British Speedway Forum

Workington Town Rugby averaged 1000 for their fixtures last season. Workington Reds are attracting 650 this season. It will be interesting to see how the Comets compare.

Don't think town got anywhere near 1000 at games, only won once all year and nearly folded mid season 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Went to the match yesterday at 14.55 their were as many people in a queue to get in as was inside  4 blokes opened some gates and took money off people didnt hand out tickets hope they were from the club lol.good news whitehaven won

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Neila said:

Don't think town got anywhere near 1000 at games, only won once all year and nearly folded mid season 

They were no where near 1000

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Neila said:

Workington Town RLFC season 2022.........Total attendance for 14 home games at Derwent Park = 13,303..(for confirmation pls see RL Record Keepers site).

Which by my reckoning = an average of 950 per home game............................quite close then to 1,000.........would you care to agree marra?

(Town won twice in 2022, three if you count Ike Southward Trophy).

I would just love, love it, if Comets had similar attendance figures this season.

3 hours ago, H20 said:

They were no where near 1000

See above H20...................cheers

Edited by singy13
  • Like 1

Singy13 will agree to agree marra, but blokes at work who go to town matches all the time said crowds were well down !!  Hopefully the comets will have the best crowds in West Cumbria 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Neila said:

Singy13 will agree to agree marra, but blokes at work who go to town matches all the time said crowds were well down !!  Hopefully the comets will have the best crowds in West Cumbria 

Yeah I agree with your last sentence. I'm a fan of both RL and Speedway and have missed my fix of Comets action.

My niggling worry regarding Comets is the stadium is not as amenable for 'walk up' support as Derwent Park is/was.........and all the years experience of following both teams tells me Worky folk like 'home comforts' as it were..........hopefully they'll prove me wrong. UTT and UTC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

Yeah I agree with your last sentence. I'm a fan of both RL and Speedway and have missed my fix of Comets action.

My niggling worry regarding Comets is the stadium is not as amenable for 'walk up' support as Derwent Park is/was.........and all the years experience of following both teams tells me Worky folk like 'home comforts' as it were..........hopefully they'll prove me wrong. UTT and UTC.

Yea agree it's a bit out of the way, but so is Redcar they have a good track good racing and the crowds are on the increase, IMO if the product is good (good track/racing) the crowds will follow .  hope the weather improves so the guys can continue the good work, and maybe get some training schools in to test the track and bring some income into the club    UTC

24 minutes ago, Neila said:

Yea agree it's a bit out of the way, but so is Redcar they have a good track good racing and the crowds are on the increase, IMO if the product is good (good track/racing) the crowds will follow .  hope the weather improves so the guys can continue the good work, and maybe get some training schools in to test the track and bring some income into the club    UTC

You're so right with a good perseived product in whatever league you start/ end up in, get that right and people will come. Also as an away fan always preferred going to an out of town venue rather than a town centre type ( being an Eastie fan I suppose). Went to Tralawney a couple of times on holiday when they were running, that really was remote in a disused china clay pit, but had a pretty good track, a young Chris Harris and pulled in good numbers. Your new track looks to be a winner so sure you'll do fine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Many moons ago can recall that Hackney Hawks used to have a shuttle bus service from near the tube station to the ground.  Used that two or three times as I recall.  About 30 mins before start time I think. Either free or nominal charge cannot be certain too far back.  Maybe something like that would work for Comets i.e. pickup point somewhere very central for those who are not able/don't wish to walk a distance.  Return immediately after match.  Not familiar with the area or cost implications for the club but it's maybe one for the suggestion box ?

21 hours ago, SlicktrackSandy said:

Many moons ago can recall that Hackney Hawks used to have a shuttle bus service from near the tube station to the ground.  Used that two or three times as I recall.  About 30 mins before start time I think. Either free or nominal charge cannot be certain too far back.  Maybe something like that would work for Comets i.e. pickup point somewhere very central for those who are not able/don't wish to walk a distance.  Return immediately after match.  Not familiar with the area or cost implications for the club but it's maybe one for the suggestion box ?

I travelled on the free bus from Leyton station to the Hawks meetings on many occasions. At one time they had buses to a number of different places and used some almost vintage buses on the services which even to a railway enthusiast were quite interesting. A lot of people used the buses but sadly they stopped running them and left people to walk which I know caused some less able supporters to stop going.

3 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I travelled on the free bus from Leyton station to the Hawks meetings on many occasions. At one time they had buses to a number of different places and used some almost vintage buses on the services which even to a railway enthusiast were quite interesting. A lot of people used the buses but sadly they stopped running them and left people to walk which I know caused some less able supporters to stop going.

I can vividly recall taking a normal service bus from central London to Hackney speedway stadium....(or as close as it got to stadium).....it was a nightmare(ish) journey of what felt like about 2 hours...all I could think during the awful trek was "Friday at eight, don't be late".....we got there just as Heat One was at gate - having set off at 6ish.....I would have been more stressed if Comets had been involved though ha, ha.

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

I can vividly recall taking a normal service bus from central London to Hackney speedway stadium....(or as close as it got to stadium).....it was a nightmare(ish) journey of what felt like about 2 hours...all I could think during the awful trek was "Friday at eight, don't be late".....we got there just as Heat One was at gate - having set off at 6ish.....I would have been more stressed if Comets had been involved though ha, ha.

30 from Marble Arch via King's Cross to Hackney Wick

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, arnieg said:

30 from Marble Arch via King's Cross to Hackney Wick

That would have been a nightmare journey, much quicker and easier on the central line to Leyton and then either the special bus or a 20 minute walk.