British Speedway Forum

9 hours ago, CountArthur said:

It's really interesting to read some of the comments on here, especially looking back over the past few days.

I was at Sheffield last Thursday and it was a fairly comfortable win for the Tigers and, yes, Kasprzak looked awful. But it's early season, things are just settling down and riders are getting back to fitness, getting used to new machinery and, in some cases, new tracks. The reaction to his first two meetings was typical of much of the society of today - an over reaction. Reading this forum sometimes is like listening to the stuff football fans come out with when they want a manager sacked after a couple of losses. It's a horrible culture.

Riders getting stick for being better at home than away is also becoming more common. I'm not sure how certain riders from the 70s and 80s would have stayed with clubs for as long as they did if internet forums existed back then. I remember one season at Sheffield in the 1970s when the Tigers had a 100% home record but failed to pick up a point away from home. Riders like Craig Pendlebury and Arnie Haley remained popular even though there was a big disparity between their home averages and their away averages because they were loyal servants to the club and put the effort in. Further back, Billy Bales had a great home average but struggled to score a point away from home for a few seasons. I think he would have been hounded out in today's need for instant success.

I was really pleased the Stars won last night and really pleased that KK got a maximum. I just hope the fans can show a bit of patience and a bit of tolerance, rather than all this bed wetting nonsense that gets posted in week 1 of the season.

Bloody hell Billy Bales remember asking him if he had any spare goggles and him giving me a pair .Arnie Haley Bob Paulson John Dews Charlie Monk Jim Airey god those we re the days 

I agree people are too quick to be judgemental on a rider. I know KK is not perfect but I feel he will average in excess of 7 and that may well be within the range of 0 to 15 but that may be more beneficial than somebody with a lesser range.

10 hours ago, CountArthur said:

It's really interesting to read some of the comments on here, especially looking back over the past few days.

I was at Sheffield last Thursday and it was a fairly comfortable win for the Tigers and, yes, Kasprzak looked awful. But it's early season, things are just settling down and riders are getting back to fitness, getting used to new machinery and, in some cases, new tracks. The reaction to his first two meetings was typical of much of the society of today - an over reaction. Reading this forum sometimes is like listening to the stuff football fans come out with when they want a manager sacked after a couple of losses. It's a horrible culture.

Riders getting stick for being better at home than away is also becoming more common. I'm not sure how certain riders from the 70s and 80s would have stayed with clubs for as long as they did if internet forums existed back then. I remember one season at Sheffield in the 1970s when the Tigers had a 100% home record but failed to pick up a point away from home. Riders like Craig Pendlebury and Arnie Haley remained popular even though there was a big disparity between their home averages and their away averages because they were loyal servants to the club and put the effort in. Further back, Billy Bales had a great home average but struggled to score a point away from home for a few seasons. I think he would have been hounded out in today's need for instant success.

I was really pleased the Stars won last night and really pleased that KK got a maximum. I just hope the fans can show a bit of patience and a bit of tolerance, rather than all this bed wetting nonsense that gets posted in week 1 of the season.

Thats being polite and diplomatic!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CountArthur said:

I take your point and sympathise with the sentiment. Unfortunately, KK has a track record (no pun intended) of being somewhat, dare I say, very inconsistent going back years. We used to say on arriving at a meeting, "Which KK has turned up tonight?". Personally he drove me mad,

On 4/15/2023 at 11:34 AM, False dawn said:

I take your point and sympathise with the sentiment. Unfortunately, KK has a track record (no pun intended) of being somewhat, dare I say, very inconsistent going back years. We used to say on arriving at a meeting, "Which KK has turned up tonight?". Personally he drove me mad,

Drives me up the wall.

Under 16’s are now free at the AFA, from Monday. Usual price was a fiver. Well done King’s Lynn.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 4

Of course, just when he was about to line up at reserve on Monday :rolleyes:

Get well soon JP.

Edited by Bagpuss

Lets hope Pickering has been withdrawn as a precaution and that he will be fit to take his place at reserve on Monday.

Can't see anyone to guest from the PL with only Ipswich not riding.

Craig Cook maybe?:neutral:

Or maybe Nicholls,afterall he has only been guesting for Wolves:t:

Edited by tellboy

An Edinburgh article saying maybe 4-6 weeks for Josh and they just going to run with guests. Will Lynn sign a replacement? 

49 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

An Edinburgh article saying maybe 4-6 weeks for Josh and they just going to run with guests. Will Lynn sign a replacement? 

If he goes back into the top five next Monday then I suspect it'll be R/R. Can't imagine there's much appetite to shell out on a short term replacement but could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

If he goes back into the top five next Monday then I suspect it'll be R/R. Can't imagine there's much appetite to shell out on a short term replacement but could be wrong.

Could they tempt Nicholls in as a 28 day replacement.Be handy at reserve away to Ipswich on the Bank Holiday if Pickering's average stays at no6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

Could they tempt Nicholls in as a 28 day replacement.Be handy at reserve away to Ipswich on the Bank Holiday if Pickering's average stays at no6.

If Nicholls signs as a temp replacement, they don't use Pickering's average any more, so Nicholls would be at reserve - best reserve in the league imo

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

The cut-off date for May has passed, Pickering will still be at reserve. Nicholls or Cook could be possible temporary signings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

The cut-off date for May has passed, Pickering will still be at reserve. Nicholls or Cook could be possible temporary signings.

Just seen Pickering's average has now fallen to below 6 for May:blink:.If he is out for 4/6 weeks a temp replacement needed imo.Say Nicholls did sign,do those matches count towards an average for Nicholls?