British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

In the top flight King's Lynn & glory hunting isn't something that can be thrown at King's Lynn fans ever. 

Many on here have been fans for more than 30yrs & success isn't what is demanded. 

What is demanded though in 2023 is VFM. 

There's not 1 thing currently about King's Lynn (& Peterborough) that give anything back to the fans. 

Poor track, poor racing, poor team, poor food etc. Why should us not going feel guilty if the club closes?? 

I've always said it, I'll say it again & it's absolutely, without question, fact:

IT'S NEVER THE FANS FAULT IF A CLUB CLOSES.

It's on those running the clubs

I'm specifically addressing those fans that don't attend because their team ain't winning. If every fan took that stance the team finishing bottom of the league every year would close

I'd be interested to hear what BB thinks of all this as he was a big defender of Alex. 

Just now, iainb said:

I'm specifically addressing those fans that don't attend because their team ain't winning. If every fan took that stance the team finishing bottom of the league every year would close

I'm simply saying that's not something you can throw at King's Lynn fans, we're used to not winning. 

There are far greater circumstances to people not attending, not winning isn't a major factor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's alright to hold this view if you are prepared to kiss goodbye to speedway and not miss it.

I would say you shouldn't hold this position if you are planning on attending again once a team starts winning. 

Speedway changes the rules so often that a club is not in the doldrums for that long and things can change very quickly when the right people are in the right positions on both sides of the fence. 

You only have to look at clubs that have won things in any league in speedway and then compare that to other sports... the only serial winners in speedway had been Poole 

You have two distinct fan bases now...

Those who "wear the club shop" and still believe it means something to follow "their team", (no matter how contrived and random it often is)...

And the other being those who just go along for a decent night out to watch the racing..

Unfortunately when you have a poor team, AND poor racing, you alienate both sets of potential punters...

With the self fulfilling prophecy of less fans attending, meaning less atmosphere, meaning less fans attending, meaning less atmosphere, meaning less etc etc etc...

Covid was the time to start again...

You can only presume, by their lack of  action, that the promoters saw absolutely no reason to do anything of the sort.

A bed they made, to now lie in....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'm simply saying that's not something you can throw at King's Lynn fans, we're used to not winning. 

There are far greater circumstances to people not attending, not winning isn't a major factor. 

I'm not throwing anything at KL fans I'm specifically addressing @Bagpuss and fans like him who clearly bleed green & gold (:)) that at this moment if they don't support their club... not team... there will be no club. 

I'm currently catching up with last nights meeting, I'm at heat 7, track seems perfectly fine, there's been a couple of good races, the stars are just getting stuffed due to a poor team being put together

Edited by iainb

I hate to say this but postponing a meeting brings back memories of Rye House. I hope things turn out differently for the sake of the regulars at Kings Lynn.

4 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I'd be interested to hear what BB thinks of all this as he was a big defender of Alex. 

I've got to be honest, I think that press release is an absolute disgrace. 

It's a clear effort to not put any blame on to Buster & or Allitt. 

People have missed the point in that King's Lynn (& Peterborough) have been run disgracefully even pre Brady & the common denominator in that is the 2 names within my 2nd paragraph. It's not a coincidence :t:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

You have two distinct fan bases now...

Those who "wear the club shop" and still believe it means something to follow "their team", (no matter how contrived and random it often is)...

And the other being those who just go along for a decent night out to watch the racing..

Unfortunately when you have a poor team, AND poor racing, you alienate both sets of potential punters...

With the self fulfilling prophecy of less fans attending, meaning less atmosphere, meaning less fans attending, meaning less atmosphere, meaning less etc etc etc...

Covid was the time to start again...

You can only presume, by their lack of  action, that the promoters saw absolutely no reason to do anything of the sort.

A bed they made, to now lie in....

I think there's a third base, and I've just referenced it in my previous post... supporters of the club, which is different to the team, the club, it's history, the volunteer staff that make it all happen, it's just a shame that some of the mercenaries that ride for the club don't share the same passion as some of the clubs followers

If Peterborough and Lynn go under then poor old Ipswich could end up with a wooden spoon 

10 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

If Peterborough and Lynn go under then poor old Ipswich could end up with a wooden spoon 

Imagine having the two highest averaged riders in the league and finishing bottom, talk about embarrassing..... :neutral:

12 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

I hope neither go under. But happens with Discovery? I thought there had to be at least 6 teams. 

37 minutes ago, iainb said:

I think there's a third base, and I've just referenced it in my previous post... supporters of the club, which is different to the team, the club, it's history, the volunteer staff that make it all happen, it's just a shame that some of the mercenaries that ride for the club don't share the same passion as some of the clubs followers

I’m sure many riders would like to have “ a club” the rules dictate they move about, be that 1-7 or guests… it’s their chosen living & they take risks.

it’s a bs/contrived.. “cough” sport. People like to belong, be that in relationships, a work environment, a band, a team to play in or follow etc etc.d

How can you get behind a team in Speedway when many of the team change year in year out, and often on a wk to wk basis. That’s how you build something and something sustainable.. Speedway can’t do that, which then leads to apathy and zero credibility… Sports pages would love to get behind something creating a buzz (for sales obvs) it’s crisis after crisis.. I wonder how Discovery view this farce.

Edited by Littleze
Spelling/context
  • Like 3

The press release is aimed at promoting fear among speedway fans and Lynn fans stating money problems i.e. over budget so i.e. we need all fans to attend to see us through the season

And but we will want to come to the tapes in 2024 i.e. give us your money and we'll give you hope

Buster is seeking special dispensation to allow for doubling IN not down or up but doubling IN the same division and nights either of his sides is not racing, he wants to be able to select a septet of the two

The reality tho is he needs to bin Laguta due to Artems polish club not allowing him to race in the UK, and just use Iversen as a permanent guest for the remainder of the season

Try and offload the club to someone who may keep lynn in a top flight championship or buster get someone in to help have a go at championship level 

4 hours ago, StarBoy said:

The end is definitely nigh. 

It certainly looks very grim and what a bizarre statement and strange action to take that will only add to the probability that KL will be closed down. The problems are all down to Chapman and his useless management of the club and that includes letting Brady get involved. He has only himself to blame for the desperate state of financial affairs at KL and accept responsibility and suffer the consequences. The truth is KL fans have been let badly down by Chapman and may end up losing there club which will be a loss to the sport unlike the village idiot Chapman who will not be. He is certainly not the saviour of KL but the destroyer and he should have been kicked out years ago. 

21 minutes ago, Littleze said:

I’m sure many riders would like to have “ a club” the rules dictate they move about, be that 1-7 or guests… it’s their chosen living & they take risks.

it’s a bs/contrived.. “cough” sport. People like to belong, be that in relationships, a work environment, a band, a team to play in or follow etc etc.

How can you get behind a team in Speedway when many of the team change year in year out, and often on a wk to wk basis. That’s how you build something and something sustainable.. Speedway can do that, which then leads to apathy and zero credibility… Sports pages would love to get behind something creating a buzz (for sales obvs) it’s crisis after crisis.. I wonder how Discovery view this farce.

I get it... the whole sport is in a mess, seeing any club go out of business through non attendance surely can't be the answer though, not if you really want to see Speedway survive and flourish. 

We all have our own ideas on what should be done but unfortunately as none of us are club owners there's very little we can do about it short of some kind of fan petition/demonstration 

Edited by iainb