British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

A great call, long overdue by tracks if they want to encourage Season ticket sales..

Personally, I would find a pre paid charge too restrictive in running my business as it would prevent me doing adhoc marketing through the year to encourage less loyal punters each week, but Speedway seems to see some value in them..

Not sure it has the same cash flow impact that in "days of yore" it had though...

My only add on would be to ditch the free programme and do a season ticket with the free programme value removed..

I never buy a programme, so knocking 3 quid off each meeting may persuade me to get a season ticket..

Good to see a promotion thinking with innovation though isnt it? 

Agree on the Programme bit. I’ve never brought one in 40 years of attending so the Ipswich ticket for me is better value than the Lynn one as it’s a tenna cheaper at £250 instead of £260. But for those fans that buying a programme every week is essential then the Lynn season ticket is excellent value for them. 

23 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Yes I know I saw that, did you not see my exclamation mark.

Being a Poole fan explains it then.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Agree on the Programme bit. I’ve never brought one in 40 years of attending so the Ipswich ticket for me is better value than the Lynn one as it’s a tenna cheaper at £250 instead of £260. But for those fans that buying a programme every week is essential then the Lynn season ticket is excellent value for them. 

I would have thought most fans buy a programme so good value in my opinion.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I would have thought most fans buy a programme so good value in my opinion.

Totally disagree. I’d wager there’s more that don’t than do..

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

That's what I use speedway updates for.  It's also about time all meetings were available to be streamed.

The days of programme buying have been dwindling for many years. Still get the old stalwarts and traditionalists with their trusty old programme board and biro of course, but they seem to be getting less and less in number with each year that passes. 

• Like 1

If your club only has income from admissions, programme sales, advertising and sponsorship, then true fans would surely buy a programme to support their club?! Wouldn't they?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

If your club only has income from admissions, programme sales, advertising and sponsorship, then true fans would surely buy a programme to support their club?! Wouldn't they?

I always buy one but maybe in these times it is understandable some don't but I did think the majority bought one but maybe not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The days of programme buying have been dwindling for many years. Still get the old stalwarts and traditionalists with their trusty old programme board and biro of course, but they seem to be getting less and less in number with each year that passes. 

I don't have a programme board, never have, but I do buy a programme, filling it in between races with results and race times passes the time in between races, hardly ever look at it after the meeting but I like to think buying one is helping the club in a very small way.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So anybody who doesn't buy a programme isn't a true fan? Give over.

Speedway is expensive enough (too expensive) to get into nowadays without buying a programme, plus the cost of fuel makes it even more so, particularly in rural areas. British speedway is terrible at offering good VFM, it's about time that was addressed. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

What you read in them is invariably on the internet via a club website or on here, already..

And some are months out of date if the initial meeting was rained off...

And at circa £20 now to get in "a night at the speedway" has become something many now need to plan in as part or their disposable income post all the living costs being paid..

A family of four in particular will be having to make some serious juggling of spending to afford attending their local track over the next season I would think...

Programmes, Car parking fees and even food may be getting a swerve just so people can afford to watch the action..

The really important part of the night...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I stand right by the programme sales table, and more people come up and buy than not.
If they are a couple or family, then yes they normally buy one to share between them, generally speaking.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I stand right by the programme sales table, and more people come up and buy than not.
If they are a couple or family, then yes they normally buy one to share between them, generally speaking.

Fair enough. Certainly not the case I’m my experience. 

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

What you read in them is invariably on the internet via a club website or on here, already..

And some are months out of date if the initial meeting was rained off...

And at circa £20 now to get in "a night at the speedway" has become something many now need to plan in as part or their disposable income post all the living costs being paid..

A family of four in particular will be having to make some serious juggling of spending to afford attending their local track over the next season I would think...

Programmes, Car parking fees and even food may be getting a swerve just so people can afford to watch the action..

The really important part of the night...

I don't know about that, there are some programmes that have interesting content you won't find on the Internet.

• Like 1

Other way you could do it is give the supporters a choice, £260 for a season ticket that includes a programme, or £250 for one without. Colour code so that one season ticket is blue the other green so those on the gate know who gets a programme and who doesn’t. Probably too much hassle for those in charge but an idea nonetheless. 

• Like 1