British Speedway Forum
Monarchs2468

World Cup - Wroclaw July 2023

No complaints about any riders or lack of effort,but I think we outthought ourselves with the Bewley situation at reserve.Should have just trusted Adam or Tom at reserve and swapped around if required.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

No complaints about any riders or lack of effort,but I think we outthought ourselves with the Bewley situation at reserve.Should have just trusted Adam or Tom at reserve and swapped around if required.

I think Bewley at reserve was fine …. Just that Adam was quicker than Tom tonight 

3 minutes ago, Gavan said:

I think Bewley at reserve was fine …. Just that Adam was quicker than Tom tonight 

Fair enough but you couldn’t swap them round.Dan did get extra ride but was sitting about too long IMO.

41 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

But even these races he had to pass opponents ,he was last coming out the 2 nd bend in most of his races.

He's "Out of the top drawer" ! sheer box office almost every race

Just now, Fromafar said:

Fair enough but you couldn’t swap them round.Dan did get extra ride but was sitting about too long IMO.

Yeah, Bewley didn't have a ride for 6-8 heats on the trot, which corresponded with Woffinden's form disappearing.  So the Two riders who knew the track best had nothing for their team mates.

It also put an awful lot of pressure on Bewkey in his first World Cup.

52 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The theory was sound - in theory! It's amazing how much thought goes into stuff like this, but in practice, it rarely turns out the way it was planned.

Great entertainment with close scores and close racing tonight.

I'm not a fan, but what a brilliant ride from Janowski under huge pressure in the last race. He's not the man I would have picked to take the pressure last race, but he delivered spectacularly.

SWC is just so much better than the SoN...Please tell me that we don't have to wait 3 years to see this again.

• Like 2

Superb effort by Team GB .

We all expected Poland to win but to run them so close and then lose in the last heat is so disappointing. All of the team contributed, no more than Ellis for his 2pts when I was cursing that Bewley wasn't used as a reserve ride. It was a superb meeting and great event for speedway. Close but no cigar. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hackett said:

Superb effort by Team GB .

We all expected Poland to win but to run them so close and then lose in the last heat is so disappointing. All of the team contributed, no more than Ellis for his 2pts when I was cursing that Bewley wasn't used as a reserve ride. It was a superb meeting and great event for speedway. Close but no cigar. 

Agree 100 percent, top effort by team GB and a great meeting as well, unless you were there in the moment probably harsh to comment on decisions made.

On 7/27/2023 at 6:04 AM, chunky said:

POL 30 - Zmarzlik 15, Dudek 8, Janowski 7.

DEN 24 - Madsen 11, Thomsen 7, Michelsen 6.

GBR 35 - Bewley 13, Lambert 11, Woffinden 11.

AUS 37 - Holder 14, Doyle 13, Fricke 10.

Now, let's look at my rough forecast from Thursday...

Poland - Bartek didn't reach the 15, but Janowski was spot on, and Dudek was close.

Denmark - Madsen was top scorer (as I thought he would be), Thomsen was only a couple out, and I over-rated Michelsen.

GB - Bewley wasn't as good as we thought (or hoped), Woffy should have been closer (considering the start he had), and Lambert was pretty damn close.

Australia - Jack Holder would probably have been closer, while Doyle was top scorer instead of second-highest. I clearly over-estimated Fricke.

So, I did say that while the Aussies appeared to be the strongest on paper, a lot depended on Fricken and Lidsey; and that is why they failed. Denmark had Jensen, and nobody expected that performance. GB had both Bewley and Woffinden under-performing, which proved their undoing. One good race from either (when they slipped up), and we would have had it, but Kubera made the difference for Poland.

Kubera and Jensen were the two I hadn't listed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col said:

Ugh. Return of the SoN? When the SoN was introduced the Poles were never going to be beaten in a 4 man format. The Poles cruised the previous two SWC's 2016 SoN & 2017 Leszno.

Tonight has proved that is no longer the case.

There is nothing wrong with the 2 man format,  it's just not as good!

I also prefer SWC, but SON is better if you want more countries to be able to be competitive. SoN requires only two good riders which widens potential
participating countries and how competitive they are. I think both complement each other, but should be every other year and

GB with Lambert + Bewley
DK with Madsen + Jensen
Swe with Lindgren + LIndbäck
PL with Bart + Kubera
Lat with Lebedevs + Gusts
Cze with Milik + Kvech
RUS with Laguta + Emil
France with Berge and Bellego.

These are fairly strong teams even if all of them are perhaps not title candidates.

Thoroughly enjoyed last night’s meeting. A real shame that we couldn’t get it over the line. After binning it and costing Poland the SoN final the other year though it was a nice redemption moment for Janowski. 

While I’m glad we’re not having a World Cup every year (it devalues the tournament), I do wonder how competitive we will be in 2026.

2 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

I also prefer SWC, but SON is better if you want more countries to be able to be competitive. SoN requires only two good riders which widens potential
participating countries and how competitive they are. I think both complement each other, but should be every other year and

GB with Lambert + Bewley
DK with Madsen + Jensen
Swe with Lindgren + LIndbäck
PL with Bart + Kubera
Lat with Lebedevs + Gusts
Cze with Milik + Kvech
RUS with Laguta + Emil
France with Berge and Bellego.

These are fairly strong teams even if all of them are perhaps not title candidates.

In all respect but I do not believe Artem and Emil will be representing Russia any time soon.....

8 minutes ago, hagonshocker said:

In all respect but I do not believe Artem and Emil will be representing Russia any time soon.....

they could represent the lgbtq community you like Liverpool are doing the pride march because Kiev cant do it, its only fair.:drink:

30 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed last night’s meeting. A real shame that we couldn’t get it over the line. After binning it and costing Poland the SoN final the other year though it was a nice redemption moment for Janowski. 

While I’m glad we’re not having a World Cup every year (it devalues the tournament), I do wonder how competitive we will be in 2026.

Brennan and an other could step up in that time whilst Lambert and Bewley will be in there prime….