British Speedway Forum

Short interview with Team Manager Gavin Parr:

On 3/15/2023 at 8:31 AM, StevePark said:

Short interview with Team Manager Gavin Parr:

Sensible comments by Gavin

Meeting called off today with all the riders and quite a few fans in the stadium.

Hearing the riders refused to ride the track in some quarters and some where saying the ref had called it off....

Feel for Stuart Robson and all the riders and fans who had travelled over today.

Very late call off for most people !!

Again,a farce in the first meeting of the season.if the track was unfit then why wasn't this called off a lot earlier? In these testing times surely another waste of supporters money,wasted trip and wasted time and if the track only became unrideable late on then apologies for this post.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jeffo said:

Meeting called off today with all the riders and quite a few fans in the stadium.

Hearing the riders refused to ride the track in some quarters and some where saying the ref had called it off....

Feel for Stuart Robson and all the riders and fans who had travelled over today.

Modern times,alot of riders if the track aint dry and slick they dont want to know!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Modern times,alot of riders if the track aint dry and slick they dont want to know!

Would agree.Unfortunately nothing is going to change .

Just watched a short video interview of Robbo saying the track was not fit to race the track had work carried out yesterday but overnight rain ruined it, yes an earlier call off might have helped...I traveled over from Cumbria  with my nephew and arrived at the gate only to be told it was off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Just watched a short video interview of Robbo saying the track was not fit to race the track had work carried out yesterday but overnight rain ruined it, yes an earlier call off might have helped...I traveled over from Cumbria  with my nephew and arrived at the gate only to be told it was off.

You have to feel for Robbo.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Moranboys said:

Again,a farce in the first meeting of the season.if the track was unfit then why wasn't this called off a lot earlier? In these testing times surely another waste of supporters money,wasted trip and wasted time and if the track only became unrideable late on then apologies for this post.

Explanation from the Farewell Committee (copied and pasted off Facebook) is given on the Robbo's Farewell thread in Testimonial Section on the Forum.

On 3/19/2023 at 7:48 PM, Fromafar said:

Would agree.Unfortunately nothing is going to change .

Just like stupid fans making stupid statements without knowing what actually happened. The track was deemed on early Saturday to getting better and likely to go ahead on the Sunday. Unfortunately there was a sudden downpour in the afternoon and evening which went straight into the track. Work started early on Sunday to remedy the problem but with massive efforts from track staff and volunteers vans, they couldn't get the track to harden up and therefore safe to ride on. All agreed with that decision, riders, track staff, referees and the public. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 2:50 PM, Jeffo said:

The riders were never going to ride it, and Stuart, referees and the trackstaff agreed they would not be able to make it fit to ride as it would have been unsafe.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Just like stupid fans making stupid statements without knowing what actually happened. The track was deemed on early Saturday to getting better and likely to go ahead on the Sunday. Unfortunately there was a sudden downpour in the afternoon and evening which went straight into the track. Work started early on Sunday to remedy the problem but with massive efforts from track staff and volunteers vans, they couldn't get the track to harden up and therefore safe to ride on. All agreed with that decision, riders, track staff, referees and the public. 

Stupid comments from yourself.Fans seem to know better than Promotions in recent seasons given what I’ve witnessed first hand.I applaud the track staff efforts but surely history tells them not to bother if things are not perfect nowadays.I sure it was the right decision but They could have saved themselves a lot of hard work.No consideration for travelling fans.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Stupid comments from yourself.Fans seem to know better than Promotions in recent seasons given what I’ve witnessed first hand.I applaud the track staff efforts but surely history tells them not to bother if things are not perfect nowadays.I sure it was the right decision but They could have saved themselves a lot of hard work.No consideration for travelling fans.

No! No! No!

The opinions of those within the "inner sanctum" are always right...

And the opinions of those who only pay to watch the sport (and therefore keep it going), are always invariably wrong...

Thought someone who has been on here so long like you have mate would have grasped this by now..;):D..

• Sad 1

A speedway rider from Redcar

would often ride below par

he eventually got it right to the supporters delight

and now he is a true star.