British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

You’re correct but I still think, because of the fairness of our track, we cannot achieve the same home winning gaps as some others can and that will have an effect now that we’re back to the aggregate bonus point. That doesn’t particularly worry me but it will worry the trophy chasing fans. 

While I agree with you to an extent, this team looks set up for ashfield so I'd predict a few 55-60 home wins tbh

However, even those around ashfield are dam exciting. Berwick in the league immediately springs to mind, brilliant racing that night

Edited by Jaizer
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

You’re correct but I still think, because of the fairness of our track, we cannot achieve the same home winning gaps as some others can and that will have an effect now that we’re back to the aggregate bonus point. That doesn’t particularly worry me but it will worry the trophy chasing fans. 

I had thought that the change in point structure would adversely effect us but this season we would have still finished second, a lot closer to Leicester than the current scoring system.

Scoring 40 odd points on the road meant we would have picked up plenty of bonus point but faltering in heats 13 & 15 meant we didn't pick up the away wins that got 3/4 points.  

• Like 1

I thought the racing was good at Shawfield even when racking up big scores as we had racers like Mick Powell and Jesper Olsen so it wasn't from the gate. 

Ashfield is a good track and is there to be raced on but interestingly Justin Sedgmen commentating on the BSN stream during one of the many gaps in racing at the abortive Poole meeting reckoned with the banking it took a bit of getting used to but once dialled in you had a good home advantage. Possibly this explains why we again have good racing and big home wins. Don't think there's anything to fear with the new points system. 

When used in the past the aggregate bonus point had little or no effect on the league champions. From memory only Exeter benefited from it ...and just once. In any case with the play offs it's a bit of an irrelevance. 

13 minutes ago, Beirao said:

In any case with the play offs it's a bit of an irrelevance. 

It's not an irrelevance if you don't make the play-offs because of silly dropped points and bad decisions have cost us valuable points away from home in the past and worse still surrendered heat points at home.

Yeah, the real "problem" is compared to the other consistently top teams, Glasgow don't have enough success away from home when it comes to the playoffs. At home, we lost once in 2019 (to Scunthorpe, on a dreadful track in nasty conditions), once in 2021 (to Edinburgh), and this season, once to Poole (plus a draw).

I don't buy the lack of home advantage at Ashfield. Yes, other riders like the track, but that doesn't mean they ride it better. Connor Bailey is a great example of that, but you see it with the whole team really.

The track helps our boys to pass when they don't gate just as much as it gives opportunities to others. And a wily home rider can still keep others behind - Ulle did this very well often this season, despite clearly struggling for pace on the bike on numerous occasions. It's not quite like Belle Vue where if a guy is faster, it looks like there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Our problem has been the lack of heat winners away from home. 2019 was our best season and with a bit of luck we could have won the play offs and that was the year we had three strong heat leaders - Cook, Rasmus Jensen and Vissing. Teams that do well in the play offs usually have a strong top three. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Who is saying they are investing money to not win, or to come second? That’s clearly not what’s being said.

And that's not what meant I was not being derogatory towards the owners purely my take On it that they invest in your team and must be disappointed not to win trophies or maybe they are not.Still you pay your money and take your choice.

9 hours ago, Jaizer said:

While I agree with you to an extent, this team looks set up for ashfield so I'd predict a few 55-60 home wins tbh

However, even those around ashfield are dam exciting. Berwick in the league immediately springs to mind, brilliant racing that night

The only boring one was Newcastle, but they took the piss. Didn’t even send a replacement in heat two after a 2 minute exclusion. The meeting was an early glimpse into the inevitable doom of the team.

Next rider announced at 3pm. Will they eventually put gaz out his misery and announce Harris or will they make him wait a bit longer?  We’ll soon find out.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Next rider announced at 3pm. Will they eventually put gaz out his misery and announce Harris or will they make him wait a bit longer?  We’ll soon find out.

Might be Santa or a 4 pointer 

30 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

I'd say keep him waiting as I suppose it could still be a different rider like Howarth! Unless he has opted out of Champ. I know he said he wanted to ride abroad more next season. 

37 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I'd say keep him waiting as I suppose it could still be a different rider like Howarth! Unless he has opted out of Champ. I know he said he wanted to ride abroad more next season. 

Can't see Howarth ever riding for us, he is a great rider but doesn't like us

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

Might be Santa or a 4 pointer 

I'm sure Rudolph and his mates are more than 4 pointers. Their antlers always look pretty big to me. :D

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

Never been good at ashfield until this year either

18 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

Good boy ;)

• Haha 3