British Speedway Forum
Argos

Peter Collins Book

3 hours ago, BL65 said:

David Vine also presented 'The Sports Scene' on BBC2 on Saturdays at around 10.00 p.m. during June, July and early August in 1966.  The 35-minute programme reported on the day's sports stories and gave the evening's speedway results.   It replaced Match of the Day during the summer but was dropped when the new football season started.

...did he present a football based quiz on BBC (can't recall the name) or was that someone else? If I recall you moved a ball around a board with each right answer?

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...did he present a football based quiz on BBC (can't recall the name) or was that someone else? If I recall you moved a ball around a board with each right answer?

Quiz Ball?

4 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Quiz Ball?

Ah, I'm so glad you mentioned that! I almost did earlier! Yeah, I loved watching that...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Quiz Ball?

Great...that was it!

• Like 1

As a Wolves fan it hurts me to recall that John Osborne, the West Bromwich goalie was very good at Quiz Ball. :(

Edited by Lefty
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

One book I've not read...must look it out!

It really is a good read. Although difficult to get hold of now due to being sold out. Which increases the price considerably. I don’t mind posting my copy to you then return when finished. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hodgy said:

It really is a good read. Although difficult to get hold of now due to being sold out. Which increases the price considerably. I don’t mind posting my copy to you then return when finished. 

That's kind of you thank you very much...I'll check first to see if one is available.

13 hours ago, steve roberts said:

That's kind of you thank you very much...I'll check first to see if one is available.

13 hours ago, steve roberts said:

There is a copy on eBay but not in great condition. Currently bidding at £20 with 3 days to go. Others available for £50. Or you can bid for a signed copy starting at £140. Amazon are out of stock. The last time I looked the used book was valued at +£100. The offer is there if you need it, it is a great read. You sound very much like a trusting guy. Also you’ve told us where you work :-)

1 hour ago, Hodgy said:

There is a copy on eBay but not in great condition. Currently bidding at £20 with 3 days to go. Others available for £50. Or you can bid for a signed copy starting at £140. Amazon are out of stock. The last time I looked the used book was valued at +£100. The offer is there if you need it, it is a great read. You sound very much like a trusting guy. Also you’ve told us where you work :-)

I'll check out the ebay biding but may get back to you!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'll check out the ebay biding but may get back to you!

I've placed a bid...I'll wait and see what comes of it?

50 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Okay no problems. My copy is available if needed. It will still be in the same drawer for a long time so won’t miss it. I’m still on Kelly Moran’s book. M Lee’s was a good read but I think we all knew most of the content. 
Little tip on eBay. I wouldn’t place a bid with 3 days to go, it often ends up just pushing the price up. Leave it to the last 30 mins of the closing day.  Good luck. 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2023 at 10:21 AM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I understand John Berry potentially had something in hand for a Billy Sanders publication that could've thrown a previously unseen light on the tragic events

Ultimately I believe he decided that his love and respect for Billy and his family was worth more than publishing what would've been an undoubtedly popular offering

about his potential to being the father of a rider killed in action?

Just now, stevehone said:

about his potential to being the father of a rider killed in action?

...that's a new one on me? I guess it's a sensitive issue to make it public.

28 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Okay no problems. My copy is available if needed. It will still be in the same drawer for a long time so won’t miss it. I’m still on Kelly Moran’s book. M Lee’s was a good read but I think we all knew most of the content. 
Little tip on eBay. I wouldn’t place a bid with 3 days to go, it often ends up just pushing the price up. Leave it to the last 30 mins of the closing day.  Good luck. 

I'll let you know and thanks again...good luck with the Kelly Moran book. As I've said previously having read the book I took a different view on him. John Berry's second book made a reference to my responding to his revealing insight regarding Billy Sanders receiving money to throw a race.

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

One on Amazon for £4.22 plus postage.