British Speedway Forum

12 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I have heard seperately that Ben Cook took a big bang to his head in the crash with Brady and is sitting out fixtures in the next few weeks to be on the safe side!

Yes the POL sites didn't elaborate other than to say his crash was not serious and if anything it was Brady who came off worse from the incident.

Don't blame the lad after what happened to Rew and Zischke. He has a lot to look forward to in 2023 and not worth it to risk any further mishaps.

Thanks for clarifying.

40 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

To also put this into perspective then.

You could see Roynon go from say 3.47 to say 5.5 purely due to beating weaker reserves regularly. In the main team he would probably creep back down to his truer av of around 3.5.

In that case Poole could well replace him with for example Max Ruml on 5.47 (just an example). So in effect play the system by swapping a 3.5 man with a rider who has a proven 2 point higher av based on real proven form.

I wonder how many teams will try similar although many with weak av will struggle to pull that one off.

I use Ruml just as an example but there are plenty of riders arguably stronger than Roynon you could use similarly as an example and also possible young Aussies or even foreign riders with Euro racing experience on a 5.

Suppose no wonder Roynon is/was in demand if others are/were thinking similar.

I think you have hit the nail on the head,no one expects Roynon to be at Poole in September. 

Edited by lewy

6 minutes ago, lewy said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head,no one expects to be at Poole in September. 

I assume you mean him and not the whole team ;).

Timing is going to be interesting though as I'm sure they won't want to leave it too late, as no doubt others will be trying the same. Although looking through the other teams can't see many who have such an advantage who would want to release that rider i.e Edwards at Redcar who I  expect to also see go up. No way they will want to lose him.

Opens up a whole range of options if he did go to a 5 or higher although in fairness would't do him  any favours in  respect of getting another team as I assume his GSA would be 5 plus when released ??.

Of course it may not happen and he drifts in and out of reserve all season and gives a chance for a stronger reserve such as Zach Cook or Thomas to take extra rides if they find themselves down there. 

Its another string to Poole's bow I suppose.

2 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Hopefully someone on the forum knows the answer to this.

IF it is as assumed by many to be Roynon at number 7 - He is on 3.47 after Brit discount.

With so many weaker/inexperienced reserves in the Lge this season, there must be a good chance his GSA could well go to 5 or above when the first or second new  GSA's com into effect.

My question is that IF he were to rise to  a 5 I assume he would go into the main team if say Thomas (or say Z.Cook)  dropped below 5.

In that situation would Poole be able to replace him with a rider of the same av i.e a 5 or below or does the team still have to fall in total within the 40 point limit.

I assume same argument could apply to any team in Champ. Or is there a min time period before a rider can be changed and if so the same question applies.

Think he would be doing extremely well to get out of a reserve berth. Can’t see that happening at all. Newman is more than likely to outscore Adam. If Newman got into the top five, then we would be even stronger at reserve with Zack Cook or Jack Thomas. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Tbf the changes happened in H8 rather than near the end of the meeting. So most times meeting could have gone either way at that point. 

I can't buy that one Lisa....Ablitt could've taken an extra ride in Heat 12/14 respectively once the meeting had been won.

But in light of your comment...I don't think it mattered if the meeting was still up for grabs...see e.g below ?

Ht 8:  B.Cook, Z.Cook, T.Brennan, C.Bailey 5-1 34-14 [59.41]

16 points up and Ablitt still replaced ?

It's just an observation...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I can't buy that one Lisa....Ablitt could've taken an extra ride in Heat 12/14 respectively once the meeting had been won.

But in light of your comment...I don't think it mattered if the meeting was still up for grabs...see e.g below ?

Ht 8:  B.Cook, Z.Cook, T.Brennan, C.Bailey 5-1 34-14 [59.41]

16 points up and Ablitt still replaced ?

It's just an observation...

That's a question for Middlo ;)

May be it's just a case of the Team Manager's ethos....

Winning ruthlessly at all times...or winning with development in mind, as and when.

I suppose it could be argued that the manager was more keen to develop Cook, as this would be more beneficial to the team when matches were closely run?

As I said...it's just an observation and you can't knock Middlo's success !

I get frustrated with B'ham's manager when he 'doesnt' tactically use the reserves to B'ham's benefit. (but that's a whole different story...) :D

• Like 2

Is all the talk of Newman and Roynon being the last two based on anything other than their averages fitting?

If there’s some truth, in my opinion it’ll be the poorest Poole team since 2009 when they only managed to avoid being last because Belle Vue were even worse!

dont forget eck its also probably the worse league since 2009,this season is a frightening indication of how far poole speedway has fallen, thinking back to all those wonderful riders we used to see (home and away teams) every week,also shows the continuing and steady decline of british speedway,having said that im already looking forward to the start of the season

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, poole keith said:

dont forget eck its also probably the worse league since 2009,this season is a frightening indication of how far poole speedway has fallen, thinking back to all those wonderful riders we used to see (home and away teams) every week,also shows the continuing and steady decline of british speedway,having said that im already looking forward to the start of the season

I was flicking through Youtube the other day and the 2003 (i think) KO Cup Final vs Coventry was on there!! Poole had Adams, Rickardson and Loram as there 1,3 and 5 whilst Cov's was Richardson, Hamill (Though he was injured) and AJ!! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

I was flicking through Youtube the other day and the 2003 (i think) KO Cup Final vs Coventry was on there!! Poole had Adams, Rickardson and Loram as there 1,3 and 5 whilst Cov's was Richardson, Hamill (Though he was injured) and AJ!! 

Was it the second leg at Coventry? I went to that and was one of the best comebacks I have seen but I am probably a bit biased with my opinion! :D

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Yes I remember it well, best comeback in our history. Awful night weather wise but amazing meeting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Was it the second leg at Coventry? I went to that and was one of the best comebacks I have seen but I am probably a bit biased with my opinion! :D

I was there too Lisa, incredible meeting. What do you mean one of the best!! 

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, lewy said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head,no one expects Roynon to be at Poole in September. 

Personally don't think any of that will happen, we could have got rid of Kemp last season who increased his average by nearly two points. 

17 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Think he would be doing extremely well to get out of a reserve berth. Can’t see that happening at all. Newman is more than likely to outscore Adam. If Newman got into the top five, then we would be even stronger at reserve with Zack Cook or Jack Thomas. 

Exactly, Roynon isn't on his current average for no reason, naturally we all think he can improve his average ad he should beat all the two pointers but so will Newman, those two should be the best reserve pairing in the league. 

• Like 1