British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Hopefully Pedersen will concentrate his efforts in Poland, Denmark and Sweden.....

I really don’t get why you’d say that ? like I said he is marmite but he’s box office entertainer he’d definitely increase crowds levels where ever he rides  so why’d you’d not want him racing in the UK is a total mystery to me . 

• Like 6

On 12/15/2022 at 8:30 AM, Mimmo said:

I appreciate we are living in a modern world, but it's often been said, so many of the older generation don't have modern mobile phones that can download Apps, I'm one of them.
It's not just a case of cost, but the older you get, the harder it becomes to learn and understand many things in life, and modern technology is one.

This is a very fair point, when you've got fingers like cows t*ts or a bit of arthritis it's only a matter of time before hundreds of pounds worth of technology goes bouncing down the concrete terracing! A pop up phone shop by the main stand that can replace screens during the tractor grading should solve it though - at Lynn there's enough time to change a screen and charge the battery while the tractor is out.

On 12/18/2022 at 4:57 PM, FromBendThree said:

Promoters in those days realised they were in entertainment business. Well remember Cyril Crane pantomimes with refs. Storming up to the box, the crowd roaring as they watched Cyril jumping up and down and wagging finger while talking to ref. Pure entertainment. Cyril was never fined but then he never swore at ref while he asked the ref if he wanted sugar with his tea and would he like a bar of choccy. Of course, we on terraces could only see Cyril and not hear him. If only we had known 

Good old " ian thomas" in his book tells the tale how he would tell mr crane to put on a show shouting at the ref from centre green phone, got us kids shouting back at him ,all good stuff and sadly lacking these days 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Good old " ian thomas" in his book tells the tale how he would tell mr crane to put on a show shouting at the ref from centre green phone, got us kids shouting back at him ,all good stuff and sadly lacking these days 

Absolutely agree - there doesn’t have to be a all out brawl to get a reaction from the crowd just banter rivalry as well between local clubs seems to have vanished- the rivalry between KL and Ipswich in the 70s and 80 s was second to none . 
Guess it’s a different world now were you have to be careful what you say and do not to upset a few people .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Haza said:

Absolutely agree - there doesn’t have to be a all out brawl to get a reaction from the crowd just banter rivalry as well between local clubs seems to have vanished- the rivalry between KL and Ipswich in the 70s and 80 s was second to none . 
Guess it’s a different world now were you have to be careful what you say and do not to upset a few people .

Agree i've seen a few police on the back straight the odd time around 79 to 81. My mate got headbutted by an Ippo fan on the 3rd bend in the late 80's. That was back in the day when the crowds seemed generally a lot  bigger and younger. It's very quiet now. The night when Alex gave away 100 air horns was a good night atmosphere wise, but they all disappeared by the next meeting sadly.

3 hours ago, Haza said:

I really don’t get why you’d say that ? like I said he is marmite but he’s box office entertainer he’d definitely increase crowds levels where ever he rides  so why’d you’d not want him racing in the UK is a total mystery to me . 

if Pedersen rode in the UK, even now i'd have him down to get a higher average than Doyle

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, stevehone said:

if Pedersen rode in the UK, even now i'd have him down to get a higher average than Doyle

Not a chance imo

6 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Not a chance imo

Absolutely No Chance

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Yes but look at the crowd numbers they attract.

It was a bit tongue in cheek really,replying to Bagpuss.I quite like the rants and little comings together with riders the more the merrier,it does get the crowd involved.Hopefully we will see a return of Pedersen to these shores i'm pretty sure he will give the crowds something to talk about.I still don't like that American wrestling though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tellboy said:

It was a bit tongue in cheek really,replying to Bagpuss.I quite like the rants and little comings together with riders the more the merrier,it does get the crowd involved.Hopefully we will see a return of Pedersen to these shores i'm pretty sure he will give the crowds something to talk about.I still don't like that American wrestling though.

I,ve said it many times before - promoting speedway as a 'family sport' has not exactly had the desired effect of increased crowds!?

A few more 'handbags' and 'grudges' between certain teams/riders should be hyped up by local and social media and the clubs/riders themselves.  

Will 'fast and furious' attract more audiences than 'a family sport'?  No brainer for me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Haza said:

Cos he's a danger to every other rider and they can do without that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Trees said:

Hopefully Pedersen will concentrate his efforts in Poland, Denmark and Sweden.....

The last thing we need is world class riders wanting to ride here…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tellboy said:

I miss the banter and crowd noise of many years ago. Its very quiet compared to the local footy. The Son in Law asked if i wanted to go with him to a King's Lynn Town footy match  for my first time a about 3 months ago. We stood with the noisy lot next to the away fans.. Only separated by a 3ft6 fence, about 10 feet and a few stewards. The "Banter" and some of Lynn's songs are ruthless... Even had coins flying about in the recent FA cup game. I've been to 6 now. The Boxing day game against local rivals Boston UTD should be a cracker:D.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 2

Love him or hate him (I hate him) Pedersen will be absolutely class in any country, let alone our weak leagues... I'd love to see him here, I'd travel to see him

3 hours ago, Trees said:

Cos he's a danger to every other rider and they can do without that!

Nice men don’t win anything.

• Like 1