British Speedway Forum

Looking at the old programs it would seem that Kalina was a Czech international who rode in three home meetings at Foxhall, The Billy Sanders Memorial Trophy on the 21st March 1991 when he scored just the one point, the meeting against Kings Lynn on the Good Friday when he scored 7 and on the 4th April when he again just scored one. I think he fell in his second race and took no further part. I guess he also rode for the Witches in a few away meetings.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Mau said:

Looking at the old programs it would seem that Kalina was a Czech international who rode in three home meetings at Foxhall, The Billy Sanders Memorial Trophy on the 21st March 1991 when he scored just the one point, the meeting against Kings Lynn on the Good Friday when he scored 7 and on the 4th April when he again just scored one. I think he fell in his second race and took no further part. I guess he also rode for the Witches in a few away meetings.

Knew someone would come up with proof that he rode, i didn't think he rode many meetings:t:

On 1/19/2023 at 7:09 PM, kevin bass said:

Ben Howe was a bit like Kemp and had plenty of talent but not always the right attitude and didn't have tip top machinery, me and a few mates used to sponsor him when he first got a place in the team, i remember at the time when a big thing was made of him being made a Jawa works rider, the kit he actually got was second hand most of it and not worth having.

Always liked Ben, great to watch.  Two other moments I will always remember were firstly, at Peterborough, when he gated just ahead of Ronni Pedersen and didn't leave him any room and RP went into the fence (this was just after Ronni had wiped out Jeremy Doncaster on the second bend) and secondly, whilst waiting to go out in the second half, I was told by the machine examiner I now needed a cover over the gap below the engine guard and bottom of the engine and Ben stepped up to help me out. Good times.  Wonder what he's doing now?

Edited by SPEEDY69

18 hours ago, kevin bass said:

Sure it was Kalina but he didn't last long in the team, haps he only rode in a few challenge matches and no actual league matches b4 being replaced.

Definitely him, so maybe “only” Gold Cup matches … and I had no recollection that he then rode at Hackney!  They only managed a handful of League matches before folding.

Edit: just saw Mau’s reply - thanks for the confirmation :)

Edited by Roger Jacobs

15 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Always liked Ben, great to watch.  Two other moments I will always remember were firstly, at Peterborough, when he gated just ahead of Ronni Pedersen and didn't leave him any room and RP went into the fence (this was just after Ronni had wiped out Jeremy Doncaster on the second bend) and secondly, whilst waiting to go out in the second half, I was told by the machine examiner I now needed a cover over the gap below the engine guard and bottom of the engine and Ben stepped up to help me out. Good times.  Wonder what he's doing now?

Yeah stuffed RP in the fence on purpose. What a legend………

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Ronni was just as dirty as his brother at times tbf, i'll always remember when Cradley came up to Foxhall and Ben faced Hancock and Hamill, he was never a gater but managed to jump out ahead of to 2 Yanks and held them off even with a misfiring motor, ive not seen or heard anything about him for yrs, he must be in his late 40's now.

• Like 1

Ben had half a season at Hull 1999, as said not the best gater but was an all-action, leg traling, ever-trying rider :D....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kevin bass said:

Ronni was just as dirty as his brother at times tbf, i'll always remember when Cradley came up to Foxhall and Ben faced Hancock and Hamill, he was never a gater but managed to jump out ahead of to 2 Yanks and held them off even with a misfiring motor, ive not seen or heard anything about him for yrs, he must be in his late 40's now.

Not sure he was dirty but will admit he wasn’t always in complete control :-/ 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sully said:

Not sure he was dirty but will admit he wasn’t always in complete control :-/ 

That's one way of putting it:D

On 1/19/2023 at 8:35 PM, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Mariusz Puszakowski not crap but so surprised he never got brought back a real entertaining rider 

Was a class act I was also shocked he never returned. The fans loved him

Puszakowski ended up at Arena i believe. Regarding Ronni P I thought he was always worth the admission money alone just for pure entertainment. Did he pole axe the donk at the showground?

One of my diamonds in the rough was Jason Bunyan the boy had talent but never the money to get quality machines that was until the dark warrior took him under his wing and took one of his engines back home to be tuned and boy it made a big difference, that was until one fateful night at wolves if memory serves me right he gated and then ploughed into the fence breaking his arm or leg I can't remember which thou.

11 hours ago, TB1 said:

Puszakowski ended up at Arena i believe. Regarding Ronni P I thought he was always worth the admission money alone just for pure entertainment. Did he pole axe the donk at the showground?

he did and was very popular there! I think he swiched after coming back from injury and Ipswich couldnt fit him in or something like that

I couldn't wait for him and Kim to ride together, get a 5-1 and do a duo celebration,  it happened against Oxford and where was I? On holiday in Turkey fgs!!!!

• Haha 1

Interesting snippet in the Redcar section of the Speedway Star. Interview with Danyon Hume about his move there. Buried in amongst that..

”Hume is hopeful of returning to Ipswich to double up in the Premiership, and feels the stars are aligning nicely in his attempt to continue climbing the Speedway ladder”

No direct quotes from Danyon himself but that was obviously relayed to the interviewer off record. Thought that was interesting..

New boy Keynan Rew is the front cover headliner this week as well, with a two page interview inside. . Well worth picking up. Fully fit sometime in February and will be raring to go in time for press and practice. 

• Like 3