British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

BERWICK v MILDENHALL (Play-off, 1st leg) SATURDAY, OCTOBER 8th

Good for the Bullets to get a win on the night but no where near enough lead to take to Mildenhall for the second leg 

3 hours ago, screm said:

Good for the Bullets to get a win on the night but no where near enough lead to take to Mildenhall for the second leg 

I think it depends who is riding to some extent doesn't it? Is Bickley riding and if not is there a decent guest? Is Luke Harrison riding for Mildenhall? Or maybe even Berwick? Might Ashton Broughen come into it?

These are all important factors. Not much info available.

PS Just realised it is next week rather than today so the criticism of not much info is misplaced.

Edited by Al Stewart

2 hours ago, Al Stewart said:

I think it depends who is riding to some extent doesn't it? Is Bickley riding and if not is there a decent guest? Is Luke Harrison riding for Mildenhall? Or maybe even Berwick? Might Ashton Broughen come into it?

PS Just realised it is next week rather than today so the criticism of not much info is misplaced.

It’s a bit of a joke if the play-offs are decided by who can book the best 3.00 unattached reserve and then hope they honour the booking!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

It’s a bit of a joke if the play-offs are decided by who can book the best 3.00 unattached reserve and then hope they honour the booking!

Have to agree on that, think that once it comes to play offs an unattached rider has to take a bookings for 1 side only and if they go out its no further bookings until the next season.  

• Like 3

On 10/4/2022 at 8:56 PM, szkocjasid said:

With r/r at 2, meaning Edwards in heat 8 (waste of a ride) I'd swap Pijper & Rathbone. 

If Mildenhall are going to put a nigh on unbeatable rider in heat 8, I'd have my 2 weakest against him & look to pick up points in the heats without Edwards in!

Edit: Oxford did the same tonight Jenkins getting an extra ride in heat 8. Don't understand that, if Oxford wanted to build a good lead for the second leg, they'd need their top man beating as many heat leaders as possible, not second strings & reserves!

7 hours ago, George Dodds said:

erm because heat eight is the only heat that a number one can take a rider-replacement ride when R/R is number two on account of them already being in the other three programmed races. Surely the question is more whether it makes sense to run r/r at two.

That's the point I was making, why put r/r at 2? Jenkins may get an almost guaranteed win in heat 8, but that was never gonna be enough for Oxford to beat Leicester over 2 legs! They needed him to take as many points off the 3 heat leaders to give Oxford a chance to progress imo

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 8:56 PM, szkocjasid said:

With r/r at 2, meaning Edwards in heat 8 (waste of a ride) I'd swap Pijper & Rathbone. 

If Mildenhall are going to put a nigh on unbeatable rider in heat 8, I'd have my 2 weakest against him & look to pick up points in the heats without Edwards in!

I feel my point was proved correct last night. Pijper, as expected, couldn't beat Edwards in heat 8. Having Rathbone in that heat likely wouldn't have cost them any points (Rathbone looked stronger than Muff). But Pijper would have been favourite to win heat 12, so Berwick could have added an extra 2 or 4 points onto their first leg lead!

Edited by szkocjasid

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

I feel my point was proved correct last night. Pijper, as expected, couldn't beat Edwards in heat 8. Having Rathbone in that heat likely wouldn't have cost them any points (Rathbone looked stronger than Muff). But Pijper would have been favourite to win heat 12, so Berwick could have added an extra 2 or 4 points onto their first leg lead!

Were you though? Luke Harrison was a lot quicker than Ace Pijper in heat 15 before he fell, so would Ace have won heat 12? Ifs, buts and maybes, we will never know.

Foe me Luke Harrison was the most impressive rider on show last night, even finishing comfortably ahead of Jason Edwards in heat 11.

It could also be said Berwick could have added a few points to their lead by staying on their bikes / Greg Blair's bike troubles.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Al Stewart said:

According to Speedway friends on Facebook Greg's season is over so would expect Berwick to need one guest at least (failed to recover fully from a head knock in Keith hamblin post).

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

44 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Were you though? Luke Harrison was a lot quicker than Ace Pijper in heat 15 before he fell, so would Ace have won heat 12? Ifs, buts and maybes, we will never know.

Foe me Luke Harrison was the most impressive rider on show last night, even finishing comfortably ahead of Jason Edwards in heat 11.

It could also be said Berwick could have added a few points to their lead by staying on their bikes / Greg Blair's bike troubles.

That's why I said 2 or 4 points, while Pijper may or may not have beaten Harrison, I'm sure he would have beaten Warren!

I was very impressed with Harrison, just needs some coaching from Chris Harris about riding the deep outside & he'll be unstoppable!

He's a must signing for the Bullets on a 3.00 ave for next season!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

That's why I said 2 or 4 points, while Pijper may or may not have beaten Harrison, I'm sure he would have beaten Warren!

I was very impressed with Harrison, just needs some coaching from Chris Harris about riding the deep outside & he'll be unstoppable!

Should of really been in when turned 15 

2 minutes ago, mc131 said:

Hi mate unfortunately due to 250cc commitments for the period of time after he turned 15 until after the cut off date it was impossible to sign for any club as he would of been unavailable to much 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Hi mate unfortunately due to 250cc commitments for the period of time after he turned 15 until after the cut off date it was impossible to sign for any club as he would of been unavailable to much 

Thanks, thought it was strange why berwick wouldn't of had him in the team 

On 10/9/2022 at 2:31 PM, Islander15 said:

On 10/9/2022 at 2:35 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Have to agree on that, think that once it comes to play offs an unattached rider has to take a bookings for 1 side only and if they go out its no further bookings until the next season.  

Still wouldn't solve the problem of the league being decided by a team losing their weakest rider & strengthening up with the "next Dan Bewley" - not that you can solve that problem, can't tell a team not to pick a good guest!

Actually you can solve the problem - don't have play-offs!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

18 hours ago, mc131 said:

I suppose in Berwick's defence it wasn't like they had an obvious non-scoring reserve to replace. Weakest rider throughout the year as been on a 4.00 ave (ish). Probably also don't want to give Harrison enough matches to get an average!

Edited by szkocjasid

22 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Still wouldn't solve the problem of the league being decided by a team losing their weakest rider & strengthening up with the "next Dan Bewley" - not that you can solve that problem, can't tell a team not to pick a good guest!

Actually you can solve the problem - don't have play-offs!

There is a strong argument for not having play-offs in the NDL, in that at most tracks NDL fixtures will be shunted aside in preference to Prem/CL matches making cut-off compliance even more challenging. 

• Like 1