British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Tarasenko For Riss? 

Would be a shoe in for Sheffield to replace Kerr imo if he's leaving Peterborough.

Too late for Ipswich to make the top four now so you may as well stick with the 1-7 and hope some riders lower averages now with one eye on 2024 team building.

10 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Or try out some new riders for next year,,, we know what the ones we have can do 

Can only be one really, a 5 pointer for Riss. Unless they chop Doyle or Emil and re-declare the 1-7 with more changes which I can’t see them doing. But I’d definitely swap out Riss and try out a promising 5 pointer from somewhere. I mean, why not? 

Edited by Arch Stanton

20 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Playing devils advocate....

Maybe it's Louis and Hawkins that need to go? :blink:

And if Chris Louis goes we have no speedway at Foxhall! Is that what you want???

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Or try out some new riders for next year,,, we know what the ones we have can do 

Problem is any rider who turns out to be good would then get a proper GSA before 2024 rather than an assessed GSA which would be a disadvantage to Ipswich when it comes to team building.

May as well try out some new faces next year on assessed averages rather than giving jobs to the same old faces.

40 minutes ago, stu219 said:

And if Chris Louis goes we have no speedway at Foxhall! Is that what you want???

Just posing the question.... like I said devil's advocate. 

1998 is a long time since a Witches team won anything of any note.... Sport is about winning, not taking part. If you have no chance of winning.... why take part?

With possibly no Wolves, Peterborough or King's Lynn in 2024, Will there be speedway in its current form in 2024 anyway? 

Whole sport needs a massive shake up but people just accepting "something is better than nothing" is doing more harm than good.

Wouldnt keep going to your local pub if they served warm beer at £10 a pint just to keep it open....

Or your local chip shop when they serve frozen fish and chips for £10 just so it doesn't close....

31 minutes ago, TTT said:

Problem is any rider who turns out to be good would then get a proper GSA before 2024 rather than an assessed GSA which would be a disadvantage to Ipswich when it comes to team building.

May as well try out some new faces next year on assessed averages rather than giving jobs to the same old faces.

Not of you try one for a few meetings,, then another one 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Can only be one really, a 5 pointer for Riss. Unless they chop Doyle or Emil and re-declare the 1-7 with more changes which I can’t see them doing. But I’d definitely swap out Riss and try out a promising 5 pointer from somewhere. I mean, why not? 

Don't even have to be a 5 pointer, could be a 4 pointer,,, got nothing to lose. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Don't even have to be a 5 pointer, could be a 4 pointer,,, got nothing to lose. 

Erik clearly not right - best to write this season off and focus for him on 2024

Personally I don't rate him in the slightest,, and hope he isn't part of next year's team,,, unless his average drops to 4 

7 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Personally I don't rate him in the slightest,, and hope he isn't part of next year's team,,, unless his average drops to 4 

Same here, Riss has never really scored well regularly in the 1-5, probably worth the risk in reserve berth.

37 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Just posing the question.... like I said devil's advocate. 

1998 is a long time since a Witches team won anything of any note.... Sport is about winning, not taking part. If you have no chance of winning.... why take part?

With possibly no Wolves, Peterborough or King's Lynn in 2024, Will there be speedway in its current form in 2024 anyway? 

Whole sport needs a massive shake up but people just accepting "something is better than nothing" is doing more harm than good.

Wouldnt keep going to your local pub if they served warm beer at £10 a pint just to keep it open....

Or your local chip shop when they serve frozen fish and chips for £10 just so it doesn't close....

I agree in part to the sentiment but with beer and fish and chips you always have options/alternatives but with a sports venue it is slightly different and Ipswich have come near to folding in the past and thanks to the Louis family and some great supporters and sponsors the sport has fought off closure. With a venue like Foxhall, if it Speedway stops it will not come back, not in this day and age notwithstanding the Spedeworth fixtures currently planned, Spedeworth would simply pick up the slack in available dates/weekly meetings permitted by the local council. Plenty who live near to the track would like to see it closed and one or two presenters on BBC Radio Suffolk have been lees than enthusiastic about the Witches and banger racing.

Most on here  realise change is needed but those with the ability to instigate this are unlikely to rock the boat and try something different. It starts with affordability and stop the nonsense of riders demands. It can not afford most of those who grace the tracks but no one has the balls to say enough is enough, the business model is flawed, the participants think they are owed a living from the sport and the club owners treat the fans with such disdain, is it any wonder the sport is on its knees.

No one involved has the balls to do the right thing except one club, who now plough their own furrow. Hopefully a few more will follow and the likes of Vatcher and many other cronies will be out of a job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Not of you try one for a few meetings,, then another one 

Wouldn't be allowed with the cut off date for transfers but then again rules are made to be broken when it comes to British Speedway lol.

55 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I agree in part to the sentiment but with beer and fish and chips you always have options/alternatives but with a sports venue it is slightly different and Ipswich have come near to folding in the past and thanks to the Louis family and some great supporters and sponsors the sport has fought off closure. With a venue like Foxhall, if it Speedway stops it will not come back, not in this day and age notwithstanding the Spedeworth fixtures currently planned, Spedeworth would simply pick up the slack in available dates/weekly meetings permitted by the local council. Plenty who live near to the track would like to see it closed and one or two presenters on BBC Radio Suffolk have been lees than enthusiastic about the Witches and banger racing.

Most on here  realise change is needed but those with the ability to instigate this are unlikely to rock the boat and try something different. It starts with affordability and stop the nonsense of riders demands. It can not afford most of those who grace the tracks but no one has the balls to say enough is enough, the business model is flawed, the participants think they are owed a living from the sport and the club owners treat the fans with such disdain, is it any wonder the sport is on its knees.

No one involved has the balls to do the right thing except one club, who now plough their own furrow. Hopefully a few more will follow and the likes of Vatcher and many other cronies will be out of a job.

An excellent summation..

"They risk their lives for our entertainment" is often the refrain of the "happy clapper"..

And, whilst never decrying or disrespecting what the riders do, if there isn't enough money to let them be fully pro, then they need to not be fully pro...

I don't know when the time arrived when so many "average riders" suddenly became fully professional in the UK, but it certainly didn't do the sport any favours...

When only the "very best" made a "very good" living out of the sport, the sport flourished..

With the "average riders" quite happy to earn in just one night what they earned in a week in their "real job"..

And earned that "weeks money" around twenty times a month..

The sport now seems to be ran solely for the riders to earn as much as is possible to justify their large outlay...

And ran for the Promoters to be able to show that they can rub shoulders with some of the worlds best, regardless of the affordability and actual tangible positive impact to the sport of these riders through increased attendances and publicity.. 

The fans themselves are well down the pecking order, hence we have an operating model that is devised to let pretty much "anything go" just as long as meetings take place, regardless of the credibility of the product being put out there..

With admission costs far in excess of what the competition's actual value is, and often far in excess of what a "good night out" looks and feesl like from an overall entertainment package..

If you personally choose to present something which you have reduced the credibility of, then you really need to make it entertaining, both on and off the track, to keep your fanbase interested and regularly returning...

Covid was the time to be radical, and I can only assume that the promoters thought that thousands of "desperate for Speedway" fans, and ex fans, would flock to the tracks as soon as lockdown finished...

Sadly, doing the same old, same old, led to the same old, same old reasons why thousands of fans, who still closely follow the sport, still don't attend regularly... 

Maybe this AGM eh? 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3