British Speedway Forum

8 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So whats this non-critical  'fortunate position' of which you speak??

Go and find a phone box to start a fight in!

• Haha 3

This kind of thing has always gone on and always will do, gentleman's agreements will get broken when self employed tradesmen get offered a slightly better deal by somebody else. Rankles when it's your own team but it's part of speedway.

Everyone knows Poole can offer more than most, seems to offend the south coast mafia on here though which is slightly odd. Nothing to be ashamed of.

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

What 'fortunate position' is that then? Oh yes, being able to guarantee that riders will be paid on time and as per contract! Thats why riders want to ride for Poole.

Shouldn't every club be aiming to do the same?!

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The Plymouth 'Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me' Gladiators!!:rofl::nono:

So are you trying to say Plymouth riders aren’t paid on time? 

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

This kind of thing has always gone on and always will do, gentleman's agreements will get broken when self employed tradesmen get offered a slightly better deal by somebody else. Rankles when it's your own team but it's part of speedway.

Everyone knows Poole can offer more than most, seems to offend the south coast mafia on here though which is slightly odd. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Because there are plenty of examples when this is not the case. And by the way we moved down to save money so hardly going to splash the cash. People thinking we would is odd! :rolleyes:

But other fans only say it because they don't like that other riders might want to ride for Poole and it makes them feel better, not because there is actually any truth in what they are saying. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Because there are plenty of examples when this is not the case. And by the way we moved down to save money so hardly going to splash the cash. People thinking we would is odd! :rolleyes:

But other fans only say it because they don't like that other riders might want to ride for Poole and it makes them feel better, not because there is actually any truth in what they are saying. 

'Splashing the cash' isn't the same as 'paying more than most'. I'd have thought moving down would allow you to continue paying more than most as well as maintaining your race night. And I think people probably say that Poole pay more than most because that's the case  it stands to reason as one of the best supported and sponsored clubs in the UK.

The notion that Poole are one of the only ones to pay on time is a poor argument too (not your suggestion on thos thread I know). Most do and I'm sure that includes Plymouth.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Another thing that makes the Poole offer attractive is that near certainty of extra meetings as they are pretty much nailed on for the play-offs most seasons

• Like 6

Poole are definitely an attractive club to ride for there silverware doesn’t lie I just think saying clubs don’t pay there riders on time is poor unless the person on here who says it has proof but I sincerely doubt they do and they should be careful what they say as I no for a fact certain promoters of teams pay a passing interest in what is said on here.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

'Splashing the cash' isn't the same as 'paying more than most'. I'd have thought moving down would allow you to continue paying more than most as well as maintaining your race night. And I think people probably say that Poole pay more than most because that's the case  it stands to reason as one of the best supported and sponsored clubs in the UK.

The notion that Poole are one of the only ones to pay on time is a poor argument too (not your suggestion on thos thread I know). Most do and I'm sure that includes Plymouth.

But that is just your opinion. My problem arises when other people pass it off as fact when there have been instances in the past when other clubs have offered riders more than what Poole have done. 

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1

Poole must do one or all of the following 

1- pay there riders on time 

2- pay above the average going rate

3- organise good sponsors 

4- provide overnight accommodation

5  - provide storage for riders machinery

My thoughts are all of them as I can’t see there 2023 captain travelling over 

250 miles or at least 5 1/2 hrs from his home  in Lincolnshire for a home fixture 

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

What 'fortunate position' is that then? Oh yes, being able to guarantee that riders will be paid on time and as per contract! Thats why riders want to ride for Poole.

Shouldn't every club be aiming to do the same?!

So all other teams don’t pay on time , and you know this how as this is how it comes across.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

Poole must do one or all of the following 

1- pay there riders on time 

2- pay above the average going rate

3- organise good sponsors 

4- provide overnight accommodation

5  - provide storage for riders machinery

My thoughts are all of them as I can’t see there 2023 captain travelling over 

250 miles or at least 5 1/2 hrs from his home  in Lincolnshire for a home fixture 

Definitely 1, 3, 4 and probably 5

Edited by Arthur54
  • Like 1

For a man who is very vocal on here skidder he seems to have gone very quiet since he made such a bold statement.

Paying on time is great but I know Poole are not the only team that does that,they also provide vans,living allowance for Aussies, race suits,there is lots of ways of paying more than just points money. As for paying on time that maybe every 30 days,14 days,7 days,or even straight after the meeting so hardly anything unique or worth banging on about. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Oxford, Berwick, Plymouth, Scunthorpe, Redcar would not attract the calibre of riders such as Danny King, Jason crump, bjarne pedersen, Ben basso,Sam Masters etc would not sign for clubs who had a bad reputation for paying surely.  Change the record Skidder1 it's wearing a bit thin now. :t:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike0310 said:

For a man who is very vocal on here skidder he seems to have gone very quiet since he made such a bold statement.

So sorry I had other things to do.. There are ample examples of riders not being paid on time or even what they are due - not only in this country but also in Poland and Sweden.

I haven't said that Poole is the only club to pay on time, but they do have the well-deserved reputation.  As a club and rider sponsor of many years I stand by my comment that Poole do NOT pay over the odds! .And believe me I hear many tales of unpaid monies from visiting riders!!

When the season gets underway and you have the chance to chat with your 2023 riders, ask the question and see what response you get from their previous seasons?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So sorry I had other things to do.. There are ample examples of riders not being paid on time or even what they are due - not only in this country but also in Poland and Sweden.

I haven't said that Poole is the only club to pay on time, but they do have the well-deserved reputation.  As a club and rider sponsor of many years I stand by my comment that Poole do NOT pay over the odds! .And believe me I hear many tales of unpaid monies from visiting riders!!

what is over the odds really? if a club desperately wants a single rider to fit into there team because their ave fits perfect they will pay whatever the riders wants within reason if it’s over the odds who really cares it’s not like there’s a minimum or maximum rate  if 2/3 clubs are after the same rider then that could be when clubs will pay a bit over the odds like for any self employed person you pay for what you get 

• Like 2