gesture, to hopefully lift his spirits after another spell in hospital, and because he actually features on it in the BV Kirky Kane segment.

I hope this serves as the public 'acknowledgement' you expected and that those reading these posts gather a true picture of Retro Speedway's part.

RIP, Steve.

Edited by TonyMac
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, TonyMac said:

Firstly to say that we at Retro Speedway are naturally sincerely saddened by the news of Steve's death. In my experience he was a very amiable, decent bloke. He was clearly devoted to Belle Vue, had a keen sense of Aces' history, and was a natural enthusiast for speedway as a whole.

With respect, Gordon, and I fully appreciate you are feeling very sad and upset right now, the acknowledgement you hoped for WAS addressed by Retro Speedway - PRIVATELY - with Steve direct. An online forum is not the best way to handle such personal matters. I believe Steve thought so too.

Possibly unknown to you, Susie and I both communicated personally with Steve, separately, over the book signing matter. Understanding the possible upset caused, we offered to try and resolve things to his satisfaction. He appreciated our sympathetic words.

As you rightly point out on the other thread, Steve did read the book and said he enjoyed it. In fact, on Nov 23 he sent me an unsolicited text saying: "Hiya Tony...just finished the PC book and really enjoyed it...was a great read with some fabulous memories and insights (accompanied by four 'thumbs up' emojis). I obviously thanked him for his kind comments.

Earlier this month, he phoned me to say how grateful he was to unexpectedly receive our new DVD, Defunct British Speedway Tracks 2, which we sent him as a goodwill gesture, to hopefully lift his spirits after another spell in hospital, and because he actually features on it in the BV Kirky Kane segment.

I hope this serves as the public 'acknowledgement' you expected and that those reading these posts gather a true picture of Retro Speedway's part.

RIP, Steve.

Well Done Tony...

RIP Steve, Belle Vue will be a much poorer place for his passing...

Condolences to his family and friends...

30 minutes ago, TonyMac said:

As you rightly point out on the other thread, Steve did read the book and said he enjoyed it. In fact, on Nov 23 he sent me an unsolicited text saying: "Hiya Tony...just finished the PC book and really enjoyed it...was a great read with some fabulous memories and insights (accompanied by four 'thumbs up' emojis). I obviously thanked him for his kind comments.

RIP, Steve.

Thanks Tony. And I appreciated then and am happy now to acknowledge your gestures. You were, of course, as much an innocent party to what happened as was Steve but I did and do believe that what happened needed to be made public. The one man who should have apologised has remained silent.

As I have said elsewhere, PC’s behaviour was unforgivable and I am not alone being shocked and disgusted by it. I know he’s got a huge chip on his shoulder about the NSS, but you don’t take your bile out on one of the guys who has worked flat out to achieve a reconciliation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:42 PM, Gordon Pairman said:

Thanks Tony. And I appreciated then and am happy now to acknowledge your gestures. You were, of course, as much an innocent party to what happened as was Steve but I did and do believe that what happened needed to be made public. The one man who should have apologised has remained silent.

As I have said elsewhere, PC’s behaviour was unforgivable and I am not alone being shocked and disgusted by it. I know he’s got a huge chip on his shoulder about the NSS, but you don’t take your bile out on one of the guys who has worked flat out to achieve a reconciliation. 

Very disappointed regarding PC’s behaviour ,stooping very low writing such a thing  and more so considering the man’s health condition.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:42 PM, Gordon Pairman said:

I’m astonished, what PC did was disgraceful and he has gone from hero to zero. 

• Like 3

For some reason PC has never remained a favourite of mine. Always felt he wasn’t a people person. Always some connection missing, but this was in my younger days. After what he wrote in Steve’s book I feel proved correct. A very bitter man. 

Currently making my way thru the book and very much enjoying it. Can't help feel there's an undertone of bitterness in there tho. Very disappointed with the book signing comment but normally two sides to every story. Uncalled for tho

• Like 1

One of Englands best ever riders, very exciting and box office material in the 1970's!

I mean to get round to reading his book at some point cause it sounds good!

But the man has got some serious issues and is surely pushing everyone away from him. I remember seeing him in the pits with his son Chris when the boy had a go at speedway and recall being taken aback by how grumpy he sounded when talking to him.  I assumed this to be frustration at his sons limitations from a former World Champion who found speedway easy, but now I'm not so sure. 

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:04 PM, TonyMac said:

Susie and I both communicated personally with Steve, separately, over the book signing matter. Understanding the possible upset caused, we offered to try and resolve things to his satisfaction. He appreciated our sympathetic words.

Earlier this month, he phoned me to say how grateful he was to unexpectedly receive our new DVD, Defunct British Speedway Tracks 2, which we sent him as a goodwill gesture, to hopefully lift his spirits after another spell in hospital, and because he actually features on it in the BV Kirky Lane segment.

NIce to see that Collins' publicists at Retro Speedway made this kind gesture to Mr Casey.   Obviously Retro Speedway were innocent victims in this shameful episode, and their gesture is to be commended.  No blame can be attached to them.   I'm sure they will have been mightily embarrassed by their client's actions, and as shocked by his callous act as the rest of the Speedway world is.

Having seen the photograph of the actual "message" which is currently doing the rounds all over Facebook, it seems even worse than described here.    There seems a real spiteful venom in his bitter, angrily scrawled diatribe.  

However it seems there still has been no apology to the Casey family from the one person who needs to make a full and immediate apology.  

Collins says he doesn't do Facebook and other social media, and that may be best for him at the moment.  At least he won't see how many ex-fans of his are disgusted by him and have disowned him.    On the other side of the coin, his ignorance of current public feelings will probably mean he doesn't realise how much an apology is needed.  Perhaps his publicists will be able to advise him of how badly he has tarnished his reputation.

Finally a question for his publishers.   Is there a mechanism in place where people who have bought Collins' book can return it for a refund in view of the recent ugly events?  

• Like 1

I guess the only real surprise is that anyone is surprised that PC has a massive chip on his shoulder.

Very sad but no shock that he was so unkind to Steve Casey. As the old saying goes 'never meet your heroes' - I am sure he wouldn't remotely feel he has anything to apologise for.

All very sad that PC has undone his massive reputation and all that he achieved.